Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:57 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times

Advertisements

With all this controversy about obesity and health care, I wonder if the problems can be solved by something many people did, before the rise of the pre-cooked meal. People talk about no time and money, but as recently as two generations ago, people knew how to cook, both rich and poor. My grandparents were both kids of immigrants and they were pretty poor when they were young and just starting out. They cooked healthy, they didn't have heart problems, they weren't out of breath after taking a walk. Photos of their family and friends are a lot different than what you see outside today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Frankly, I am always astounded to see what people deem "cooking" in this nation. A "home cooked" meal often involves opening a jar of Ragu...

Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,791 times
It takes a lot of time. When both parents are working and do not get home until 5 PM they have to feed their kids, bath them, do homework and clean house. Does not leave much time for cooking. And I say that as someone who lives on farm and cooks daily, and does gardening and cans.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
It takes a lot of time. When both parents are working and do not get home until 5 PM they have to feed their kids, bath them, do homework and clean house. Does not leave much time for cooking. And I say that as someone who lives on farm and cooks daily, and does gardening and cans.
Compared to health issues you could have while ignoring nutrition, it's time well spent. I work full time and I have enough time to shop and prepare meals.

...I do tend to cook for several days at one time though.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Sad sorry excuse.

I had a full time job and family and found that 30-45 minutes to cook fresh every night.
Longer cooking (stew, soup) from scratch happened on weekends.
And I lived on acreage that needed shredding and had chickens and a garden.

Most of my suburban friends just stopped off at <FF/takeout> on their way home because they either couldn't be bothered or didn't know how to cook. And they don't like the time it takes to shop for food either.

This is the instant gratification crowd that is expanding to include more Americans every day.
3 years ago 30% of Americans did not know how to cook. I don't know what the current stats are.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sad sorry excuse.

I had a full time job and family and found that 30-45 minutes to cook fresh every night.
Longer cooking (stew, soup) from scratch happened on weekends.
And I lived on acreage that needed shredding and had chickens and a garden.

Most of my suburban friends just stopped off at <FF/takeout> on their way home because they either couldn't be bothered or didn't know how to cook. And they don't like the time it takes to shop for food either.

This is the instant gratification crowd that is expanding to include more Americans every day.
3 years ago 30% of Americans did not know how to cook. I don't know what the current stats are.
Among the younger population, at least around here, I'd say it's closer to 75%.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Among the younger population, at least around here, I'd say it's closer to 75%.
Hey..that's what they grew up with. Who is going to teach them to cook if their own parents can't cook ?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Hey..that's what they grew up with. Who is going to teach them to cook if their own parents can't cook ?
Weren't home economics classes mandatory at one time? We need to get *those* back in high schools with a supplement of personal finance.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Weren't home economics classes mandatory at one time? We need to get *those* back in high schools with a supplement of personal finance.
Ain't happening. You are now on the 2nd or 3rd generation of FF and microwave meals.

Home Ec..I did take that. Learned to cook, sew and create a household budget.
Those are not items we strive to teach in schools today.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:55 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
Ain't happening. You are now on the 2nd or 3rd generation of FF and microwave meals.

Home Ec..I did take that. Learned to cook, sew and create a household budget.
Those are not items we strive to teach in schools today.
A valedictorian these days can use a calculator and a microwave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies