Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times

Advertisements

US Federal Budget FY14 Estimated Spending Breakdown - Pie Chart

13% to welfare and 3% to education?

Maybe if we put more to education we wouldn't have to put so much to welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post

Pensions and defense look a just a little fat too.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Pensions and defense look a just a little fat too.
Defense is smaller than I thought. The one problem I have with pensions is not with retired military or regular 25+ year government employees, it's the one term politicians or even two term that then get a pension for life.
The lifetime gov workers pay in so they did invest in their futures.

The welfare portion was much higher than I thought.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:

If you think more federal meddling in education would be beneficial, I have four words for you: No Child Left Behind.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you think more federal meddling in education would be beneficial, I have four words for you: No Child Left Behind.
I think that the premise of NCLB was a good one. The practices of it leave a lot to be desired. I think it lead to teaching to the lowest intelligence level in a classroom. A benefit to no one.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
I think that the premise of NCLB was a good one. The practices of it leave a lot to be desired. I think it lead to teaching to the lowest intelligence level in a classroom. A benefit to no one.
And that's exactly what you can expect more of if you want more top-down, one-size-fits-all federal meddling in education.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
NCLB was an ill concieved program improperly implimented. As nice as it sounds to not let differences seperate students that is what is going to happen in life. Better to teach the kids reality than sweet dreams.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And that's exactly what you can expect more of if you want more top-down, one-size-fits-all federal meddling in education.
The problem is one size fits all. You are right on that. It's also the mainstreaming that has taken over as well.

The problem also lies in not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. When my girls were in middle school, they took away honors classes because it made kids that weren't in them feel badly. They mixed all the kids together with the hope that the advanced kids would pick up they're game. It backfired.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
NCLB was an ill concieved program improperly implimented. As nice as it sounds to not let differences seperate students that is what is going to happen in life. Better to teach the kids reality than sweet dreams.
I think the concept was a good one. Yes. Reality is so incredibly important. Not all kids are able to learn at the same level and pace.

I think telling everyone that their situations are not their fault has gotten out if hand. Sure there are some that cannot help the rotten circumstances that have made them fall on hard times. Just giving excuses to everyone has to stop. Life isn't fair. You actually do have to work and starting to teach them this lesson in schools is a good start.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times
Imagine how small the budget would be if the government actually adhered to the Constitution and only spent public money on things authorized in Article 1 Section 8.

Considering they are supposed to adhere to the constitutional limits, everything else is in that budget is unconstitutional and a waste of our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies