U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 4,417,274 times
Reputation: 2580

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone can explain the legal logic behind this. Texting while driving more dangerous than drinking and driving. But if you get in an accident while texting and kill someone, it doesn't seem like you get the jail time of someone who is drunk driving, which usually amounts to involuntary manslaughter. This doesn't make sense to me.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM
 
10,845 posts, read 6,469,851 times
Reputation: 7489
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I'm hoping someone can explain the legal logic behind this. Texting while driving more dangerous than drinking and driving. But if you get in an accident while texting and kill someone, it doesn't seem like you get the jail time of someone who is drunk driving, which usually amounts to involuntary manslaughter. This doesn't make sense to me.

Do you have a specific example you are thinking of? What state?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Status: "We care alot" (set 12 days ago)
 
32,079 posts, read 17,423,488 times
Reputation: 14824
Dont give the stasi squad any new ideas. They'll be calling for roadbloacks to check for phones, newspapers, make up kits and twinkies on front seats.

The only time there should be charges is when there is damage to person or property. Tickets for cause are just excuses to tax drivers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Toronto
2,161 posts, read 2,405,523 times
Reputation: 1148
I don't think it should be made illegal. I think if you get into an accident while texting or drinking, you should be considered uninsurable. No insurance company should take you on as a customer after that. Obviously, you don't take driving seriously and should never be trusted again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,934 posts, read 7,410,825 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I'm hoping someone can explain the legal logic behind this. Texting while driving more dangerous than drinking and driving. But if you get in an accident while texting and kill someone, it doesn't seem like you get the jail time of someone who is drunk driving, which usually amounts to involuntary manslaughter. This doesn't make sense to me.
The laws are different, throughout the country. No 'one size' fits all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
 
Location: USA
13,256 posts, read 10,623,314 times
Reputation: 4228
My sister was nearly killed by someone talking on a cell phone while driving.


I think the OP's statement is very valid.


However, I don't believe someone talking on their cell phone is criminal just like I don't believe someone who's drinking after having had a few drinks is criminal.

The problem is when it affects their driving.



I AM 100% behind DUI checkpoints any other road blocks to curtail bad driving behavior though. Increase patrols and actually ticket bad drivers rather than simply setting up revenue traps.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 4,417,274 times
Reputation: 2580
I dont think a lot of you are getting the point of my post. My point is that someone who has been drinking and kills someone in an accident is charged with involuntary manslaughter and sent to year behind bars. Someone who is texting and driving or eating and driving doesn't receive the same sentence.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: USA
13,256 posts, read 10,623,314 times
Reputation: 4228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I dont think a lot of you are getting the point of my post. My point is that someone who has been drinking and kills someone in an accident is charged with involuntary manslaughter and sent to year behind bars. Someone who is texting and driving or eating and driving doesn't receive the same sentence.
Both have to do with making a choice that can potentially cause harm to others.


Your argument is completely valid.


I agree with you. If anything, I think it would change some of our DUI laws in this country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM
 
4,838 posts, read 3,647,227 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I don't think it should be made illegal. I think if you get into an accident while texting or drinking, you should be considered uninsurable. No insurance company should take you on as a customer after that. Obviously, you don't take driving seriously and should never be trusted again.
Just because they would be uninsurable doesn't mean they wouldn't keep driving. I didn't have car insurance for like 2 months one time because I didn't have the money, yet I still drove.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Chesapeake Bay
6,047 posts, read 3,998,388 times
Reputation: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Just because they would be uninsurable doesn't mean they wouldn't keep driving. I didn't have car insurance for like 2 months one time because I didn't have the money, yet I still drove.
You were lucky. If you are stopped for any reason, aren't you asked for drivers license, tag receipt (whatever they call it) and insurance card? Lack any 1 of the 3 and you are in trouble.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top