Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 AM

6,252 posts, read 5,052,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
That basketball game was in San Antonio, a majority Hispanic city. Mexican culture is everywhere in San Antonio. It is perfectly reasonable for the kid to be wearing attire of Mexican people.

I suppose in Miami it could have been a 10 year old kid of Cuban descent. I wouldn't have a problem with that either.
Actually it wasn't perfectly reasonable. San Antonio may be a majority Hispanic city (which could be a whole 'nother topic of conversation) but this boy was singing the American national anthem.

He sang the song beautifully and respectfully (and thankfully in English) and I won't fault a little boy for any questionable actons. But he wore the clothing he did for a reason. I have to make the assumption (because he is a little boy) that it was adults who decided what he should wear to sing the national anthem on a national stage. It was done for a reason. It didn't just happen. The speculation of course, is what was the reason.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Actually it wasn't perfectly reasonable. San Antonio may be a majority Hispanic city (which could be a whole 'nother topic of conversation) but this boy was singing the American national anthem.

He sang the song beautifully and respectfully (and thankfully in English) and I won't fault a little boy for any questionable actons. But he wore the clothing he did for a reason. I have to make the assumption (because he is a little boy) that it was adults who decided what he should wear to sing the national anthem on a national stage. It was done for a reason. It didn't just happen. The speculation of course, is what was the reason.
Who cares! Who cares! Who cares! Who cares! Would you people STOP getting up in arms about every damn thing? It's tiresome & annoying & people are sick of it.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 AM

624 posts, read 902,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He was dressed in a Mexican outfit -- the same kind of outfit that some university kids wore and got condemned for wearing and called racist for wearing.

I think some people would defend him waving his big Mexican flag while singing our national anthem.

Kids in Texas are not normally running around in the cultural clothes of another nation, not even in San Antonio, so what was the point in this kid dress up like it was Mexico-Day?
The kid was interviewed on the local news in SA and he loves and performs Mariachi music thus the attire. SA also has square dancers who dress up in those gingham outfits and polka musicians who dress in German attire as an SA resident it's a melting pot and a little of everything.

Last edited by BillyH; 06-13-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,677,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Disrespectful to whom?? The USA?

Wearing Mariachi outfits is not anti-American
Well when singing the National Anthem it is. The National Anthem is sacred, and dressing like that for the Anthem is disrespectful. I'm sure others feel the same.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,544,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well when singing the National Anthem it is. The National Anthem is sacred, and dressing like that for the Anthem is disrespectful. I'm sure others feel the same.
How is it disrespectful, exactly? Please elaborate. It's not like the boy draped himself in the Mexican flag while he sung .

On the other hand, it's completey fine for men in kilts to sing the anthem:

http://www.threemeninkilts.com/fr_sightings.cfm

Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,677,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
How is it disrespectful, exactly? Please elaborate. It's not like the boy draped himself in the Mexican flag while he sung .

On the other hand, it's completey fine for men in kilts to sing the anthem:

Three Men in Kilts - Sightings
When singing the National Anthem one must be properly dressed, and must be dressed neutral. The anthem is sacred. If one is dressed in Mariachi outfit, I feel they are making fun of the United States.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,953,569 times
Quote:
I don't feel the same way as you, I think you aren't capable of comprehending the history behind the young man's choice.

I don't care if you wear a kimono while singing the anthem, if you are of Japanese descent and that culture has become part of the American fabric there is no disrespect to show your pride in where you came from.

The culture and people that that young boy displayed were actually present on this continent prior to the formation of this nation and there is no way I would suggest that as an American, he must ignore that part of his heritage.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,178 times
Quote:
No, the rest of us could give two hoots because IT DOESN'T MATTER!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:16 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,278,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

He wore it because he ALWAYS wears such clothing when he sings - and in fact, he's KNOWN for being a Mariachi singer and dresses accordingly. That IS his profession - he is a Mariachi singer. He's NOT making a "political statement", it's JUST the style of singing he does. It's what he's known for and he dresses for the style of singing he does. It's like a country singer dressing like a cowboy. That's it.

Ken

Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,284,397 times
Not surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.