Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

There is an old saying: Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

If you are planning a henious act do not tell anyone but yourself. Do not do the obvious like buying a copy of the "Anarchist's Handbook". Do not go on Wikki to learn how to make gunpowder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When people have data, they match it to other data, use it, and sell it for many other unrelated things. I used this example in another thread. What's to stop the IRS from obtaing a copy of that Verizon database and matching it to your Obamacare health file/record to deny treatment? Let's see who calls pizza places X number of times per month to place an order. All they need are the 2 telephone numbers.

Unrelated, most of the reasons for using these kinds of "tools" in my opinion is for after-the-fact detective-type work not preventative. It's like street cameras. You can't stop the crime but later on the images may help you catch the perp.
Well, first of all the IRS cannot deny treatment. All the IRS can do is collect fines for not having insurance.
So you can scratch out that theory.

But part of Obamacare is the mandate to electronic medical records. They screwed up though in not designing formatting standards and DB standards and each software maker went off and designed proprietary DBs.
Which means the various programs used by doctors and hospitals can't talk to each other and share data.
Score one for the peons

And it's not all "after the fact" either. The data can also be used in a predictive way although this technology is fairly new but it is being honed and further developed.
See the webbot project regarding that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Bot

Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM

INHO - The first President that "did not know what was going on" was George Washington.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Uh - their the insurance company. They already have your medical records. What do you think claims are for?

They have the medical records for services you bill to them.

They don't have your medical records from the past, unless they were your insurance company.

There's no big data cloud of all your medical history that any insurance company can just access, at least not yet.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
The danger isn't a single piece of metadata. The danger is billions of pieces, aggregated.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There is an old saying: Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

If you are planning a henious act do not tell anyone but yourself. Do not do the obvious like buying a copy of the "Anarchist's Handbook". Do not go on Wikki to learn how to make gunpowder.
Or if you do be sure and do it on a computer that belongs to someone you don't like.

The thing that needs to be remembered is that information is power, the more you get the more you have.
Let's say the phone/internet watchers happen across phone calls,texts or emails between a elected official and a hooker or a business executive they want something from and someone who'd embarrass that person?
Absolute power that can and will most likely be abused as evidenced by recent events.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The danger isn't a single piece of metadata. The danger is billions of pieces, aggregated.
Not to mention who collected it and their ethics or motives at the time.

Didn't this president repeatedly say (while on the stump) that he'd stop all this if elected?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
They have the medical records for services you bill to them.

They don't have your medical records from the past, unless they were your insurance company.

There's no big data cloud of all your medical history that any insurance company can just access, at least not yet.
There will be. That is mandated under Obamacare.

Electronic medical records mandate deadline is 2015 or face heavy fines by the government.
Right now though the government is giving $$$ incentives to those that move there sooner.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not to mention who collected it and their ethics or motives at the time.

Didn't this president repeatedly say (while on the stump) that he'd stop all this if elected?
Why yes he did. But that was only to get him elected.
He also said he was going to kick all the lobbyists out of DC. Instead he gave them jobs in the Executive branch.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 AM

The opposite side of this huge database is the Veteran's Administration. A couple of days ago I spoke with a very polite VA representative and we started a claim for Military related health problems. Instead of using my SS or Military ID number to pull up my Military records on his computer he has to send a message to have my hard copy records sent to the local VA office for review. Instead of taking a few seconds or minutes this will take almost a full year. That old fashioned way that is a current reality for millions.

I don’t care if people have access to my official military records because they are on a government database somewhere in data land. I do care that I have to wait a year before my VA status can be determined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies