Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in extraterrestial life?
Yes. Those UFO sightings and abductions are "them." 32 22.07%
Yes. I believe in intelligent life, but intelligent life has yet to contact us yet. Those sightings and abductions are crazy people being crazy. 60 41.38%
Maybe to yes. I could believe that there are bacteria, cells, organisms on another planet somewhere maybe. 44 30.34%
No. All forms of life, as we know it in science, only exist on earth. 9 6.21%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
No reputable scientist believes the earth is 6,000 years old. The only way you believe that is you first misinterpret some religious book. . then you try to discredit/credit everything that gets you to 6,000 years

if your religion faith is so on shaky ground that you can't admit that mankind's lifespan is thousands (like 50 to 100,000) and that earths is in billions of years. . . then maybe, you should dial up another religion. Catholicism has openings, and don't ask you to believe anything like 6,000 years old

Dinosaurs and humans, heh. Watch that show on NBC that was cancelled or something

what does this have to do with UFOs though?
The earth has been around for 2,013 years..!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Approximately six thousand years old.
[LEFT]It’s older than cavemen. It predates the dinosaurs. And it just might contain clues to the possibility of life on Mars.
A team of U.K.-Canadian scientists have discovered billion-year-old water deep underground in an Ontario mine and, according to their research published in the journal Nature on Wednesday, they think it might actually contain life.
“We've found an interconnected fluid system in the deep Canadian crystalline basement that is billions of years old, and capable of supporting life,” University of Manchester professor Chris Ballentine said in a news release. “Our finding is of huge interest to researchers who want to understand how microbes evolve in isolation, and is central to the whole question of the origin of life, the sustainability of life, and life in extreme environments and on other planets.”
Researchers from the universities of Manchester, Lancaster, Toronto and McMaster analyzed water pouring out of boreholes 2.4 kilometres underground near Timmins, Ontario.
The water contains a nourishing cocktail of gases – like hydrogen, methane and different forms of noble gases – that could sustain microbes that haven’t seen sunlight for billions of years

Read more: Billion-year-old water found in Ontario, potentially contains life | CTV News
[/LEFT]

Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
H2 has a program on right now about the origins of mankind, suggesting we were seeded or colonized from the universe. We only utilize 5% of our DNA to reproduce. The rest is what they call junk DNA. The suggestion is that perhaps it will come into play at a later time in our evolution.
This also suggests that the universe is teaming with life.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Default Not that I believe in all this "God" stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
No. There is no other life on any other planets. God made the Earth a special part of creation. The Bible doesn't speak of other life forms on other planets, only those on Earth, because life only exists on this planet.
That is not necessarily true. You've chosen to believe there is no life anywhere but on Earth all on your own; the bible does not in any way support your personal theory on this. Further, who are you to suggest that if God created life on other planets, he must inform the inhabitants of Earth in the bible? Maybe he decided it wasn't important for us to know? Maybe he knew we'd just kill ourselves trying to travel there and fight over these planets like we fought over all these places on Earth?

Quote:
All research, probes, and other evidence confirms this idea. Sure, we haven't explored but a fraction that there is to explore,
That's right. Therefore, the research, probes, and "other evidence" can only confirm that we don't know what the rest of the universe contains.

Quote:
...but there is no life elsewhere. God has made that clear.
So now you are lying about what your God has said. I sure hope for your sake there is no such thing as God at all.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It's always interesting to see the arrogance of those with no belief system. Not really amusing, just interesting.
So, because I don't believe in Santa Claus I don't have a belief system? Both you and that other guyseem to be completely devoid of logic.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,114 times
If the Romans were never forced into Christianity we would have to deal with this.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
I believe there is extraterrestrial life.
With all of the stars, and all of the planets in the entire universe, it would be presumptuous to believe we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth...

Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth...
The truth is most people would probably freak out and cause mass chaos if it were to happen but as time goes on we might be able to handle First contact.

Or if the Government has made first contact and is hiding it from us then them finally letting us know the truth without people freaking out in the streets and stuff might happen just not at this point in time.

Or Maybe E.T. does not want us to know that they have or are here cause maybe they are up to something we might not like or maybe we scare them...

Who knows cause I don't and if I did I am not telling

Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,849 times
I just wanted to say that other posters who I usually agree with and who defend science against the nay-sayers (evolution, etc.) have the blind faith that there is intelligent life on other planets, without a shred of evidence supporting said belief. Isn't that dangerously close to those who you constantly rail against, and edging toward being hypocritical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies