Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:48 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times

Advertisements

As someone who has traveled a great deal in other countries, what I find embarrassing is that people in almost all those countries speak more than one language...usually including English....while people in this country find it somehow insulting that anyone in our country speaking more than one language insulting. That type of ignorance demonstrates how and why our country is falling behind other countries.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:52 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
As someone who has traveled a great deal in other countries, what I find embarrassing is that people in almost all those countries speak more than one language...usually including English....while people in this country find it somehow insulting that anyone in our country speaking more than one language insulting. That type of ignorance demonstrates how and why our country is falling behind other countries.
This. I thought this country was a melting pot and was full of diversity. But I have a feeling if certain people had their way it would be a crime to speak a different language other than English.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I find Target's new commercial, entirely in Spanish, featuring the ula ula song, disturbing. I turned on the closed caption option on my tv and I read the Spanish lyrics, but they are meaningless to me. Does this commercial bother anyone else?
Watched in once, and now turn the channel when I see it come up again. Yeah, the commercial is tacky, pure and simple.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:46 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Meh. An ad is an ad is an ad. I've heard ad soundtracks in French, Italian, German, and totally garbled English.

The object of a music track is to get you to watch the ad. It worked 100% for the OP.

I speak a little Spanish, and I could never figure out what the words to the Macarena meant, but that didn't stop every kid in the country from learning the dance ten years back. And those guys were Spanish speaking Spanish.

Next year it will be Japanese. No one listens to the words anymore, and most never did anyway.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why would I be equally confused by the English words when I have no idea how they related to the spanish words and I can actually read the English words so I know what they ares saying? The problem is I don't know how to process the spanish lyrics. I don't know if they're supposed to go with the english words or not because I don't know what is being said. Commercials often have jingles...songs that sing about the latest sale...how great the store is....whatever. How am I supposed to know that is not the case here if I don't speak spanish?
I can't believe how thin-skinned and petty this all seems. Here's a commercial from British Airways.
"Ooh, I think it's a plot! Are they dissing the English? It must be a slam of some kind! How do I know if it's a seat sale or not? I'm so confused!"

British Airways Flower Duet Lakme Commercial - YouTube

Old 06-09-2013, 01:38 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
So let me get this straight - the song about plucking out the eyes, beak, wings, feet, tail, etc of a lark is A-OK to Americans because you've "heard it before", but a catchy pop song is going to be the fall of the Target Corporation because some English speakers are offended that they don't understand the words.

Ignorance really is bliss.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Aye Dios!!!
That's it. " lets do the Hula, Hula"
Is offensive to the Gringo Population ?

The world is going to hell, better have signs in Spanish there too!

Old 06-09-2013, 02:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I find Target's new commercial, entirely in Spanish, featuring the ula ula song, disturbing. I turned on the closed caption option on my tv and I read the Spanish lyrics, but they are meaningless to me. Does this commercial bother anyone else?
If it bothers you, change the channel.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Here's my joke:
What do you call someone who speaks multiple languages? multi-lingual.
Three languages? tri-lingual.
Two languages? bi-lingual.
One language? American.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
I'll agree that knowing a second language is a good thing and I'm glad schools are requiring one for graduation now, the fact remains that many of us are monolingual. If you're a company trying to sell your goods, that should be considered when you choose the language for your commercials. I do not find people speaking two languages insulting unless they revert to the one I don't understand to talk without my understanding....kind of like what Target did with this commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies