U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,061,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well let's see how many you can name? Those who are not are: Baptists, Pres, Episcopalian, Methodist, Anglican, So Baptist, so what does that leave us? other than the Lutherans, I don't know what major Christian religions are left? Of course most of us, who know anything about freemasons know the Roman Catholics are anti Masons. But that is something that has been known for generations, now what else can you name?

Nita
The Southern Baptists debated the issue once. The deliberations filled 3 books, but there were unable to gather enough votes to ban masonic membership.

There have been at least a couple of times in history that a Pope has issued some official proclamation forbidding Catholics from becoming masons, on threat of excommunication. Therefore, the Catholic men formed the Knights of Columbus.

Currently, there is no papal ban against masonic membership.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 AM

10,024 posts, read 9,882,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It is not a religion at all, and the ignorance of people who come here and post things that are not even close to being the truth is amazing. If you know nothing about a subject you should not comment.

Is Masonry a Religion? Masonry is not a religion. But it is one of the few platforms where men of all faiths - Christians, including Catholics, Jews, Muslims, and men of every other faith - can come together because it is open to all men who believe in a Supreme Being; but religion is not discussed at Masonic meetings. Although Lodges open and close with a prayer and Masonry teaches morality, it is not a church or a religion. Masonry does not have a theology or dogma, it does not offer sacraments, and it does not offer the promise of salvation.
It's not a religion LOL. The first requirement is a belief in a higher power. That is RELIGION period.
Like I said, masonic secrets are hidden in plain view, even from members themselves. I know everything I need to know about the masonic cult. My own uncle is a 32nd degree mason in the Scottish rite.

Your comments are either ignorant or very very purposely misrepresenting. Of course there is a masonic Theology and a masonic idea of salvation. To deny that fact is just to know nothing at all about the craft. There are litterally millions of pages on Free Masonary on the net. Much of it written by active and practising masons. Do yourself a favour and READ.

Last edited by lucknow; 06-11-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Good news, Nita. I was raised in 1984, in Houston, and had a really active mentor from across town. He would frequent my Lodge and also invited me to meet him at other Houston and countryside Lodges. One Lodge had a Catholic who had been raised, as the church had recently lifted its ban on Freemasonry. I wouldn't expect anyone from outside the organization to be aware of that. Even many within the walls don't know. At that time, I had a close friend raised Catholic who didn't know about that.

So, the Catholic guy tells the story... He was also a Priest. One day his Secretary took a call asking for Brother *name* and didn't know how to handle the request. He explained to her that while he was 'Father' within the Church, he was also 'Brother' within the Lodge.

*name*, I really just don't recall his name
There are several Catholics in my lodge too. I've noticed in city lodges (where there are more people), it is common to have no idea what church members attend. In order to maintain harmony, religion and politics are usually not discussed in the lodge buildings.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM

6,468 posts, read 7,108,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's not a religion LOL. The first requirement is a belief in a higher power. That is RELIGION period.
Like I said, masonic secrets are hidden in plain view, even from members themselves. I know everything I need to know about the masonic cult. My own uncle is a 32nd degree mason in the Scottish rite.
By that logic, the fact that my father is a Vietnam Vet and former police officer means that I know everything that I need to know about Vietnam and police officers. The fact that my brother-in-law is a Six Sigma Black Belt means that I know everything I need to know about streamlining multi-national companies.

Your contention is that learning by osmosis works?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 AM

9,830 posts, read 5,858,540 times
Quote:

Which means you know exactly nothing about Masonry, and you are making yourself look foolish posting on a subject you are totally in the dark about. I know a little about the subject, I am a past Master of my lodge, having gone through the chairs for seven years. I am a 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason, and a Knights Templar York Rite mason. A Shriner, Easter Star member and other Masonic bodies. I know a little bit about what I am talking, unlike yourself. And since when does a belief in a higher power make it a religion? That puzzles me. Ignorance is bliss.

You tell me to read on the subject, and I tell you that I have forgotten more about Masonry than you ever knew about it.

Last edited by Scotty011; 06-11-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Pentecostals are VERY anti mason...AOG,UPC,Holiness,Oneness...all of that herd preaches against them..I was 3rd generation MM and my dad and grandfather were both scottish rites 32nd and we all worked our way up through the chairs...no blue light for us...I started going to Church about 8 yrs ago and they flat tore the Masons up constantly...I see both sides of it and ill just leave it at that.
I've noticed that the people who talk about their church being opposed to Freemasonry are usually members of VERY fundamentalist denominations. The issue they have is what their minister tells them. He tells them Masons are evil because they do not pray to God through Jesus Christ, but instead worship some devil called GAOTU.

Here's the truth: Masons make no requirement of potential members regarding religion, except that they be willing to say that they believe in a Supreme Being. That way the Zoroastrian is comfortable to sit beside the Baptist and have a conversation with a Muslim and a Shinto. In order to make sure all members are comfortable, the prayer opening the meeting is addressed to the "Great Architect Of The Universe." Each member is told that he should interpret that term according to his own beliefs.

That's it. That's all that makes your "Hell Fire & Brimstone" minister hate millions of men.

If you think it is so important to end a prayer by saying "In Jesus' name, Amen," that you would be willing to make other members uncomfortable by doing so, then Masonic membership is not for you.

If you really want it to be about devil worship, you'll have to look for some other organization. The Masons can't help.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-11-2013 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what si the difference between scotish and York??

we have one by us that '' seems'' to be AA exclusive
In many states there are two organizations running in parallel. The second is called the Prince Hall Lodge. Most of the members of the Prince Hall Lodge are African Americans. There is no written rule, and no mason will ever admit to it, but informally it was segregated at one time, and traces of it remain to this day.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM

9,830 posts, read 5,858,540 times
Quote:

Is Freemasonry a cult? That depends on what is meant by the word "cult." By some definitions golfing, bowling, and surfing the Internet are cults. But in the usual use of the term, referring to a group that separates itself from society and its members from their non-member friends, demands slavish obedience from its adherents, engages in brainwashing techniques, confiscates their resources, and sees itself in opposition to established society, absolutely not!

Quite the opposite, in fact: Masonry does not recruit members, does not compel attendance at any of its meetings, charges modest dues and fees (some little changed from sixty years ago, when the dollar was worth a lot more), encourages community service and participation in civic and religious organizations, and allows any member to quit (demit) at any time (providing he has no outstanding financial obligations; otherwise, he is liable to be suspended, but in either case, he would no longer be a member). It is easier to get out of Masonry than it is to get into it!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM

24,483 posts, read 22,461,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phili80 View Post
OK...little bit of a catchy title but why does Freemasonry have such a negative connotation to it to so many people? Although it is secretive, many high profile people are a part of this group and it's hard to believe they all have some kind of consistent hidden world agenda. I'll admit I don't much about it but what do you think? Is this a good organization based on what you know? Or not?
every single organization in this world, has both good and bad in it, why, because we're human, and we are driven by 3 things, sex, money and power....

Read the Templars....and other books on secret societies....I believe the freemasons are in fact, linked to the Templars, and by the way, since the beginning of time, there were always secret societies....why do you think there was so much controversy over the Di Vinci Code? That is another book you should read....

American's are so uninformed, and do not know much about history....including me, and if we knew more about history, perhaps we'd change things, and then again, maybe not?

I always always thought the person that sat at the right hand of Jesus in the painting the last supper was a man? Why, b/c I was told so, that is, until I took a second look.

And Christians were so all fired up to not believe it was true, and against the book and movie...however, to me and for me, I'd like to think there is hope in the fact that Jesus's seed is walking this earth.

Man made organized religion is just as corrupt as any other society....so to answer your question...yes, b/c there is both good and bad in everything....humans are evil by nature....when they obtain power, money and with that sex.

And if sex were so all fired bad, like Christains would have you believe, my God, we wouldn't be here....

Religion keeps us primitive....
Every religion has it's own man made rules....even the Free Masons...but I'd venture to believe they know things that most do not know.

Apparently some of the Templars escaped to Ireland...way back then, and that is where the Freemasons evolved.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
It's not at all. It's a religion and that fact is kept fairly hidden from the world at large. If you don't believe that then you should attend a masonic funeral some time and LISTEN well to what they have to say.
It's impossible for it to be a religion because they accept members of all religions equally. Masonry has no path to salvation for members to follow. It has none of the characteristics that make up a religion. As a matter of fact, an attempt to make masonry a religion would be considered unmasonic conduct and would likely result in that person being expelled. I've probably been to more masonic funerals than you have, since I have gone with a lodge many many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies