Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003
Not exactly. I worked in a hospital. They write off millions every year.
And wo pays for the write off?

Taxpayers. You guys don't seem to get the fact the taxpayer is paying for the uninsured now.
No, not the taxpayer. At least, not until Obamacare is fully implemented. (That's one of the changes it makes.)

Presently, the writeoffs are paid for by the people who go to the hospital, who DO pay their bills.

Didn't you wonder why that aspirin pill cost $50? And why a change of linen is $425? Now you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Oh, will it?

Like France, Germany, Switzerland - those countries with evil universal health care and longer lifespans (and lower expenses).
And patients who come to the United States for treatment when they can't get what they need in France, Gemany, and Switzerland?

Those countries?

BTW, where will they go once Obamacare is implemented here, and they can no longer get what they need here?

For that matter, where will WE go?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
No, not the taxpayer. At least, not until Obamacare is fully implemented. (That's one of the changes it makes.)

Presently, the writeoffs are paid for by the people who go to the hospital, who DO pay their bills.

Didn't you wonder why that aspirin pill cost $50? And why a change of linen is $425? Now you know.

And that's fair...how? I don't know about you, but I don't like paying for a $50 aspirin tablet.

Who pays for the county hospitals to write off bad debt?

I would rather my money go for people to have insurance.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
And that's fair...how? I don't know about you, but I don't like paying for a $50 aspirin tablet.

Who pays for the county hospitals to write off bad debt?

I would rather my money go for people to have insurance.
Sounds good. Write them a check!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Sounds good. Write them a check!

Great, as soon as you pay for the uninsured.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
And wo pays for the write off?

Taxpayers. You guys don't seem to get the fact the taxpayer is paying for the uninsured now.
Please list for me the line item in the yearly budget which is for reinbusement of these write offs

Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Reports are coming out now that say the cheapest Obamacare plan for a family of four, costs around $20,000.

If that family does not sign up for Obamacare, and just pays the penalty it calls for, (oops, the Supremes say that's a "tax" now)... then how much to they pay?

BTW, they pay the penalty only if they are due an Income Tax refund on April 15, right? If they have to write the govt a check on April 15 instead, then the govt can't charge them that Obamacare penalty.

So, is that family of 4 better off financially if they don't sign up for Obamacare? And if one of them does get sick or injured, then they can sign up at that point, and the Obamacare insurance company must take them, even though the sickness or injury is now a "pre-existing condition".

So, what's the best deal, dollar-wise? Pay $20,000 for Obamacare, or pay only the penalty on April 15 (which might be zero), and then sign up later if you get sick or injured and pay only that fraction of the $20,000? After you are cured, then of course you drop the Obamacare policy immediately, to minimize what you pay... until the next time you get sick.
The question in the OP remains unanswered.

Is it better economically for a family of four to sign up to pay $20,000/yr for Obamacare, or to drop their policy, pay the penalty (which could be zero) and only sign up when one of them gets sick or injured? And then drop the policy again as soon as they are cured?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Oh, will it?

Like France, Germany, Switzerland - those countries with evil universal health care and longer lifespans (and lower expenses).
You expose your ignorance of demographics and genetics. The big difference is that those countries have French, German and Swiss people.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:55 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
The question in the OP remains unanswered.

Is it better economically for a family of four to sign up to pay $20,000/yr for Obamacare, or to drop their policy, pay the penalty (which could be zero) and only sign up when one of them gets sick or injured? And then drop the policy again as soon as they are cured?
I say pay the penalty. You may never need the insurance.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You expose your ignorance of demographics and genetics. The big difference is that those countries have French, German and Swiss people.
So it's because we have black people and eat more McDonald's?

So you don't have a problem with our health care system, you're saying the expense is due to other factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies