Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,140,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Do you think Bill is right on the solution to the break down of the black family due to liberal policies.

Bill Cosby: We Should All be More Like Muslims
Why don't people just teach their children good values, what does being muslim have to do with it?

Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,101,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Why don't people just teach their children good values, what does being muslim have to do with it?

Read the whole article, as Cosby wrote it, not the cut and paste version the OP offers. He DOES say that.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,841,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What exactly did they say that is spin?
The fact they decided to focus their headline and story on the Black Muslim part of Cosby's column, while ignoring the majority of the rest of the column.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,552,811 times
My parents are married. I grew up in a two parent home. My parents are Christian. My fiance also believes in getting married first, and then having children, and raising them together. We are both Christian, and Both Black Americans. I commend Bill Cosby for speaking up about the disaster that single parenthood is to so many Black Americans. He still needs to understand that many many Black Americans also value marriage, intact families, and we are tired of so many acting as if we don't exist.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:57 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,155,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The fact they decided to focus their headline and story on the Black Muslim part of Cosby's column, while ignoring the majority of the rest of the column.
O.K. that is likely fair enough. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,509,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Here's the link and full text to the actual article for those too lazy to read what he actually wrote:
(And yes, the reference to specifically Black Muslims is a small part of the piece).

Bill Cosby: A plague called apathy - NYPOST.com

Quote:
It is almost becoming a faith. We have to continue to say these words, we must not give up.

SHELVE THE DIRTY LAUNDRY

There should be marches in every neighborhood every day telling the people about the negativity of drugs and how the drugs help us to behave negatively.

Now, if a white person does it, sells drugs to black people, then we’re up in arms, then we’re marching, but when a black person sells another black person crack cocaine, heroin or something that will give us addiction and cause us to not want to support our children and even give our children the same disease, nothing is said, nothing is done. But it has got to be hammered over and over.

What are you doing with your dirty laundry? You walk around with it! Your children are walking the streets loudly using profanity feeling kind of powerful as they storm the subway or whatever. I’m not asking people to not be children, but this is anger stuff. They get on the subways and they’re disrespecting elders. What happened to the old saying, “I didn’t raise you like that.” It’s true! You knew that your mother and father didn’t allow you to go around and disrespect elders. So, the dirty laundry is very simple, man: You wouldn’t have it if you did something about it.

A guy said to me, why don’t you go over there and talk to the white people about dirty laundry. I said I’m not concerned. I wasn’t brought up being concerned about how white people behave. Except when they were looking at us and saying I don’t like you because of your color and that’s when I’m concerned because they’re crazy. If you look at my color and all you’re concerned about is the color of my skin than you’re crazy because you are disregarding black colleges, people who grow up and become great at things that the racists tried to prevent.

There were abolitionist whites who did more than a whole lot of black people, abolitionist Asians, abolitionists of every color, some Jews, some Catholics, Irish, everybody joining in. They knew that racism and slavery is wrong — but they also knew that apathy is not good.

When you have all of these things going wrong, we go back to the drink and the cigarette smoking. There are things that, if we behave better, eat better, we will feel better, think clearly. We will begin to challenge the apathy.

I’ve said it 100 times, the revolution is in the house. Now if you don’t want to be a part of the revolution, you say to the school system, “I want you to raise my child.” No, the revolution is at home.

Earl Lloyd, the first black NBA basketball player, tells a wonderful story of coming home and his mother said, “Where have you been?” He said, “I was out.” “No, no,” she said, “where have been?” He said, “Momma I was just . . .” She said, I asked you a question; he said, I was on the court. She said, I told you not to be out there with those boys. He said, I wasn’t doing anything.

And she said, “Look, when you’re not in the picture, you can’t be framed.”

Now, that’s the kind of stuff parents need to be doing. Stay away from the guys on the corner fighting to be nothing. The revolution is in the home.

It even happens with celebrities. People knew what Michael Jackson was doing, people knew what Whitney Houston was doing, and then they became addicts.

Michael should have been kept in rehab. Where was the family? Why weren’t they making sure Whitney and Michael got help? Michael, well, why is it that his family stood by and allowed him to have a Dr. Feelgood when they knew Michael had sleep, drug and other problems? Why didn’t Whitney’s family take the crack pipe away from her?

These people had more than enough money to do what was right. Everyone looks to protect their own interest — but not the person, which in Michael’s case, he was a company unto himself.

I’m a Christian. But Muslims are misunderstood. Intentionally misunderstood. We should all be more like them. They make sense, especially with their children. There is no other group like the Black Muslims, who put so much effort into teaching children the right things, they don’t smoke, they don’t drink or overindulge in alcohol, they protect their women, they command respect. And what do these other people do?

They complain about them, they criticize them. We’d be a better world if we emulated them. We don’t have to become black Muslims, but we can embrace the things that work.

We need people, not just in the church but in the community, who are not afraid to speak up because they want to hear a child’s laughter — not a child’s blood-curdling scream because a bullet hit them. We want them playing outside.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:22 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,552,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Here's the link and full text to the actual article for those too lazy to read what he actually wrote:
(And yes, the reference to specifically Black Muslims is a small part of the piece).

Bill Cosby: A plague called apathy - NYPOST.com
Bill Cosby had a child out-of-wedlock with a White American woman, while married to his wife. This same woman and Cosby's biracial daughter tried to extort millions from Cosby at the very time that Cosby's only son was murdered. This is one of the reasons that Cosby is having some difficulty getting Black Americans to truly listen to him. He is viewed by many as talking the talk, but not walking the walk. His own moral compass is lacking, but he keeps pointing the finger at everyone else. Too many skeletons peeking out of his closet.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,104 times
People need to read the actual piece Cosby wrote. He says a lot of things that make sense, the Muslim comment was but a very small part of it-

Quote:
"We don’t have to become black Muslims, but we can embrace the things that work."
As per usual, Dr. Cosby is right. The revolution begins at home. This is the answer to Chicago's "youth" problem, and to many other things that plague the urban black community.

Now sit back and wait for all those Obamacrats on the Plantation call Cosby a traitor to his race, an Uncle Tom, et. al. The truth hurts. And for the record, we already know what your dirty laundry is. Stop the crab bucket mentality.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,497,975 times
So when are the peaceful, "good" Muslims going to speak out about the militant ones? Only then will I think Cosby has a good point.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,497,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Bill Cosby had a child out-of-wedlock with a White American woman, while married to his wife. This same woman and Cosby's biracial daughter tried to extort millions from Cosby at the very time that Cosby's only son was murdered. This is one of the reasons that Cosby is having some difficulty getting Black Americans to truly listen to him. He is viewed by many as talking the talk, but not walking the walk. His own moral compass is lacking, but he keeps pointing the finger at everyone else. Too many skeletons peeking out of his closet.
Christians do forgive the sinner and I think Cosby more than paid for that sin. His own son was murdered around the time it was revealed. Let it go already. He was forgiven and it's a sin to keep bringing it up over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.