Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
True, though I like the idea of an average citizen making a check. The trouble with government secrecy is the people (and even some politicians) are left out being informed enough to decide. Secret courts have few checks. Governments like keeping things secret. It gives freer rein and less to worry about and less the citizens can do about it.
The one new thought I had because of this case is when I looked in shock at the bi-partition reaction that there's nothing to be afraid of. Then it hit me. If Congress was suppose to be overseeing but they blew it, then they are now closing ranks. It doesn't matter what they really think, they can't make it look like it is their fault.

I'm not usually that cynical.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The two issues have nothing to do with each other, and no matter how you slice it Snowden's actions do not come under the Whistle Blower Protection Act.
I guess we will get to see.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Nowhere did I brand you as a racist either directly or indirectly, but it is interesting that you feel compelled to bring race into the discussion. Hmmmm.
I also have no need to defend my position to the likes of you.

The likes of me? What are the likes of me?

Back to your claim:

Quote:
Your hatred of President Obama is coming thru quite clear & you have transferred that hate toward your country (provided you live in the United States) When I was in the Armed Services I went by the motto "loose lips sink ships"..It's not up to Snowden as to what secrets he can reveal. When he signed with a company under government contract, he was obligated to not expose ANY secrets. It's the same when you take any job. MLK was a hero. He went to jail for what he believed in.
If you have a problem with the FISA court, contact your Congressman as it was Congress that created the court & only Congress can eliminate it.

Where and when have I EVER expressed a HATRED of President Obama? Please provide proof of this alleged hatred.

I have said everyone in federal government should be strung up, but that was for all of them violating the Constitution. It was about them violating their oath of office. A constitutionally required oath.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
How would anyone know about those crimes if NOT for Snowden?

Every government employee is required to take an oath. That oath is NOT to uphold unconstitutional laws rules or regulations. That oath is to support and defend the Constitution.
And every person who enters the military. But some of the brainwashed active or inactive military here were obviously asleep when it was given.

I took that oath, and I promise to do all I can to uphold it. And I do know a bit about secrecy, and classified material handling, but I don't see any need to talk about it here.

Disclaimer.
This post could have been intercepted and doctored by the NSA, and therefore may not represent the views of the sender.
Moderator cut: trolling

Last edited by Yac; 06-24-2013 at 02:26 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Because your position sounds much like that of the right wing blogosphere and the Ron & Rand Paul. It's no wonder Snowden was a Ron Paul supporter.
It just sounded like partisan name-calling, assuming everyone who disagrees with you is from a different party. My position also could read as from someone who's an ACLU member.

If you remember 10 years ago, much of the right-wing was consumed with sacrificing civil liberties for the sake of security. I didn't forget. Some sacrifices may have needed to be made, but at some point we must say "this is enough!"

Back in the early 70s when Daniel Ellsburg leaked the Pentagon Papers, most liberals strongly supported him. While many liberals do support Snowden, there is less vocal support. The change is discomfiting.

Bernie Sanders On NSA Leak Revelations: We're Heading For An 'Orwellian Future'

Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The two issues have nothing to do with each other, and no matter how you slice it Snowden's actions do not come under the Whistle Blower Protection Act.
why not?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
He wouldn't gain any respect in fact he would face impeachment if he did what Snowden did. I will never understand your paranoia over NSA. It parallels that of AlQueda.

Are you SERIOUS? Now you are equating Constitution loving and Constitution defending American citizens with terrorists?

What are you, 8 years old? If not, quit acting like it.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,752 times
Quote:
Where and when have I EVER expressed a HATRED of President Obama? Please provide proof of this alleged hatred.
Crickets......

Quote:
I have said everyone in federal government should be strung up, but that was for all of them violating the Constitution. It was about them violating their oath of office. A constitutionally required oath.
People like him are to immature to even comprehend that folks like us even exist.

+100 can't rep you any more.

Disclaimer.
This post could have been intercepted and doctored by the NSA, and therefore may not represent the views of the sender.

Moderator cut: trolling

Last edited by Yac; 06-24-2013 at 02:22 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Thankfully the oath isn't that serious "support' is pretty weak.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Back in the early 70s when Daniel Ellsburg leaked the Pentagon Papers, most liberals strongly supported him. While many liberals do support Snowden, there is less vocal support. The change is discomfiting.

Bernie Sanders On NSA Leak Revelations: We're Heading For An 'Orwellian Future'
Good contrast article: Edward Snowden: A Modern-Day Daniel Ellsberg, Except for One Thing | TIME.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies