Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,261,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Stop taking everything so personally if his rant does not describe you why bother responding to him?

Because he is making an assinine blanket statement that insinulates that ALL blacks aer included. If no one contest his stupidity others would look upon it as agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Rocco Barbosa's post just REEKS of self-hatred. He claims to be mixed black/puerto rican (pretty much black in my book), but yet he talks about his own people so poorly. I mean it's like dude, you have a black parent, you are talking about your parent!!! You're talking about your own family. I'm assuming you live in a large metropolitan area. If that's the case, I'm sure there are a lot of blacks who fit that very description but for some reason I highly doubt that every black that you encounter does. I also quite doubt that there are not a lot of black middle class citizens where you are from.

Does the black community have a lot of problems? Absolutely. Do they need to be addressed? MOST DEFINITE! However, that does NOT justify being berating and condescending. Pea brains? Seriously? Don't want to deal w/ blacks? Refuse to live around them? Yeah, not going to get you the results you want. This is just going to push people away. I know that if someone were speaking to me in that manner, that's what it would do for me.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,092,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Just because you don't hear about it does not mean that it does not exist. Because of statements like the one that is one of the reasons that racism and ignorance exist today. The media is only going to report what makes them money. Many people do not realize that there is a major drug probelm in white occupied suburbs but the police are told not to focus on those areas because of the political power in those areas.
Having gone to a predominantly White high school(and middle school) myself, I've heard many things about the drugs that exists in my old high school. One student, who was two years ahead of me, told me about some of the drugs that were in the school when she was there, and how discipline was a joke when it came to this. I never heard anything about the power structure. I never saw cocaine, alcohol or marijuana in the school, but there were a few students who got busted for its use. Why did the get busted? They did their dirt in front of a staff member. One boy smoked pot near staff members and got caught, just like that. A girl skipped class, went somewhere, got drunk, and returned to school drunk. Someone saw here and she got in big trouble.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Having gone to a predominantly White high school(and middle school) myself, I've heard many things about the drugs that exists in my old high school. One student, who was two years ahead of me, told me about some of the drugs that were in the school when she was there, and how discipline was a joke when it came to this. I never heard anything about the power structure. I never saw cocaine, alcohol or marijuana in the school, but there were a few students who got busted for its use. Why did the get busted? They did their dirt in front of a staff member. One boy smoked pot near staff members and got caught, just like that. A girl skipped class, went somewhere, got drunk, and returned to school drunk. Someone saw here and she got in big trouble.
I'm almost ashamed to admit what went on in my school. The boys bathroom routinely smelled like weed, no one openly sold, purchased or used coke (too expensive) and alcohol use was strictly for football games. The interesting thing though, in my 4 years of high school I have only seen on fight there and came from a transfer student who was drunk. We did not have metal detectors or problems with weapons being brought into the school either. What was really weird was the fact that I went to a high school at the time was over 95% black and had a respectable graduation rate (one person flunked in my class)

Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,092,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I'm almost ashamed to admit what went on in my school. The boys bathroom routinely smelled like weed, no one openly sold, purchased or used coke (too expensive) and alcohol use was strictly for football games. The interesting thing though, in my 4 years of high school I have only seen on fight there and came from a transfer student who was drunk. We did not have metal detectors or problems with weapons being brought into the school either. What was really weird was the fact that I went to a high school at the time was over 95% black and had a respectable graduation rate (one person flunked in my class)
No metal detectors or weapons problems. Sounds like that would have been nice. Out of curiosity, where was this school?

I never knew what weed smelled like, but I did hear of kids using drugs. The smell of weed would have freaked me out in high school. Today it doesn't shock me to hear about drugs in any public school. They're everywhere. At one time there was a drug dealer in my neighborhood(only one), and he later got locked up.

When I was in middle school(and it was about 95% White at the time), 2 girls got in serious trouble for carrying cigarettes in their bras. Both girls were White. What was even more strange is that these were 6th grade girls, girls who were in my homeroom.

My graduating class started out with over 400 students and ended with out 240 students. Alot of students dropped out, flunked, and some had children. I don't know if we had metal detectors in our school or not. There was one incident that I know of where someone got caught with a weapon, and it was a machete. I heard of a few kids who have pocket knives on them.

I got into some fights in my high school. There were also some fights from other students. Some fights actually stemmed from the Confederate flag from what I was told.

There were kids who used drugs, as well as drinkers. However, the most widely used illegal substance in my old high school was dipping tobacco. Some students would take Coca-Cola or Mr. Pib to class, and spit the stuff into the bottle to disguise it.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No metal detectors or weapons problems. Sounds like that would have been nice. Out of curiosity, where was this school?

Schenley High in Pittsburgh, mind you that was in 1982

I never knew what weed smelled like, but I did hear of kids using drugs. The smell of weed would have freaked me out in high school. Today it doesn't shock me to hear about drugs in any public school. They're everywhere. At one time there was a drug dealer in my neighborhood(only one), and he later got locked up.

I only knew one drug dealer at that time and he was a year younger than I was but he dropped out of High School in the 9th grade and sold coke fulltime. Two years of the crack craze he got out of the game and bought a construction company in N.Carolina

When I was in middle school(and it was about 95% White at the time), 2 girls got in serious trouble for carrying cigarettes in their bras. Both girls were White. What was even more strange is that these were 6th grade girls, girls who were in my homeroom.

Wow, I can't recall anyone that I knew that smoked cigarettes at that age.

My graduating class started out with over 400 students and ended with out 240 students. Alot of students dropped out, flunked, and some had children. I don't know if we had metal detectors in our school or not. There was one incident that I know of where someone got caught with a weapon, and it was a machete. I heard of a few kids who have pocket knives on them.

My graduating class was about 321, with one person repeating and three pregnacies (they still graduated on time)
I guess that at my school many folks had a nice buzz and did not want to mess it up by fighting

I got into some fights in my high school. There were also some fights from other students. Some fights actually stemmed from the Confederate flag from what I was told.

Not a problem at mine

There were kids who used drugs, as well as drinkers. However, the most widely used illegal substance in my old high school was dipping tobacco. Some students would take Coca-Cola or Mr. Pib to class, and spit the stuff into the bottle to disguise it.
I did not see that until I went to school at PSU

When my son graduated from the same school they had put metal detectors up mainly because of what happened in other schools. The weed smell in the bathrooms was gone, equipment got better and so did the diversity, two years later they closed it because of abestos(?) and overall low population in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies