Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
When exactly did Americans have affordable access to healthcare? Healthcare costs were destroying the financial Prospects of working class families across America because they couldn't afford insurance. Especially if they have preexisting conditions such as myself.

And Obamcare had already done amazing things for America. One small example would be my brother, who severe asthma, was able to stay on our mothers medical insurance even though he turned 24 last year. Another example being that preexisting clauses, which I had to fight extensively this year, will next year be illegal.

More great things from Obamcare are yet to come. Next year we will truly see the greatness of this legislation.
The debate over Obamacare has been hashed out in thread after thread on these forums, and I don't have any desire to hijack this thread with another. However, I'll state the following and then let it rest. Feel free to start another thread if you want to debate the pros and cons of Obamacare, I'll jump right in.

Quote:
When exactly did Americans have affordable access to healthcare?
Before the government got involved in healthcare, for the most part. However, the working poor had access to Medicaid, which while it wasn't great medical coverage did cover the basics.

Quote:
Healthcare costs were destroying the financial Prospects of working class families across America because they couldn't afford insurance.
News flash, Obamacare isn't going to change the fact that healthcare costs are astronomical. Nor is it going to make insurance premiums more affordable for any but the lowest wage earners. Middle class is going to see their rates go up, especially those that are young and healthy. Before Obamacare, those young and healthy workers could afford to gamble a bit - usually without any major consequences - by not purchasing insurance. Now, however, they will be forced to purchase health insurance at a higher premium than what they should reasonably expect to pay in order to subsidize those that are less healthy than they are.

Quote:
One small example would be my brother, who severe asthma, was able to stay on our mothers medical insurance even though he turned 24 last year.
While I'm happy that your brother is able to be covered under your mother's insurance, I don't think that Obamacare addressed this in the best possible way. Once again, for every person who is able to be covered cheaply under a health insurance plan, someone who should rightly have cheap insurance is paying a much higher premium than they rightfully should in order to subsidize the cost.

The pre-existing condition segment of Obamacare is just about the only part that I agree with, quite frankly. Even at that, I don't think we needed a 900 page law to ensure that people with pre-existing conditions could purchase health insurance.

Did healthcare need to be reformed? Undoubtedly. On the other hand, raping and pillaging the middle class in order to reform healthcare and make it more affordable for the the lower class is a shining example of how reform should not have been carried out.

Again, that's all I'm going to say on the pros and cons of Obamacare in this thread, because I don't want to sidetrack too far from the original topic. If you wish to continue the conversation, I'll be happy to jump into whatever thread you create to discuss the matter in more depth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The debate over Obamacare has been hashed out in thread after thread on these forums, and I don't have any desire to hijack this thread with another. However, I'll state the following and then let it rest. Feel free to start another thread if you want to debate the pros and cons of Obamacare, I'll jump right in.

Before the government got involved in healthcare, for the most part. However, the working poor had access to Medicaid, which while it wasn't great medical coverage did cover the basics.

News flash, Obamacare isn't going to change the fact that healthcare costs are astronomical. Nor is it going to make insurance premiums more affordable for any but the lowest wage earners. Middle class is going to see their rates go up, especially those that are young and healthy. Before Obamacare, those young and healthy workers could afford to gamble a bit - usually without any major consequences - by not purchasing insurance. Now, however, they will be forced to purchase health insurance at a higher premium than what they should reasonably expect to pay in order to subsidize those that are less healthy than they are.

While I'm happy that your brother is able to be covered under your mother's insurance, I don't think that Obamacare addressed this in the best possible way. Once again, for every person who is able to be covered cheaply under a health insurance plan, someone who should rightly have cheap insurance is paying a much higher premium than they rightfully should in order to subsidize the cost.

The pre-existing condition segment of Obamacare is just about the only part that I agree with, quite frankly. Even at that, I don't think we needed a 900 page law to ensure that people with pre-existing conditions could purchase health insurance.

Did healthcare need to be reformed? Undoubtedly. On the other hand, raping and pillaging the middle class in order to reform healthcare and make it more affordable for the the lower class is a shining example of how reform should not have been carried out.

Again, that's all I'm going to say on the pros and cons of Obamacare in this thread, because I don't want to sidetrack too far from the original topic. If you wish to continue the conversation, I'll be happy to jump into whatever thread you create to discuss the matter in more depth.
And Republicans would have kept the status quo with Americas healthcare system until people revolted. At least Obama and the democrats got rid of our old healthcare system. What we have coming is far better than what we have had for decades.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
And Republicans would have kept the status quo with Americas healthcare system until people revolted. At least Obama and the democrats got rid of our old healthcare system. What we have coming is far better than what we have had for decades.
Until we are a few years in, I would not say if it is a success or failure. People on both sides say it will help or hurt America. I honestly don't know what to believe anymore until it is fully enacted. Once it is I will give my thoughts and label Obamacare with an incomplete grade. Until then, I think it isn't appropriate to say it is better or not.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
Maybe the job growth wouldn't be so "slow" if the treasonous-teabagger-do-nothing-fascist-right-wing-Congress got off their john brown hind parts and passed its first jobs bill before trying (unsucessfully) for the 38th time to repeal Obamacare ....

Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Maybe the job growth wouldn't be so "slow" if the treasonous-teabagger-do-nothing-fascist-right-wing-Congress got off their john brown hind parts and passed its first jobs bill before trying (unsucessfully) for the 38th time to repeal Obamacare ....
The left squashed job bills as well. Anyone remember Obama's Job Bill? Yeah many Democrats, (let me repeat DEMOCRATS) said the bill was second stimulus and offered too many tax breaks.

New York Times: Some Democrats Are Balking at Obama's Jobs Bill
Mediaite: As Republicans Approach the Ropes on Jobs Bill, Democrats Reach for the Towel
The Hill: Obama's Jobs Plan Blocked in Senate

As for recent ones, Republicans AND Democrats are both against each other yet again. Democratic Jobs Bill Goes Down - NationalJournal.com What America needs is compromise. As much as people claim Republicans don't, let's be fair to the left as well.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 PM

22 posts, read 29,973 times
not too surprising as it was predictable so let's hope some solutions will surely arise.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Or maybe if liberal poiliticans like Obama weren't trying to cater to illegals and dump over 11 million of them into the labor pools who will soon be allowed to take any job they like while Americans remain unemployed. Oh -- well it's all about cheap labor that the liberal elites crave.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:14 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or maybe if liberal poiliticans like Obama weren't trying to cater to illegals and dump over 11 million of them into the labor pools who will soon be allowed to take any job they like while Americans remain unemployed. Oh -- well it's all about cheap labor that the liberal elites crave.
typo or you can't spell?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Wait until the union boys are forced to watch all their new found friends start taking jobs that are not Davis Bacon jobs..lmao sold out by the very people they pay to represent them lmao!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Fed study: Tax hikes, not spending cuts, are slowing the recovery

The San Francisco Fed does note that after the recovery began "fiscal policy sharply reversed course"." Looking ahead, the Fed does see fiscal policy slowing growth, but not, as liberals would have you believe, due to spending cuts.

Surprisingly, despite all the attention federal spending cuts and sequestration have received, our calculations suggest they are not the main contributors to this projected drag. The excess fiscal drag on the horizon comes almost entirely from rising taxes. Specifically, we calculate that nine-tenths of that projected 1 percentage point excess fiscal drag comes from tax revenue rising faster than normal as a share of the economy.

So the next time a liberal complains about austerity, be sure to ask them which of Obama's many tax hikes they want to repeal first.

Can't wait for Obamacare taxes to fully kick in. Then we can really expect a slowdown.

Fed study: Tax hikes, not spending cuts, are slowing the recovery | WashingtonExaminer.com
Why not quote the actual Fed report instead of the biased Washington Examiner? I suspect the article cherry picked.

Anyway, read Paul Krugman today in the Times and he agrees the recovery is weak.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/op...g.html?hp&_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies