Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I was in law school in 1983 (graduated that year). Save for two close friends, I doubt that few, if any, of my 'classmates' would have any reason to remember me. Heck, I can't remember much about them, either.
Even though you later became President of the United States?

Oh, that's right. You didn't.

Mayb that has something to do with why nobody there, remembers you now. D'you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If you don't know the huge difference between a university department and the entire university then I highly doubt that you actually attended.
My framed bachelor's degree on the wall says otherwise.

If I was in the habit of giving out my real name on this board, which I'm not, you could easily verify my years of attendance (and graduation) on the University of Texas at Austin registrar's website.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:07 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,134 times
Quote:
Love how that horse arse Seth MacFarlane leaves the Truthers off his chart. Them Dems are the original conspiracy loons.
9/11 truthers? That is not a mainstream Democrat opinion by any means. In fact, more conservatives/libertarians believe Bush did it than liberals. The Jesse Ventura types.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Love how that horse arse Seth MacFarlane leaves the Truthers off his chart. Them Dems are the original conspiracy loons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
9/11 truthers? That is not a mainstream Democrat opinion by any means. In fact, more conservatives/libertarians believe Bush did it than liberals. The Jesse Ventura types.
This. I've never met a truther who wasn't a self-described libertarian, or who described themselves as being to the right of Bush 43.

There may be some left-wing truthers out there, sure...but as ELR123 said it isn't a mainstream opinion. It's not mainstream on the right either.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
conservatives continue to drift further and further away from reality.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

Mayb that has something to do with why nobody there, remembers you now. D'you think?
So it has been covered, there are plenty of people who went to college with Obama and remembers him.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Any moron can say anything he wants and make it credible to other morons by posting it as a video on Youtube.

From Snopes:

Quote:
Although Barack Obama may not have been particularly social or memorable during his years at Columbia, it isn't true that "no one ever came forward from Obama's past saying they knew him, attended school with him, was his friend, etc." Those who have attested to having daily personal experience with him during his time at that school include:

Friend and roommate Sohale Siddiqi, whom the Associated Press located and interviewed in May 2008.

Roommate Phil Boerner, who provided his recollections of sharing a New York City apartment with classmate Barack Obama to the Columbia College Today alumni publication and the New York Times in early 2009.

Michael L. Baron, who taught the year-long honors seminar in American Foreign Policy that Barack Obama took during his senior year at Columbia and recalled in an NBC interview Obama's "easily acing" the class and receiving an A for his senior paper on the topic of nuclear negotiations with the Soviet Union.

Likewise, other external evidence documents Barack Obama's presence at Columbia from 1981-83, including:

An article by Barack Obama published in the 10 March 1983 edition of Columbia's Sundial school magazine.

A January 2005 Columbia College Today profile of Barack Obama as a Columbia alumnus.

A Columbia College press release from November 2008 identifying him as "the first College alumnus to be elected President of the United States."

Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
So you're just going to make things up?

More than half of Democrats believed Bush knew - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Barack should at least have someone that remembers him. I remember hundreds of people I went to college with. They connect with me on Facebook all the time.
The annual student population at Columbia is about 28,000. There are 20 schools within the university.

Three presidents, including Obama, graduated from Columbia.

Those who lived with him and attended school and choose to comment in public are called fake by the conspiracy crowd. Everyone needs a hobby.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

So, you are saying that if some guy I did not know, who sat in one of my classes in 1983, became President in 2016, for instance, I should suddenly develop a memory of this person decades later?

The tenor of the articles is that while at Columbia (current enrollment 20,000, so probably less in 1983) President Obama (who was not President at the time!) kept a low profile. Even so, some people have recalled him, just like two people would probably recall me. Now, if I were President while in college or law school, no doubt more people would recall me.

I am a reasonable person. For instance, I do not make a snap decision about, say, a Supreme Court case concerning DNA testing of suspects. Do you recall that thread? How you came in, decried the decision and claimed that 'liberals' were in the majority, only to be thereafter absent from the thread when it was pointed out that it was the conservative justices (Justice Scalia excepted) who wrote the majority decision? In that thread I asked if your decision about the case would have changed if you were aware, from the outset, of which 'bloc' of Justices were in the majority, but you never responded.

Anyway, I do not doubt that President Obama attended Columbia University. No reasonable person does. The question of 'why' he is not well-remember by more people is, at bottom, unanswerable. I think the simpliest explanation the most likely: he did not do anything to make himself memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies