Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
It's the same as the 60's except on steroids...
It's not the same as the 60's. The "spying" may be more widespread today, but is far more innocuous than the type of focused and sinister spying that was going on in the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Guardian says it has more. Hopefully they won't wait too long before publishing it.
The more they uncover and tell us the more sheep that will wake up.

I love that picture!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No government should ever be trusted
Seems that was the intent of the Founders with the Constitution and Bill of Rights we have today.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Seems that was the intent of the Founders with the Constitution and Bill of Rights we have today.

What was it that I heard... that 56% of Americans are OK with the government spying on their fellow citizens to catch potential terrorists? To me that tells me that a lot of people in this country seem to think that the US Constitution is just an outdated piece of paper! Quite sad.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Never have and never will. And those who do are gullible to say the least.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I do....... Hippys are the fools running this country now..... They cut their hair and rejected their supposed values they had back then and have ruined a few generation of younger people, not to mention the 17 trillion debt the unborn already OWE!

These flower children are nothing more than money grubbers now.......
Hippies became war mongoring, Corporatist bigbrother loving neoprogs/cons?

I do not think so.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Hippies became war mongoring, Corporatist bigbrother loving neoprogs/cons?

I do not think so.
Nope, although I do know a few from Kent State who became teabaggers.
Only a handful out of the hundreds I knew/know.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
It's not the same as the 60's. The "spying" may be more widespread today, but is far more innocuous than the type of focused and sinister spying that was going on in the 60's.
Think about this, back in the '60's when the "focused and sinister spying" was going on it had to be done by individual people. It took a lot of manpower/time/money so it couldn't be really widespread. Secondly, once the target realized the surveillance was going on it wasn't all that hard to avoid it.

Nowadays it costs little to nothing to focus sinister spying on not just one person or group at a time but on everyone,everywhere at any time.

Back then to read someone's mail took a huge amount of work, they'd have to first get the letters then open them,reseal them then deliver them without leaving a trace. Now? Heck it's a keystroke with nobody the wiser (until now).
Back then it took a team of people to eavesdrop on phones or if they planted a bug. Now? Well again, just a keystroke and it's recorded to hard drives to be keyword analyzed later. As for bugs? Already planted by the subject. Phone,cell,onstar,cable tv,internet tv, alarm systems etc.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM

322 posts, read 547,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

Elections and what the people want will carry the day.
C'mon man, you don't believe that do you? Politicians don't listen to the voice of the people because the people are idiots..and we've proven that over and over again. If we don't get our talking points spoon fed to us by our preferred left or right leaning information control machines (aka - all news outlets) we don't know what to do with ourselves.

We allow ourselves to be lied to repeatedly, distracted by sensationalized non-issues, and to be pandered to like we're the lowest common denominator. It's flippin disgusting. And then we have the nerve to be shocked when the beauty pageant winners (we call them elected officials) operate in a manner directly in conflict with what they represented.

I hate to say it, but the problem with American Politics is us, people..not them. Until we demand excellence and integrity, we wil not receive it..just sayin.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
C'mon man, you don't believe that do you? Politicians don't listen to the voice of the people because the people are idiots..and we've proven that over and over again. If we don't get our talking points spoon fed to us by our preferred left or right leaning information control machines (aka - all news outlets) we don't know what to do with ourselves.

We allow ourselves to be lied to repeatedly, distracted by sensationalized non-issues, and to be pandered to like we're the lowest common denominator. It's flippin disgusting. And then we have the nerve to be shocked when the beauty pageant winners (we call them elected officials) operate in a manner directly in conflict with what they represented.

I hate to say it, but the problem with American Politics is us, people..not them. Until we demand excellence and integrity, we wil not receive it..just sayin.

Reps to you! And in other words... we the people get the government that we deserve. I exercise my right to vote during every election, but I no longer vote for candidates from the 2 main parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies