Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for the above initiative?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 19 28.79%
Unsure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm inclined to agree with you in regards to getting yourself geeked on your lunch break. If you're stupid enough to get yourself intoxicated during work hours, and you're caught, then you deserve to be fired. That is just common sense. I would never dream of doing anything like that during work hours. However; when it's on MY time then it's nobody elses business! As for cannabis being against the law, I fully support the repealing of its prohibition. When you have alcohol, and tobacco which is much more harmful, and a growing epidemic of abuse of legal opiates, it's rather silly to continue a war on weed.
I have a don't ask, don't tell policy at my place.

Come in, look professional, and be able to perform your job. Some people can, some people can't. I'll just say that you typically can't perform on the job on the hard drugs (I've never done hard drugs, but would imagine that with most things other than meth??). I'll just say that sometimes its the older people who are tuned out on hard opiates that might be the highest risk on the job (carelessness, forgetfulness, etc). I also generally wouldn't hire someone with major drug offenses if it was recent.

It's just such a big issue when you really think about it. I've never really thought about prescription meds until recently but even they are powerful "drugs" and have made addicts out of a relatively large portion of our population. 106,000 people die each year from prescription meds; comparatively, Less than 18,000 die each year from all illegal drugs combined. Marijuana, with over 100 uses, kills 0 people each year.

Last edited by Gtownoe; 06-07-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 02:10 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The argument I keep hearing is that we should offer them treatment and some even promote the Dutch model of handing out taxpayer funded heroin.
States or counties can offer private treatment centers, but I would not support taxpayers footing the bill or providing the drugs. Nor would I support forcing anyone into treatment.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I have a don't ask, don't tell policy at my place.

Come in, look professional, and be able to perform your job. Some people can, some people can't. I'll just say that you typically can't perform on the job on the hard drugs (I've never done hard drugs, but would imagine that with most things other than meth??). I'll just say that sometimes its the older people who are tuned out on hard opiates that might be the highest risk on the job (carelessness, forgetfulness, etc). I also wouldn't normally hire someone with major drug offenses if they were recent.

It's just such a big issue when you really think about it. I've never really thought about prescription meds until recently but even they are powerful "drugs" and have made addicts out of a relatively large portion of our population. 106,000 people die each year from prescription meds; comparatively, Less than 18,000 die each year from all illegal drugs combined. Marijuana, with over 100 uses, kills 0 people each year.
Good point.
The problem with your poll is that most people are saying yes to ending the drug war, without looking at the other two amendments to your bill. Cancel those and I would vote yes too. Until then, it's a no.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Good point.
The problem with your poll is that most people are saying yes to ending the drug war, without looking at the other two amendments to your bill. Cancel those and I would vote yes too. Until then, it's a no.
I think the last 2 will solve some problems and allow us to figure out who the dangerous people are too society.

I'll put it this way on the Police topic. I don't support the bill being proposed to make it illegal to "annoy" a police officer. I also have zero tolerance for racial profiling or profiling in general unless there is a national emergency (suspect is in a Red 2004 Convertible). I believe the Police's only role is to keep the peace and protect the public. I would support laws to protect our police if we limited their role in our society. I do not believe Police should be revenue generators for the city.

I'm also one of the people who believes that addicts can be treated. It can sometimes take more than a few approaches, but I do believe people can be healed. I've heard more than a few stories and know more than a few people myself. There will definitely be money to cover the issue of government treatment (I believe there should be a place for private practice too). The only way you would be put into treatment would be if you 1st broke a law severe enough that it required a jail sentence. Maybe both treatment options could be offered (jail time then mandatory rehab) or possibly just rehab if it was a lighter offense. Maybe give the accused the option.

Last edited by Gtownoe; 06-07-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I think the last 2 will solve some problems and allow us to figure out who the dangerous people are too society.

I'll put it this way on the Police topic. I don't support the bill being proposed to make it illegal to "annoy" a police officer. I also have zero tolerance for racial profiling or profiling in general unless there is a national emergency (suspect is in a Red 2004 Convertible). I believe the Police's only role is to keep the peace and protect the public. I would support laws to protect our police if we limited their role in our society. I do not believe Police should be revenue generators for the city.

I'm also one of the people who believes that addicts can be treated. It can sometimes take more than a few approaches, but I do believe people can be healed. I've heard more than a few stories and know more than a few people myself. There will definitely be money to cover the issue of government treatment (I believe there should be a place for private practice too). The only way you would be put into treatment would be if you 1st broke a law severe enough that it required a jail sentence. Maybe both treatment options could be offered (jail time then mandatory rehab) or possibly just rehab if it was a lighter offense. Maybe give the accused the option.
You intentions may be good, but what I'm hearing is more control of other peoples behavior. That stuff always blows up in our faces.
It's still a NO

Old 06-07-2013, 02:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
If we ever end the drug war it will be because of the people, not the government IMO.

With that being said, once the people get control of the government again, we'll have more discretion as to what our tax dollars are budgeted for. That's just the way I see it playing out.

I think if we ever end the drug war, it will be because the therapeutic industry lobbyists are able to out-muscle the police-corrections public sector union lobbyists. Either way joe and jane taxpayer will be left holding the bag. We'll either pay for a war on drugs, for police & prisons, or a massive rehab/treatment industry.

I'm skeptical as to whether rehab/treatment works. I admit I am fairly ignorant on the topic, but almost every smoker I know says that he/she wants to quit. If there were an effective addiction treatment out there, they all would have used it and quit by now. I think it still comes down to individual determination.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You intentions may be good, but what I'm hearing is more control of other peoples behavior. That stuff always blows up in our faces.
It's still a NO
I don't see it that way. Unless you think our current system of jailing everybody is working. People would not be arrested for possessing personal stashes of drugs. That would eliminate a lot of arrests. Those arrested for other crimes, and deemed addicts rather than criminals would have the option of rehab or jail. If they want to go to jail they would still have that option.

I don't see how that's any more restrictive then what we have.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think if we ever end the drug war, it will be because the therapeutic industry lobbyists are able to out-muscle the police-corrections public sector union lobbyists. Either way joe and jane taxpayer will be left holding the bag. We'll either pay for a war on drugs, for police & prisons, or a massive rehab/treatment industry.

I'm skeptical as to whether rehab/treatment works. I admit I am fairly ignorant on the topic, but almost every smoker I know says that he/she wants to quit. If there were an effective addiction treatment out there, they all would have used it and quit by now. I think it still comes down to individual determination.
Cigarettes and hard drugs are completely different.

Your not gonna overdose on a cigarette, or not be able to function because of one. People want to quit because they know about the long term health effects. It's not the same as almost overdosing or losing control and harming yourself or others.

I do believe in rehab. I also noted in another post that Portugal has reported that drug use is on the decline among their Younger population. That means a downward trend in addicts for society. Your youth is your future.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm inclined to agree with you in regards to getting yourself geeked on your lunch break. If you're stupid enough to get yourself intoxicated during work hours, and you're caught, then you deserve to be fired. That is just common sense. I would never dream of doing anything like that during work hours. However; when it's on MY time then it's nobody elses business! As for cannabis being against the law, I fully support the repealing of its prohibition. When you have alcohol, and tobacco which is much more harmful, and a growing epidemic of abuse of legal opiates, it's rather silly to continue a war on weed.
Well until it is repealed it is still illegal. I agree what you do in your own home is no concern of mine. Unfortunately like drinkers you have your potheads taking it on the road.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
What happens when all of these organized criminals start turning all of their profits into human trafficking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies