Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phili80 View Post
OK...little bit of a catchy title but why does Freemasonry have such a negative connotation to it to so many people? Although it is secretive, many high profile people are a part of this group and it's hard to believe they all have some kind of consistent hidden world agenda. I'll admit I don't much about it but what do you think? Is this a good organization based on what you know? Or not?
I come from a long Masonic family and so does my husband. We are no longer active because the distance from here to the nearest lodge is just too far. We were quite surprised to learn, just a month or so ago, our religion (Lutheran) does not believe in the Masonic organization. Well, it is a good thing I didn't know this, prior to becoming a Lutheran about 4 years ago. If I had known it we would have found a different Christian denomination.

Freemasonery, like may organizations that go way back are dying breed which is too bad. If you wonder if the they are evil or good, take a look at the Shriners Hospitals. That should answer your question.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I come from a long Masonic family and so does my husband. We are no longer active because the distance from here to the nearest lodge is just too far. We were quite surprised to learn, just a month or so ago, our religion (Lutheran) does not believe in the Masonic organization. Well, it is a good thing I didn't know this, prior to becoming a Lutheran about 4 years ago. If I had known it we would have found a different Christian denomination.

Freemasonery, like may organizations that go way back are dying breed which is too bad. If you wonder if the they are evil or good, take a look at the Shriners Hospitals. That should answer your question.
Most christian denominations are against freemasons.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Most christian denominations are against freemasons.
Well let's see how many you can name? Those who are not are: Baptists, Pres, Episcopalian, Methodist, Anglican, So Baptist, so what does that leave us? other than the Lutherans, I don't know what major Christian religions are left? Of course most of us, who know anything about freemasons know the Roman Catholics are anti Masons. But that is something that has been known for generations, now what else can you name?

Nita

Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty011 View Post
masons are not allowed to ask someone to join. That is one strict rule. If this guy asked you to join, he was in the wrong. A mason will not ask people to join.
how do you join, if not asked to join???

Old 06-10-2013, 02:09 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how do you join, if not asked to join???

You have to ask a Mason to join. It has to be of your own will to join. They do not ask anyone.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Personally I've always found all those fraternal organizations to be hilarious. The idea of grown men having secret ceremonies, capes and robes, and cutesy special names, just like little boys in the treehouse.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:26 PM

HOW DOES A MAN BECOME A FREEMASON?
Some men are surprised that no one has ever asked them to become a Mason. They may even feel that the Masons in their town don't think they are "good enough" to join. But it doesn't work that way. For hundreds of years, Masons have been forbidden to ask others to join the fraternity. We can talk to friends about Freemasonry. We can tell them about what Freemasonry does. We can tell them why we enjoy it. But we can't ask, much less pressure, anyone to join.

Freemasonry Explained

Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Personally I've always found all those fraternal organizations to be hilarious. The idea of grown men having secret ceremonies, capes and robes, and cutesy special names, just like little boys in the treehouse.

That's nice. And it is just as well that you are not a member, because we feel the need to have a more mature membership. Men like Doctors, lawyers, Presidents, and the like. Men that are not swayed by ignorant people.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Have you ever heard of the Shriner's Burns Hospital that provides millions of dollars in free care to children? Have you ever heard that the Masons give three million dollars a day to charities? I'm not a Mason or a Shriner but I'd say it's pretty ignorant to mock them.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:27 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well let's see how many you can name? Those who are not are: Baptists, Pres, Episcopalian, Methodist, Anglican, So Baptist, so what does that leave us? other than the Lutherans, I don't know what major Christian religions are left? Of course most of us, who know anything about freemasons know the Roman Catholics are anti Masons. But that is something that has been known for generations, now what else can you name?

Nita
Good news, Nita. I was raised in 1984, in Houston, and had a really active mentor from across town. He would frequent my Lodge and also invited me to meet him at other Houston and countryside Lodges. One Lodge had a Catholic who had been raised, as the church had recently lifted its ban on Freemasonry. I wouldn't expect anyone from outside the organization to be aware of that. Even many within the walls don't know. At that time, I had a close friend raised Catholic who didn't know about that.

So, the Catholic guy tells the story... He was also a Priest. One day his Secretary took a call asking for Brother *name* and didn't know how to handle the request. He explained to her that while he was 'Father' within the Church, he was also 'Brother' within the Lodge.

*name*, I really just don't recall his name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies