Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

I don't know where people get this idea that the poor don't work. Many work HARD!

I know people out here working 3 to 4 jobs to support their families, but who the hell is going to make it in life off these ****ty ass wages and there's no incentives really to increase them due to illegals taking over and working for such **** pay which only ends up impacting all of our pay.

In these times, you pretty much have to suck it up, go to college, pray that you get a job after graduation and live the rest of your life paying off loans to make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Replace welfare programs (food stamps, medicaid, section 8, etc) with a negative income tax. You'll do four things. Empower people to make their own decisions with their money, remove the middleman (welfare agencies), remove abuse/fraud, and you'll stop reinforcing welfare dependence/perpetual poverty as you are basically giving people no reason to remain poor. Using a nice round figure of a population of 300m the federal gov't could give $1,500 to each individual while spending $450b, a marked savings over what they are currently spending.
This idea would never fly though as Dems love their gov't run programs so much because it's a source of votes and it's still "wealth restribution" and giving ppl a hand up to the Repubs. You can slowly reduce and then phase out the benefit when certain income milestones are reached as well for an additional cost savings.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Replace welfare programs (food stamps, medicaid, section 8, etc) with a negative income tax. You'll do four things. Empower people to make their own decisions with their money, remove the middleman (welfare agencies), remove abuse/fraud, and you'll stop reinforcing welfare dependence/perpetual poverty as you are basically giving people no reason to remain poor. Using a nice round figure of a population of 300m the federal gov't could give $1,500 to each individual while spending $450b, a marked savings over what they are currently spending.
This idea would never fly though as Dems love their gov't run programs so much because it's a source of votes and it's still "wealth restribution" and giving ppl a hand up to the Repubs. You can slowly reduce and then phase out the benefit when certain income milestones are reached as well for an additional cost savings.

We have one, EITC, and I'd favor diverting most Welfare Funds towards EITC as long as we capped the lietime maximum benefits of EITC, counting it towards the individual cap of every adult in the household.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
freemkt, your mileage does vary but posting on cd all the time isn't going to get you anywhere. How about a job or getting another job like those people subsiding your existence has to do.

I have a sucky job and no marketable skills and too old and no transportation and nobody will hire me for another job. 20 years ago I could get jobs but not now.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have a sucky job and no marketable skills and too old and no transportation and nobody will hire me for another job. 20 years ago I could get jobs but not now.
I truly feel bad for you. I mean this with all honesty.
Not because you are poor. Not because you have a sucky job.
I feel sad for you because you appear to be completely beaten. As long as you have a heart beat, as long as you draw breath you are never completely beaten.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Half of those are highly skilled jobs that most people can't get and a lot of the remaining jobs are low-wage sucky jobs.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
anyone can get a job if they want a job
I started a cleaning service 25 years a go
I had no money and I have worked hard to keep it going all of these years I also started a pet service I am 61 years old and I work 6-7 days a week I own my home and have never been on welfair or food stamps and I have survived at times eating tuna
I know lots of folks who are self employed
there are some folks that need help like the elderly or a working single mother or father
but to say there is no work is just not true
and to eat off of government because they are too lazy to work is not the answer
I want to see and end to fraud but they are too afraid to hold them accountable
hell folks can take cruses on food stamps that is bull crap
it is these people that their stamps should be stopped and if they get hungry them maybe they will get a job

Could you start a cleaning service if you had no car and no license?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
WMT hires people with down's syndrome all the time, so there's no reason to believe that nobody will hire you. MI has an unemployment rate of 8.4% which is higher than the national average. You can have a sucky job and get more than min wage in many parts of the country, but you want to stay where you are doing what you have been doing.

Most people do what they have to do. Case in point. Russia's economy collapsed back in the late 80's and my mom made the decision to come here shortly afterwards. She did what she had to do because she felt the Russian environment would not improve anytime soon. Her sister wasn't comfortable moving countries and didn't even try. Guess which one has the lake house?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:06 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Half of those are highly skilled jobs that most people can't get and a lot of the remaining jobs are low-wage sucky jobs.
WWHHD? What would homo habilis do? With a brain half the size of Homo sapien spaien, apparently homo habilis was 200% smarter than some Homo sapiens today. Why? Because homo habilis would move to where resources were and where they could survive and thrive.

You're not dumber than one of your earliest known human relatives are you

Maybe you're not dumber but you've excelled in the capacity to make excuses to stay where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies