Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Did I not just say that I've never worked somewhere where the employee's couldn't talk about personal issues? Who would work at a place where they were banned from talking about school, dates, food, movies, relationships? That's just bizarre. I have NEVER heard of a rule where an employer tells their employee's what they can talk about. Talk about loss of freedom.
You want to see plenty of social talk in action ? Go to the DMV and stand in line and wait while they tell about last weekend's BBQ. Or better yet..wait until the lady behind the desk dries her nails (happened to me..she had one of those little hand fans blowing on her freshly painted nails).

Plenty of social action going on in the DMV offices. Maybe they should make a rule that at least 50% of the time they deal with the customers that come in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The military is not English only. A person can speak any language they want as long as English is spoken when conducting official business.
Shrug I am a vet the military also has policies that are illegal by civilian standards. Like exceeding a 40 hour work week and no over time. Like double jeopardy. Like not being allowed to just quit when you feel like it.
Where I work english only while on the floor or in meetings. In other words while you are on the clock. Lunches are unpaid so you can speak whatever you like.
I support freedom of speech in public places. I don't care what language anyone uses on the street or in a store with each other. Not my business to care.
Where I work with a policy clearly called out? I will demand english every time. I don't care if the joke is about the kids soccer game. We are on the clock and as a military man I have heard enough spanish to know the important swear words. So when I see a spanish speaker look at my co-worker and say zuramato I know it wasn't about his daughters play. Besides even if it isnt a bad word it creates doubt and potential hostilities. Save the other language for your own time.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:46 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You want to see plenty of social talk in action ? Go to the DMV and stand in line and wait while they tell about last weekend's BBQ. Or better yet..wait until the lady behind the desk dries her nails (happened to me..she had one of those little hand fans blowing on her freshly painted nails).

Plenty of social action going on in the DMV offices. Maybe they should make a rule that at least 50% of the time they deal with the customers that come in
So the DMV, fast food & Whole Foods are the only places people work? Have you not heard of offices?

Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
So the DMV, fast food & Whole Foods are the only places people work? Have you not heard of offices?
Well the DMV is an example where social talk is not banned during working hours.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Well the DMV is an example where social talk is not banned during working hours.
I agree it's beyond annoying there are certain places where the customer service has no interest in actually doing their job, I get that. I'm talking about your basic job where you engage in basic conversation that is not always going to be related to work.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I agree it's beyond annoying there are certain places where the customer service has no interest in actually doing their job, I get that. I'm talking about your basic job where you engage in basic conversation that is not always going to be related to work.
If the policy is English only then adhere to it.

I'm in the schools and here in Texas we have over 50% of the students being of Hispanic background.
Middle school is not bilingual. We are constantly asking the students to talk English during school hours.
These kids use language to bully, divide and segregate themselves. They call the non Hispanic students Spanish cursewords and laugh among themselves and then act shocked when I write them up surprised that I know the Spanish cursewords.

Language is just as much a weapon as a tool. And it becomes a lot more obvious when done by kids in school.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I worked in an environment that several other languages were spoken even though the company had english only rules.
Excluding me from their conversation also excluded me from helping them when they were in trouble.
With some I could undrstand enough of their language to identify they had a problem , but I would not let on, to just how much I understood.
No skin off my nose.
Most of the time I am a generous person , but a little respect goes a long way .I tried to learn their language but with so many dialects it was hard .
These people spoke english just fine , but choose to exclude others from their conversation, there is something seriously wrong. and it is stressful if you are being trained to a new process.
They also treat others as though it is below them, and their own they wil train with great patience and forgiving.
Tell the supervisor you say ? They are the main culpret.
If you make waves, it only looks bad on you, and any corrective speaches by the managment is short lived.
Leave them to their bigitry, they don't need my input, they can suffer in their mutual ignorance.
I was closer friends with the english speaking black coworkers, than many of the filipenos(except for about 3) and mexicans,even though they would show the superficial smile.
Even the japanees are more respectful people for the most part.
I had cousins aunts and uncles that pulled the same thing on me on a cross country visit to their home years ago, which drove home that I was unwelcome.
And that being said,I was glad not to have to live near them. I lost all interest in having any further involvment with them.
I have been to mexico and I do not assume every one to speak english ,and I did my best to learn spanish while there.
It did not bother me in the least, that they did not all speak english ,I was the outsider.
There are times I want to learn Klingon and isolate them from my conversation just the same way they treat me.
Look at them and laugh big and continue talking as if it is about them.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
The rule was simple..speak English when on the clock.
Let them go work for a Spanish bodega then if they would rather speak Spanish during working hours.

I just heard, that they may boycott whole foods now. This it how it begins folks, and only going to get worse. Can you see the wheels spinning.

What's it going to be like for your children when they grow, our grandchildren, are they going to have to learn Spanish, because there will be no more English. Don't ever say, it can't happen ever.

So easy for most to see where this is headed, can't see it, your blinded.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I just heard, that they may boycott whole foods now. This it how it begins folks, and only going to get worse. Can you see the wheels spinning.

What's it going to be like for your children when they grow, our grandchildren, are they going to have to learn Spanish, because there will be no more English. Don't ever say, it can't happen ever.

So easy for most to see where this is headed, can't see it, your blinded.
My kid is already learning Spanish, and she'll take up Chinese next year.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-08-2013 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Folks, it's not just Spanish, apply the same principles to Chinese, Russian, or whatever country you don't like presently, Iranian?
English starts looking better eh? Allahu Akhbar I probably mispelled that, but you get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies