Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,813,152 times

Advertisements

Top 4 worst Presidents:

1.) Lincoln
2.) Wilson
3.) LBJ
4.) FDR

I'd bet you wouldn't very much agreement on that list. Perhaps here but not in the real world.

Lincoln is the best president the US has ever had (excluding GW who is in a class of his own).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
I didnt trust the Gov before any of this happened. Lets face facts. Politicians are professional liars. The people they appoint are of the same ilk.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Top 4 worst Presidents:

1.) Lincoln
2.) Wilson
3.) LBJ
4.) FDR

I'd bet you wouldn't very much agreement on that list. Perhaps here but not in the real world.

Lincoln is the best president the US has ever had (excluding GW who is in a class of his own).
Nice troll attempt, but waaaaaaay too obvious.

You get a 0/10 on the troll scale.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,404,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The America-haters will always find fault. It's their mission in life. For the rest of us, I believe we concentrate on facts and truths and balance those things against our lives overall. Without the rhetoric meant not to help understand or resolve issues, but to tear-down our nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Sorry but yes I trust our Govt and our ability as citizens to make changes. This is the greatest form of Govt.
If you read and fall for the crapola coming on these pages you are one of the uneducated who has great dreams and no common sense when it comes to how this govt is run.
This type of public outcry is media and political driven.
Unless the public sees that the Repub. run house does not want to address any issue concerning privacy then they do not belong in Govt. Get on those Repub. house members to fix the Patriot Act.

Elections and what the people want will carry the day.
Wow, 30 posts before anyone said anything remotely objective. What a crowd...
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I recently turned 40. When I was much younger and in my early 20s I didn't really care much about politics. Though, I never fully trusted the powers that be. I could never truly align myself with either party. Just that nagging feeling in the back of my mind... you know....that stuff just isn't right. I started really waking up in 2000, and 2001 after 9/11.

Furthermore, I truly find it funny that people trash "conspiracy theorists" who have been saying that this has been going on for years, dismissing them as kooks, using the tin-foil references, and yada yada.... It seems those "conspiracy theorists" may have been right all along.
Nope, they're still kooks, just much more garbage for them to hang their tin foil hats on in today's 24/7 media world. I doubt most people on this thread, and in general, really understand the most recent NSA leak situation - but some people live to be outraged, never mind the facts.

IMO there are at least two very difficult questions that arise from the situation, though I haven't seen any discussion.
1) Where is the balance between privacy and protecting citizens from terrorist attacks? There are trade-offs (we can't have both), and consensus is impossible.
2) Why the uproar over the NSA having for example phone metadata (not content without legal approval) when Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon, and hundreds/thousands of other groups collecting deeper private information every day for years?

Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
\ I doubt most people on this thread, and in general, really understand the most recent NSA leak situation - but some people live to be outraged, never mind the facts.
Ok, since I am knowledgeable on the current NSA leak, why dont you enlighten me as to what you think it is that I am not aware of.

A fact based and honest debate.

Lets see whatcha got.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM

"Most people" (go back and read each post) seem to think the NSA has content from phone calls to start with. IOW, they don't know what they're objecting to in the first place.

And while I don't support what Snowden did (he should be prosecuted as law allows), what hard/actionable information was leaked?

Read about PRISM, any merit? Like I said, we can't have our unadultered privacy and be as fully protected as possible from terrorist activity too.

This is yet another OP more interested in provoking than worthwhile discussion, with lots of willing supporters...

Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,419,720 times
The left wants bigger government, Obama promotes bigger government, that is what you voted for when you voted for Obama.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
"Most people" (go back and read each post) seem to think the NSA has content from phone calls to start with. IOW, they don't know what they're objecting to in the first place.

And while I don't support what Snowden did (he should be prosecuted as law allows), what hard/actionable information was leaked?

Read about PRISM, any merit? Like I said, we can't have our unadultered privacy and be as fully protected as possible from terrorist activity too.

This is yet another OP more interested in provoking than worthwhile discussion, with lots of willing supporters...
The bottom line is that the U.S. government has no need to know who I called, where I was when I called, or how long I talked to someone for. It has nothing to do with the content of the call, they are already invading my privacy, and the privacy of hundreds of millions of other people as well.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,978,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
The bottom line is that the U.S. government has no need to know who I called, where I was when I called, or how long I talked to someone for. It has nothing to do with the content of the call, they are already invading my privacy, and the privacy of hundreds of millions of other people as well.

I second that!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Well that supports your "knowledgeable on the current NSA leak" claim in spades.

You failed to note that most people are under the misguided impression the NSA has phone/internet content on all US citizens.

Does PRISM have merits WRT counter-terrorism? And if the government has no access/knowledge of phone metadata, you accept the inevitably greater vulnerability of terrorist attacks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies