Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you put money in a tip jar at non-resturaunt establishments?
YES 13 26.00%
NO 37 74.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times

Advertisements

And when I mean non-resturaunt I mean, deli's, pizza places, etc. I think you get the idea.
What is with all the tip jars today? I was in Dunkin Donuts to get coffee yesterday and saw a tip jar. Went to Primo's for a sandwich and saw one. Needless to say I did not tip. Why do I need to tip you to do your job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Tipping should be eliminated, EVERYWHERE!
Yes, I know, the restaurants will have to charge more to cover the increased wages, but so be it. Those who have good food and good service will survive. Those who don't, won't.
Besides, the percentage of acceptable tips has been going up. a "good tip" used to be 10%. Then it became 15%, and I have seen it "suggested" on some tabs that 20% is now appropriate!
How long will it be before they want 25%?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
agreed - tipping is a scam and a mugs game!

it's one of the biggest jokes out there, with the main joke being on the punter who has to pay the wages of the staff, then the tip goes to the owner, what a big ****ing, right wing joke!

abolish it

Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
agreed - tipping is a scam and a mugs game!

it's one of the biggest jokes out there, with the main joke being on the punter who has to pay the wages of the staff, then the tip goes to the owner, what a big ****ing, right wing joke!

abolish it
You must be a real prize to wait on in a resturant.
Whats a scam is the wait staff having to claim tips to the IRS.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 AM

679 posts, read 614,565 times
If its a business where they just hand me my things then no. I've noticed that lots of places like that have also started including a tip line on their credit card slips and I can understand why. If you can get people to give you money, why wouldn't you try. I don't think that its necessary and I'm not going to tip them, but I can understand why they would do that.

Also, I know several people who hate to have change in their pockets so they'll always dump that into a tip jar if they have the opportunity, so once again if there's a chance of that happening you would want to make sure that they can if they want to. I also know some OCD people that like to have rounded out dollar amounts charged to their card so they like to tip up from 9.34 to 10.00 or something along those lines.

Now if someone does something that's above and beyond the just preparing the food and handing it to me then yeah I'll be inclined to tip because that's what tipping is for, but that's not often the case.

In the end, I'm completely fine with a tip line on a receipt or a tip jar existing in case I want to make use of them, but if someone starts pressuring me at a fast food joint to give them a tip when all they did was turn around pick up the meal and hand it to me, that's when I have a problem. Otherwise I could care less, its not doing me any harm.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
And when I mean non-resturaunt I mean, deli's, pizza places, etc. I think you get the idea.
What is with all the tip jars today? I was in Dunkin Donuts to get coffee yesterday and saw a tip jar. Went to Primo's for a sandwich and saw one. Needless to say I did not tip. Why do I need to tip you to do your job?

At places like Subway, Dunkin Donuts or any other fast food place.... no. At a sit down restaurant like Dennys, Applebees... yes.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
While as a rule I don't tip for counter service, although I do tip valet type services, tipping isn't mandatory so I don't understand all the consternation. If you want to tip, if you don't, don't.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
I tip when the wait staff brings me food.
If they don't bring the food, I don't tip.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
your poll should have a '''depends''' choice too

the other day I went into DD....got a large coffee...bill was 2.25...left the penny in the jar
the day before gave 3, got 76 cents back.. left it in the jar

the only real reason is I dint want to carry the coin change.

other than that, tipping is not required in those places as you are not being waited on and served on plates

Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
If I can be reasonably sure that the workers are making regular wages vs. waitress/waiter wages, then no, I won't tip. I have no problem tipping when I'm served in a regular restaurant and the waiter/waitress is depending on those tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies