Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 PM

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Ah, so we have yet another way in which you are a victim? Tell us about the most recent instance in which a language was forced upon you? What, did the waiter at the Mexican restaurant make you repeat your order of enchiladas correctly?

You people will whine about anything. Is this how you are in "real life?"
Consider yourself ignored from now on. Try some civility will you? I live in Mexifornia so I know what I am talking about

Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That happens in all immigrant populations. First generation does their best usually to learn a few words, but many are unsuccessful (like my DH's Polish grandparents, who spoke virtually no English). The first American generation speaks both languages, but primarily English (my MIL and FIL speak both Polish and English, but rarely speak Polish). The second American generation speaks English almost exclusively, but may know a few words of their ancestors' language. My DH and his brother know a few Polish words, but neither can forumalate complete sentences in Polish. I think they know mostly expletives.

This will carry among the Hispanics, as well, and has to date. Many second generation will understand Spanish, but be unable to speak it with any fluency - I've known many, since we lived in Tucson for twenty years.

PS - your objection to the Target commercial seems petty and overthought. An obvious pop song to impart the flavor of summer fun is objectionable because you don't understand the words? Really?? And I can tell you, I didn't know what "Ula" meant until I read the thread. The only words I understood were the numbers. "Tres, dos".
This has NOT been my experience with immigrants, and I know A TON. Most of my experience is with Hispanic and Vietnamese immigrants, and they pass down the language through the generations. Many I know are third or fourth generation (not the Vietnamese) in this country, and they still speak the other language in addition to English. However, I have no problem with this. The immigrant group that I notice losing the original language the most are Filipinos.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I get ticked when I call a company and the Spanish version of their recording greets me in Spanish instead of English first. This is not right at all.
I posted earlier that my dd's school delivers robo call messages in a foriegn language before they are repeated in English. We don't even get the option to press 1 for english. We have to wait through the foriegn language message first. I find this very annoying. I was here first.

I feel like we're being shoved aside by immigrants who don't want to bother learning the language. It feels weird having neighbors I cannot have the simpliest exchange with. We live in the same neighborhood and never will get to know each other becuase neither speaks the othet's language. Language is very important. Without it, we're left guessing about everything.

The typical will happen where I live. Those of us who speak english will leave and the area will become spanish speaking. We're like ships that pass in the night. Never learning about each other because we can't talk to each other. I cannot imagine moving to another country and then not learning the language. I would want to be able to talk to my new neighbors. Makes me wonder why they don't.

My grandparents were proud to come here and worked hard to assimilate. This was their chosen home. I really don't get coming here and then expecting everyone to cater to you in your native tongue. And I"M the one accused of being arrogant and thinking people should do things my way. I wonder how it would go over if a group of Americans moved to, say Spain, and demanded press one for Spanish?

Old 06-09-2013, 05:30 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Where did I say that? I said that Mexican-Americans which means they are U.S. citizens do know English. That isn't the group these pandering stores are trying to reach. As for "immigrants" we have millions of Asian immigrants in this country that may not know English either so why just pander to the Spanish speaking ones. Hint...it's the illegal alien Spanish speakers they are trying to sell to.

You tell me why Sears only has ads on their intercom in their stores in Spanish. Not even an English translation. I haven't shopped in their stores for years because of that.
Legal or illegal, their potential customers. Why shouldn't Target target them? And again, you're assuming legal immigrants speak English. Legal immigrants might not aim for American citizenship as they would have to give up their own citizenship. When I lived in the US, I had no interest in American citizenship.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:32 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
(I don't think I've ever heard the macarana in English.).

But we see you're OK with "The Macarana". As I suspected you danced to it at weddings, oh if only we had that on You Tube....LOL.

Did it ever occur to you that people who are under 30 probably haven't heard or know "The Macarena"? The song was popular in 1994, we're talking almost 20 yrs ago.

That Target went with a newer song as this ad shows younger people. That it this add is more about reaching a certain age group rather than an ethnic group?
Yes, yes! Thank you!!

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
I don't like Target anyway.. but many people shop there.. I don't see the attraction.

5,261 posts, read 4,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Um, you do realize we are talking about a spanish commercial that aired on an english channel, right? I'm not asking the rest of the world to conform to my way of thinking. I just expect commercials on English channels to be in english and to be able to understand them.

When presented with something I don't know, that I want to know about, I will learn about it but we are talking about a commercial here. Not some intriguing new thing to learn about. Just a company targeting spanish speaking people on an english speaking channel. I see no reason to spend my time figuring out what they meant by their commercial. It was their job to get that message across and if I was their target audience (I don't believe I was), they failed.
Can you be a dear and explain why there should be an expectation that each and every advertiser produce commercials in the language that is dominant or that you prefer? This raises the level of C-D forum drama queen to a whole new level when we have some specimen complaining about something like this. The thing is, I genuinely believe you have not a clue how ignorant and dumb you sound in voicing this complaint. You really don't, do you?

Do you want to know what is doubly fascinating about your response? It's your contention that you will only take the time to learn more about those things that interest you. Do you know why this is so fascinating? The endless posts you made on the education forum, complaining about your students and this particular typ of attitude. You know, those students who wanted the information to be handed to them without working for it? The ones who don't care about your science lessons? You remind me of the fellow teachers who skipped out on inservices, classes or were on their phones texting during meetings yet expected their students to be on time, pay attention and give up the gadgets when they taught.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
This has NOT been my experience with immigrants, and I know A TON. Most of my experience is with Hispanic and Vietnamese immigrants, and they pass down the language through the generations. Many I know are third or fourth generation (not the Vietnamese) in this country, and they still speak the other language in addition to English. However, I have no problem with this. The immigrant group that I notice losing the original language the most are Filipinos.
Probably because so many Mexicans became Spanish when the border moved back in the 19th century. There have been many generations of Spanish speakers in the US. Spanish was entrenched into Southwest American culture a long time ago.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Consider yourself ignored from now on. Try some civility will you? I live in Mexifornia so I know what I am talking about
Why don't you put everyone on ignore? I don't care if your feelings are hurt by the truth. Stop whining day-after-day and you might inspire some civility in response.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:34 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I posted earlier that my dd's school delivers robo call messages in a foriegn language before they are repeated in English. We don't even get the option to press 1 for english. We have to wait through the foriegn language message first. I find this very annoying. I was here first.

I feel like we're being shoved aside by immigrants who don't want to bother learning the language. It feels weird having neighbors I cannot have the simpliest exchange with. We live in the same neighborhood and never will get to know each other becuase neither speaks the othet's language. Language is very important. Without it, we're left guessing about everything.

The typical will happen where I live. Those of us who speak english will leave and the area will become spanish speaking. We're like ships that pass in the night. Never learning about each other because we can't talk to each other. In my area there are two groups of immigrants so I'd have to learn two languages to do business with them or talk with them. It's easier to move to where people speak the same language I do.
I have been in some towns and thought I was in a foreign country. No speaky English..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies