Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But it is. The Pew survey showed the flip flop between 2006 and today.
It really is about who is sitting in the Oval Office.
Well it shouldn't. It should not be I will blindly support the government on every issue because it is "my guy" in office. And at the same time, we should not blindly blame the government on every issue just when the President is the "other guy" from a different party. We are supposed to be a little more intelligent than that.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This is nowhere near a serious crime. Just stop it. It is well known that the Chinese hack us and we do it back. Nothing top secret about that at all.
Maybe this is our new, future version of war. Lots of damage but the buildings stand and the people live on.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm still waiting for you folks to show what classified information was exposed. Perhaps you can be the first to provide this information. Link will suffice backed up by the information exposed. We are still waiting......
I believe these people are more knowledgeable about the consequences of what Snowden did than you or I.

Quote:
Snowden’s actions have been praised by many civil libertarians who say he rightly drew attention to programs they believe infringe on privacy rights. But the White House and leaders of the House and Senate Intelligence panels have criticized Snowden, saying the programs were legal and that he has compromised national security.
On Tuesday, Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) called Snowden a “traitor.”
King said the leaks had caused “incredible damage.”
“It’s going to put American lives at risk,” he added

Read more: Rep. King: Punish reporters who help leak classified information - The Hill's Video
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Well I have yet to see this guy name anyone.
While I prefer not to wait and see if he can or does that wasn't the point of my comment which was that when people claim to do something for the "good of the country" then turn to the least transparent, least democratic, or those with the least clean hands, I become extremely concerned which is why the whole Bradley Manning affair has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

When I think of "whistle blowers" like Daniel Ellsberg, a senior analyst who held author the very report that he leaked, whose expertise in the field gave him a rather objective basis for weighting the pros and cons of his revelations. Who attempted to go through Congress and then only turning to the press and most importantly stayed in the country to defend his actions I detect certain level of seriousness to the endeavor and a lot less self aggrandizement.

Quote:
Until then your comparison's are nothing more than your imagination at work and your defense of Obama's regime who is on par with that same KGB right now.
Here's the problem with your argument, and please this isn't a blame Bush argument but the fact is that during the Bush administration the NSA conducted a very similar program, the difference was that there was not even the pretense of judicial oversight. The Verizon program, which none of have the slightest details of how it operated, was on the other hand conducted under warrant and the appropriate Congressional oversight. The KGB, didn't report to the Poliburo, much less the Supreme Soviet and never ever sought a warrant from the Soviet Supreme Court.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, to the bolded part, and he seems to have a large fan base here in US too. The more classified info he reveals, the more they cheer him.
Considering our lengthy history of posting together, are you surprised? I haven't forgotten how you were pilloried for remaining an Independent. Of course, when people demonize our president for being a Communist yet commend someone who has or will give classified materials to actual Communists, you know you're down the rabbit hole with Alice.

Last edited by Evenstar51; 06-12-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well it shouldn't. It should not be I will blindly support the government on every issue because it is "my guy" in office. And at the same time, we should not blindly blame the government on every issue just when the President is the "other guy" from a different party. We are supposed to be a little more intelligent than that.
You would think so, but people are too partisan for it. There are many people here who used every argument to defend the Patriot Act 10 years ago, and now they are using every argument to oppose now it because there is another president.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Considering our lengthy history of posting together, are you surprised? I haven't forgotten how you were pilloried for remaining an Indepenent. Of course, when people demonize our president for being a Communist yet commend someone who has or will give classified materials to actual Communists, you know you're down the rabbit hole with Alice.
Indeed.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Well I have yet to see this guy name anyone. Until then your comparison's are nothing more than your imagination at work and your defense of Obama's regime who is on par with that same KGB right now.
I am afraid Snowden is naming them right now, as we post, to the Chinese government. It isn't like China will broadcast this information to the world. They are smarter than that, they will act on the information first.

Think about it. Would it make sense to you that China will report the classified information they get from Snowden for your reading pleasure?

Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
You people have short memories.

Back in 2008 what the NSA was doing under Bush undermined the Constitution.
But today the very same doesn't ?

From 2008 and you can thank Mark Klein (Room 641A) for leaking that.
Obama: I'll Fight To Strip Telecom Immunity From FISA - Horserace - CBS News
The government eavesdropped on American phone and computer lines for almost six years after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks without permission from the FISA Court, the special panel established for that purpose under the original 1978 law.
Obama said there is "little doubt" that the Bush Administration, with the cooperation of major telecommunications companies, "has abused [its] authority and undermined the Constitution by intercepting the communications of innocent Americans without their knowledge or the required court orders."

Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am afraid Snowden is naming them right now, as we post, to the Chinese government. It isn't like China will broadcast this information to the world. They are smarter than that, they will act on the information first.

Think about it. Would it make sense to you that China will report the classified information they get from Snowden for your reading pleasure?
China doesn't need any "names". This isn't WWIII.
China has some of the most sophisticated US educated hackers in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies