Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Why is it that the US has not English and French as an official language, while Canada do? Why not start mandating public schools to start teaching French from grade 1 until high school?

French and English are the official UN language.
The US doesn't have a huge French American population the way eastern Canada does. We can't even bring ourselves to claim English as the national language, which it is. Our political correctness has become so anal that it ranks as a hobby.

With so many issues of great importance, why would we choose now to do something so frivolous? We need the government to shrink and spend less, not expand and waste more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Maybe because we're not Canada?

Wild guess.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In case you missed this fact, the US is not Canada.
True, but that begs the question is Canada the US.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
2 Spanish
3 Italian
4 German
:

No

Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,810,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
True, but that begs the question is Canada the US.

No, it is not.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, sometimes societies have to make a choice and economic considerations are not always the most important issue. Quebec obviously decided the long term preservation of their French cuture and language was more important than short term financial loses due to language laws.
Oh yeah, and also the province of Quebec has a lower unemployment rate than close to 20 American states, none of which I assume have pro-French language laws.

And the second-largest city in Quebec, Quebec City, which is close to 100% French-speaking, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Canada and even in North America.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh yeah, and also the province of Quebec has a lower unemployment rate than close to 20 American states, none of which I assume have pro-French language laws.

And the second-largest city in Quebec, Quebec City, which is close to 100% French-speaking, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Canada and even in North America.
This is all due to French being a chosen language?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Or perhaps in spite of that?

The other option to consider is that they have such a thriving culture base and wealth of 'git-er-dun' that they are thriving regardless of bumps in the road.

Here's the thinking I apply: If I were to choose to move to a place that offered walks by the river and evening gormet meals in small bistro-like cafes where I can eat in an open air setting on a small cobblestone side street watching street artists ply their specialty, I would not think twice about what language was "preferred" but rather how quickly I could learn the basics to function and even kibitz with the locals, therefore Quebec City or the Greek Islands would not phase me in the slightest.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:34 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The point is that the economic effect of the main language spoken in Quebec (at this point in history anyway) is probably negligible.

Some people seem to think English is in some way "magic" but there are scores of economically destitute places in North America (and indeed the world) where English can flourish unfettered.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The point is that the economic effect of the main language spoken in Quebec (at this point in history anyway) is probably negligible.

Some people seem to think English is in some way "magic" but there are scores of economically destitute places in North America (and indeed the world) where English can flourish unfettered.
I can see your point and it is well stated.
In regards to the needs of the United States. Our French population as well as any cultural connection to France is comparatively small. For what ever reason the general consensus among many in the USA is that we don't want to be like the French.
I have been to France several times and I would be a liar if I claimed that France is less than beautiful. I believe Twain said it best. The only problem with France is all the french people. This was my experience also.
As I recall they had a knock off of Burger King. I had a queen Burger. damned good burger. LOL
Loved the bullet train, the Eiffel Tower and of course the night life. That said the arrogance and rudeness of the people when I was there can not be understated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies