Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:20 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Exhibit A in why non-medical people shouldn't be allowed within 10 miles of organ recipient decisions.
Tried to rep yah again but yes, .... everyone now thinks they've got an MD because they read something on the 'net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Well, if she can receive n adult lung, what is stopping her parents from donating?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, the parents submitted a request to the judge. The doctors simply said that (1) a transplant of an adult to a child of a lung, as long as the lung is compatible, could be successful, and that (2) if such a transplant were performed, the child's medical condition would be improved.
And I am sure there was due diligence in the legal endeavor of the doctor's explanation to submit the request to have this girl placed on the adult list in a fair way . She was not placed on the top of the list. It is who needs it critically and not any other way.

A doctor takes an oath no matter what condition the patient is in to care for them if there training can be beneficial. This little girl could be anyone. It could be us as a little child, or one of our children. It is not killing someone off so she can live.

We all have to die. It is appointed to each one of us to die. Nothing new. The legislation was outdated and giving her no chance to live is the fault of this legislation. It must be changed. It is discrimination against children and this judge granted that a child could also be placed on the list. So tell me , what is so bad about this ruling? It is fair.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Well, if she can receive n adult lung, what is stopping her parents from donating?
They might not be a suitable match. But if they were, they should be the ones offering to donate.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
And I am sure there was due diligence in the legal endeavor of the doctor's explanation to submit the request to have this girl placed on the adult list in a fair way . She was not placed on the top of the list. It is who needs it critically and not any other way.

A doctor takes an oath no matter what condition the patient is in to care for them if there training can be beneficial. This little girl could be anyone. It could be us as a little child, or one of our children. It is not killing someone off so she can live.

We all have to die. It is appointed to each one of us to die. Nothing new. The legislation was outdated and giving her no chance to live is the fault of this legislation. It must be changed. It is discrimination against children and this judge granted that a child could also be placed on the list. So tell me , what is so bad about this ruling? It is fair.
If the judge had ruled that the protocol must be reviewed immediately in light of the changes in medicine and science during the past 8 years, I would have supported that ruling. I just don't want judges overruling doctors when it comes to medical decisions.

I hope that Sarah gets a transplant, and I hope that they find a cure for CF that will eradicate this terrible disease. Because, without a cure, Sarah's quality of life will be confined to a struggle against the ravages of her disease. Transplant or not.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If the judge had ruled that the protocol must be reviewed immediately in light of the changes in medicine and science during the past 8 years, I would have supported that ruling. I just don't want judges overruling doctors when it comes to medical decisions.

I hope that Sarah gets a transplant, and I hope that they find a cure for CF that will eradicate this terrible disease. Because, without a cure, Sarah's quality of life will be confined to a struggle against the ravages of her disease. Transplant or not.
The judge went further than just overruling doctors. He overruled a policy that has been in place for years with this "one exception" that he said he would do again.
And now the doctors in charge of these transplant lists are having emergency meetings to deal with it.

In this case I do side with HHS.
This is a case where the parents got the ear of a Congressman who took this to the floor and got Congress involved. This was made very political and very public.

Judge orders girl added to adult lung transplant list - Vitals
Sebelius repeatedly has said that the medical decision about who receives specific organs should be left up to transplant experts. She asked for an urgent review last week of OPTN policies, with an eye toward making more organs available for children.

“The worst of all worlds, in my mind, is to pick and choose who lives and who dies,†Sebelius said Tuesday at a Congressional hearing where she was grilled by Republican members about Sarah’s case.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
so kill the girl off.. is that right... the left has no heart I can see that.. even main stream media isn't as heartless as the people posting here..
Well, we were waiting for one, but then some kid queue-jumped ahead of us and got it instead.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then do it the right way and advocate to remove the 2 lists and go to a single list and let the medical professionals decide priority.

Instead you have a lawyer and judge doing it not once but twice now
Absolutely agree there should be 1 list. Due to judge's action, and subsequent filings by other children, one list will probably be the end result of this.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, we were waiting for one, but then some kid queue-jumped ahead of us and got it instead.
I don't think some want a heart. they have a stone in their chest and happy for it.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I don't think some want a heart. they have a stone in their chest and happy for it.
You still haven't told us if all YOUR paperwork is in order to be a donor.

When was the last time you donated blood? Donated to a children's hospital? Made arrangements to donate your body to a medical school so they can use you as a learning tool?

"Swab a Cheek. Save a life." You done that yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies