Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Do you want some cheese with that whine?

I know it hasn't crossed your mind yet but, MOST people on here could give a rats a.s about your self inflicted plight.

It is NEVER YOUR fault. It is ALWAYS someone elses.

Housing prices have been the lowest then they have been for a LOOONG time. If you can't afford one now, you never will.

question is, do you support free markets and capitalism, or do you support unfree protectionist markets? it is certainly not my fault that housing markets are unfree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
The world definitely owes you! It's someone else's fault for your situation.

Indeed it is usually government's fault when markets are unfree.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So don't buy a house.

??? but I *want* to buy a house. I want to escape the scourge of rent inflation that keeps increasing my housing costs and keeps me from getting ahead financially. Specifically, I have a particular cozy little 400-sq ft house in mind, with 2,500 sq ft of land. But government won't let the property owner sell it to me.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Some burger flippers do own homes. If the average flipper makes 15K per year, he or she could qualify for a home costing between 30K and 45K (assuming you follow the price of a house should be 2 to 3 times that of your income rule). There are MANY areas in the country where you can purchase a home within that range.

But, you have to have good credit (which you don't), you have to have a down payment (which you don't) and you have to have a stable job (which you don't). Please explain again how it's someone else's fault that you can't buy a home.

??? I have private financing up to $40K arranged through an employer (it's seasonal work I do remotely), I found a house I wanted to buy but government got in the way.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Default andin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I have private financing up to $40K arranged through an employer (it's seasonal work I do remotely), I found a house I wanted to buy but government got in the way.
And you contend that it's the ONE and ONLY home available for that price? Not hardly. IF you really have financing, then the only one standing in your way is YOU. Go out and find another house. If you can't find one in your current location, move. Since you work remotely, you can live where ever the COL and home prices are cheapest.

If the above is true, then you CAN buy a home, but it appears you would rather complain on C-D than do so.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 4,706 times
This is total BS. Too many people were buying homes they had no business buying in the early 2000s. Not everyone should own a home. Home ownership is not like going to a Dr. Some people need to rent. They have no concept of what it takes to own a home. Many can't turn a screwdriver without endangering themselves and others. Many just can't handle owning a home. Pushing people into home ownership is total BS.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
??? but I *want* to buy a house. I want to escape the scourge of rent inflation that keeps increasing my housing costs and keeps me from getting ahead financially. Specifically, I have a particular cozy little 400-sq ft house in mind, with 2,500 sq ft of land. But government won't let the property owner sell it to me.
I see this as BS.
The government is not stopping someone from selling their property if it's zoned correctly.

Yet you have no skills, no credit, nothing.
And you have posted numerous times that you'll do nothing to better your plight.

Everyone has wants.
How does it feel to want?

You choose and have consistently chosen NOT to better yourself or your situation.

2,500 sf land, where do you expect to find that?
I own 2 houses and will never see anything like that.
My property is 1250 sf, typical city dwelling and property.

Do you have a roof over your head?
Better get grateful, lots of people don't have that.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:41 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - Stocks and other financial products are for speculation. Houses are for shelter and not for profit. Buying houses on the bet that they would be worth a lot more in a short time is what ruined the American Housing market. If you want to gamble buy a Lottery Ticket. I heard some grandmother just won over 200 million on a $1 bet.
This is much more in line with my philosophy.

There's factors keeping the housing prices inflated. Since they're not at "real market value" homes are sitting vacant and those in need of housing are missing out.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I know it may be hard for someone as opinionated as you to admit but, "free" is a relative term.

Are you denying we have Freedom of Speech because we have restrictions on that speech like not yelling fire in a theater when there is none?

Do you deny you are FREE to purchase any house that is up for sales if you can afford it?

Your post is just drivel.
What you described is not the same as a free market.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Similarly, the Washington Post notes:
“There is the possibility that Wall Street and the banks and the affluent 1 percent stand to gain the most from this,” said Jack McCabe, a real estate consultant based in Deerfield Beach, Fla. “Meanwhile, lower-income Americans will lose their opportunity for the American Dream of building wealth through owning a home.”

Housing: Recovery

Owning a home does not build wealth. If it did, I should be rich, because I have owned two different homes since 1972, one in San Diego, and now in Ohio.

A home will (in normal economic times) appreciate in value, but one only realizes that appreciation upon the sale of the home, though the increased value does increase ones net worth. Still, this does not make one rich. It helps a little, but that is all.

Becoming "rich" takes more work. It takes planning and saving, and investing those savings wisley. Even so, one may not become "rich," but may only become more secure, more financially independent.

Most people who have become truly rich have worked very hard for it, owning a successful business, growing that business, etc. Others become reasonobly well off by virtue of their job skills (business management), but not everybody is a Bill Gates.

Nobody getting rich is "destroying the American Dream" for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies