Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm to the left of center and am strongly libertarian on social issues. I've opposed the Patriot Act since the beginning and have been called every name in the book because of it.
I wonder how they feel now that they, along with every other American, is under the watchful eye of the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said.

i dont have an issue with the program bush set up per say, i do have an issue though with them being expanded like they were. bush set the program up to deal with calls going out of and coming into this country, i had no issue with that. i do have an issue with it being extended to domestic calls as well. what people forget though is that the patriot act does not trample the rights of US citizens, in fact there are protections built in. but as with any government program, the executive branch will do what it can to expand programs as much as possible to garner more control over the american people. every president has done this, and until the american people say enough is enough, it will continue until we have either lost all our liberties, or we the people rise up and take back the government.
Which I fear is on the horizon. The reason I'm concerned is how this rising up will be conducted.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
During and after 9-11, we were not allowed to question anything the government did. Remember all the flags flying and the whole 'you're either with us or against us' rhetoric that was going on?

NOW, people are seeing how far government can go in the name of the Patriot Act and I do not think they are liking it one bit.
That's when they thought it didn't apply to them and now find out that there is a lot more to this "patriotic" Patriot Act.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:20 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Which I fear is on the horizon. The reason I'm concerned is how this rising up will be conducted.
We can all streak the Whitehouse Lawn?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
We can all streak the Whitehouse Lawn?
As long as there's no flags attached to body parts. That'd make the guys part of the "pee party" and as such under the watchful eyes of the IRS!

The thing that made me laugh today was when our dear leader said that we're protected because of Federal judges and such that have to be gotten permission from.
Hmmm, wasn't the AP and James Rosen supposed to be protected by judicial process? It all sounds great until you start judge shopping and lying on affidavits to get permission.

I then laughed further when he said "if you don't trust the administration,congress and judges then I guess we've got a problem. Well, DUH!

D.C., we've got a PROBLEM!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:15 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
As an independent with libertarian leanings, I remember post 9/11 my opposition to the Patriot Act and the related abuses was met with all types of criticism by conservatives who stated that this was the price of freedom, that I wasn't being patriotic enough, that I was too lenient on terrorists, etc. My argument has remained the same: true to the Franklin quote, we should never, ever sacrifice our liberties for a bit of security. I will accept the risk of getting blown up by a terrorist on a commercial airplane in order to prevent an overreaching government trampling on civil liberties. Unfortunately, Obama extended the Patriot Act...in a bargain with conservatives. Now, with the recent FISA subpoena of Verizon call data, there seems to be so much uproar and opposition to the Patriot Act....especially by conservatives. Why now? What took you guys so damn long?
You have to ask?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
As an independent with libertarian leanings, I remember post 9/11 my opposition to the Patriot Act and the related abuses was met with all types of criticism by conservatives who stated that this was the price of freedom, that I wasn't being patriotic enough, that I was too lenient on terrorists, etc. My argument has remained the same: true to the Franklin quote, we should never, ever sacrifice our liberties for a bit of security. I will accept the risk of getting blown up by a terrorist on a commercial airplane in order to prevent an overreaching government trampling on civil liberties. Unfortunately, Obama extended the Patriot Act...in a bargain with conservatives. Now, with the recent FISA subpoena of Verizon call data, there seems to be so much uproar and opposition to the Patriot Act....especially by conservatives. Why now? What took you guys so damn long?
In the end, there might be 5 republicans and 15 democrats voting against it.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
I've always felt it was an atrocity and that feeling has been growing over time, even as Americans seem to grown complicit with having their personal privacy stripped away. I swear, far too many people seem to think it's no big deal.

If Obama has to get burned badly in order for this abomination to be eliminated, then so be it. Obama is one worse than George W: Barack Obama denounced the Patriot Act, Gitmo and other violations of human rights and liberties when he was running for POTUS, then pulled a 180 degree about face on the issue once he was elected. So he's kinda asking for it. But this should not be a partisan issue. The government trampling our rights, no matter how well intended, should outrage the American people like nothing else. The troubling fact it is that it hasn't done so yet.

Big brother is watching you.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
The Patriot Act was supposed to pertain to FOREIGN intelligence, not americans.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The Patriot Act was supposed to pertain to FOREIGN intelligence, not americans.
Not exactly. Maybe that's what people heard, but that's not necessarily true, we were all lied to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert...opping_program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies