Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times

Advertisements

Wow. A lot of people are almost too dumb to function.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Yes. This really isn't something to get upset about.
He's voicing his opinion for God's sake! I just love it when people don't agree with someone else's opinion that they feel the need to use the words "upset, hate, anger".

It's wrong to expect ads to be in this nation's language? Really?

Old 06-09-2013, 05:22 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then I'd like to know where you live.
Ah, so we have yet another way in which you are a victim? Tell us about the most recent instance in which a language was forced upon you? What, did the waiter at the Mexican restaurant make you repeat your order of enchiladas correctly?

You people will whine about anything. Is this how you are in "real life?"

Old 06-09-2013, 05:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yes, yes you are.

What fascinates me about your mindset is how you react to being presented with something foreign to your understanding. It really is a perfect glimpse into the stark difference between how one group of people reacts to the world versus another group. When I'm presented with something I don't know, my first reaction is to learn more about it. There are still many others who react this way. On the flip side are reactions like yours - "Why doesn't the rest of the world conform to how 'we' think, believe, react or communicate???" I was just saying the other day how I really need to get back into Spanish, after having three years of it in high school. Learning languages opens your mind and keeps it agile. Thank you for giving me that final push. The last thing in this world I want is to be some dumb, ignorant American who must rely on one single language to understand this world.

Um, you do realize we are talking about a spanish commercial that aired on an english channel, right? I'm not asking the rest of the world to conform to my way of thinking. I just expect commercials on English channels to be in english and to be able to understand them.

When presented with something I don't know, that I want to know about, I will learn about it but we are talking about a commercial here. Not some intriguing new thing to learn about. Just a company targeting spanish speaking people on an english speaking channel. I see no reason to spend my time figuring out what they meant by their commercial. It was their job to get that message across and if I was their target audience (I don't believe I was), they failed.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:25 PM

596 posts, read 730,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I have never felt as if Spanish is being shoved down my throat.
That's because it's not. People with this mentality are the same folks who claim homosexuality is being shoved down their throats, just because gay people have the audacity to walk around living and breathing and wanting to be treated like human beings, instead of hiding in a corner somewhere being ashamed and invisible. Spanish is not being shoved down anybody's throat, but because it is becoming more mainstream and being used by more businesses, then certain people feel as if it is a personal affront to them. They think we should all look the same, think the same, believe the same, behave the same, and speak the same language. They take offense to anything outside of that very limited view.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:26 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
He's voicing his opinion for God's sake! I just love it when people don't agree with someone else's opinion that they feel the need to use the words "upset, hate, anger".

Yes, yes it is. It speaks not only to the fact that your perspective on life is horribly skewed if these are the things that offend you and rise to a level where you need to complain about it, but also to a resolute resistance to anything that might force you to appreciate and learn something foreign to your understanding. At the same time, it explains so much about your political and social philosophies. The science seems to be confirming that this is how your brains operate, so I guess that implies that some of it is beyond your control, so I suppose I should be a little more forgiving of you.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:26 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
maybe if the song had been la cucaracha we wouldn't be so offended.. it is a song that has been around for years and many people know it. Even though it is about cockroaches.. we can identify the song.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I get ticked when I call a company and the Spanish version of their recording greets me in Spanish instead of English first. This is not right at all.
The only thing I don't mind lately is all the stupid telemarketers calling in Spanish. I have absolutely no trouble slamming down the phone on them. I normally don't like to be rude to telemarketers because they're trying to earn a living, but when they expect I should speak Spanish to listen to them, forget it.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
You're assuming immigrants want citizenship. If you have your landed immigrant status and don't want to give up your old citizenship, you have everything you need to work. It took me awhile before I decided if I wanted dual citizenship and I didn't have to give up citizenship to go for it.
Where did I say that? I said that Mexican-Americans which means they are U.S. citizens do know English. That isn't the group these pandering stores are trying to reach. As for "immigrants" we have millions of Asian immigrants in this country that may not know English either so why just pander to the Spanish speaking ones. Hint...it's the illegal alien Spanish speakers they are trying to sell to.

You tell me why Sears only has ads on their intercom in their stores in Spanish. Not even an English translation. I haven't shopped in their stores for years because of that.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,302 times
Quote:

English isn't your language to start with. I'm not American and even I know you don't have an official language. Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies