Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Going off script was against the rules. Making you hear something you would rather not isn't though.
Why did he have to go off script then? Let me answer that for you: Because reciting the Lord's prayer was an obvious violation of said rules.

Its in the OP for ****s sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Why did he have to go off script then? Let me answer that for you: Because reciting the Lord's prayer was an obvious violation of said rules.

Its in the OP for ****s sake.
The OP is a Youtube video. The school did not ban prayer as they can not do that.

The only information I can find is incomplete. Unfortunately most news stories are no longer stories but rather sound bites. If the school was allotting a specific time for a prayer before events then that would be a valid complaint to bring. I have no problem with people complaining about that.

Schools can not stop individuals from prayer, even on school time whether you approve or not.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The OP is a Youtube video. The school did not ban prayer as they can not do that.

The only information I can find is incomplete. Unfortunately most news stories are no longer stories but rather sound bites. If the school was allotting a specific time for a prayer before events then that would be a valid complaint to bring. I have no problem with people complaining about that.

Schools can not stop individuals from prayer, even on school time whether you approve or not.
But they can keep students from proselytizing at a microphone in front of an entire graduating class and family.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Yes, there was such a time, but that time has come and gone. Learn to live with it.
You can do the same when Christians speak out!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Many of these christians want fascism, especially the conservative ones. Yet they are the mane ones complaining about tyranny and fascism.
Then again many Christians are not like you say.......what's scary is most of you would get rid of all Christians, because you hate a few. Christians are not all the same or even believe the same, look at what's happening in Egypt. Yet, our country sends more weapons to make sure none are left....

Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Notwithstanding the unnesessary drama of ripping up the paper, I always find the thought of school personnel running around wringing their hands over the prospect of this kind of thing pretty amusing. Too bad they don't seem to care about the profanity some kids write on their mortarboards.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You can do the same when Christians speak out!
Don't you worry. I have to ignore/avoid/tolerate that ignorant mythology on a daily basis. And if I voiced my dissatisfaction with doing so, Id probably lose my job.

But you keep on pretending you're the group being persecuted.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,139 times
Quote:
Then I guess you don't take the internet, computers, or science in general seriously.

Maybe you should just log off and go smear some berries on a cave wall somewhere.
the same scientists that claim the earth is a magic ball that has a thermostat? my guess is that you take the internet, and your computer too seriously. you hate cavemen too? you sound lovely. what was the name of the girl that destroyed your life?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,139 times
Quote:
Don't you worry. I have to ignore/avoid/tolerate that ignorant mythology on a daily basis. And if I voiced my dissatisfaction with doing so, Id probably lose my job.

But you keep on pretending you're the group being persecuted.
so you work for religious people? that must eat you up inside. so much so that you charge into an internet forum and pretend to know the answer to the question that is impossible to answer. if you were that smart, shouldn't these sheep be working for you?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The selfishness in this case being exercised by the valedictorian by his asserting though his actions that his religious beliefs trump the religious beliefs of all others.
Did he try to convert anyone, what about the Lord's prayer is offensive.....would it be "don't lead me into temptation"

So far no atheists have complained, he must have felt comfortable to make the speech he had a message. The crowd was happy or did you miss that part......Mr Scrooge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies