Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how many incarcerated people in the U.S.A. are gay?

There was a few threads not long a go about male/male rape in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
As long as it is not on TV and it is shown to its targeted audience, which is kids with incarcerated parents, I think it is a good idea. I do not think it is appropriate for the average young child. We can spare them from making them aware of that issue for while. They don't need more things to worry about if it can be avoided.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As long as it is not on TV and it is shown to its targeted audience, which is kids with incarcerated parents, I think it is a good idea. I do not think it is appropriate for the average young child. We can spare them from making them aware of that issue for while. They don't need more things to worry about if it can be avoided.
You don't know that for sure though.
They said they will make a DVD available.

Now how do they find their "targeted audience" ?
And who gets this DVD ? Schools, libraries, other public mass gathering spots ?

I have a feeling it will end up mainstream like other social issues.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
What about when dad sleeps with Aunty?
You're hijacking your own thread in the first post.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Number one, it happens to many children across the country. It isn't just one kid. Number two, what the hell is wrong with addressing issues that face children and letting them know they aren't the only ones in that particular situation?
Per World News Tonight, it's 1 in 28 children in this country that have experienced having a parent in jail. I see nothing wrong with finding a way to help innocent children deal with this. Maybe it can help break the cycle, by helping kids deal with their feelings so they don't grow up angry, who knows? I don't understand why anyone would object to this.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
How about when Mommy and Daddy split up and Daddy brings home his new wife Robert.
Or mommy brings home her new husband betty.

Quote:

Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Per World News Tonight, it's 1 in 28 children in this country that have experienced having a parent in jail. I see nothing wrong with finding a way to help innocent children deal with this. Maybe it can help break the cycle, by helping kids deal with their feelings so they don't grow up angry, who knows? I don't understand why anyone would object to this.
I'm dealing with many of these types of kids in school (parent in jail).
They aren't angry at all.
But they scoff at the law at such an early age..just as their parents have done.
And having a criminal record is accepted as part of living in the community.

But it's hard to tell a kid their parent did something wrong and are paying the price for it.
It's hard to tell a kid not to do what their parent is doing.
These kids adjust to a parent/sibling in jail.
The big trip once a month to the state/fed facility to visit becomes a family outing.
It's normalized for them.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
You make fun of children who have to cope with a parent in jail?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
'Sesame Street' to teach kids how to cope when Mommy or Daddy goes to prison

The new muppet character is named Alex.

This was focused on the fact that one in three black men are either in prison, or have been in prison, and that there maybe children out there, that know and miss their dad, and this demographic should be represented.

But, oh God forbid, children acquire an understanding that there are some people that prefer a mate of the same gender?? That would be a catastrophe! Much better to have children grow up hating, and teach them lies about gay people. Afterall, homosexuality might be contagious otherwise.

Last edited by 9162; 06-18-2013 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Does anyone know how many incarcerated people in the U.S.A. are gay?

There was a few threads not long a go about male/male rape in prison.
So, what you're saying is, the moment a straight guy rapes another guy he's automatically gay? If a guy is really gay in prison, do you think he's going to have that much difficulty getting sex in an all male environment, where there are NO women?? With many of these guys in jail for years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies