Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

There is a huge swath of America without meaningful, marketable skills, and WM, as the largest employer, offers them a lifeline.
There has always been a huge swath of America without meaningful, marketable skills. After WW2, most returned to low/no skill factory jobs. Given the lack of global competition, at the time, unions peaked.

Unions and government lifted the masses out of poverty into the low rungs of middle class.

Beginning in the 60's, global competition caused the steel mills to begin massive lay-offs and outsource production to other parts of the globe. Other manufacturing sectors followed.

Then came technology which has and will continue to eliminate low/no skill jobs.

What remains is retail and restaurants, jobs that cannot be outsourced or completely eliminated.

Manufacturing is making a comeback but it's no longer your daddy's factory. Substantially fewer people are needed and it's all about technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
No pushing necessary. Millions of people go there because the prices are lower and they can usually find what they want. If you had enough bad experiences to turn you off to them, clearly your case is unusual.

It's always a hoot to see people trying to pretend Wal-Mart is "oppressive" when everything that goes on there (for customers and employees alike) is as voluntary as any other store or employer.

No wonder it never changes. Nimrods keep whining about nonexistent "problems", or at best the wrong problem.
But you don't acknowledge the truth, that the workers are subsidized by food stamps, Section 8 and free daycare. All the things you hate.

Walmart would go belly up if not for this huge, Government subsidized workforce.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why does anyone shop there? By buying products in Wal Mart, you are condoning thier employment practices. Shop somewhere else.
Low prices and the convenience of getting all your shopping done at 1 location.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:47 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I refuse to use them. And I stopped going to Home Depot when they went to all self-service.
I had no idea they did that! I am lucky enough to live in a town that still has an old-fashioned, family-owned hardware store. Remember them, the kind where people will actually spend time with you and actually have knowledge of tools and hardware?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I refuse to use the self-checkout lanes and everyone else should too.

Just because a business wants to throw its employees out on the street doesn't mean we need to participate.

FTR, unionized Kroger also has these self-checkout lanes.

What are you bit*hing about, you got your guy in office, while more people get thrown on the street Obama is globe trotting at tax payer expense. Isn't that worth it?

Maybe you should appreciate employers instead of voting to raise taxes on them. It's going to get worse and you did it to yourselves. But you didn't care of course you think money falls out of the sky into your bank account.

That will teach you for voting for revenge.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Low prices and the convenience of getting all your shopping done at 1 location.
I'm not so sure that they are convenient. As far as low prices go, overall other places can and do match them. Of course, in smaller towns they may be the only store around so you really have no choice.

I will go to WalMart every 3-4 months but generally I find the place so depressing that I'd rather go elsewhere. Its just not a pleasant experience for me.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I had no idea they did that! I am lucky enough to live in a town that still has an old-fashioned, family-owned hardware store. Remember them, the kind where people will actually spend time with you and actually have knowledge of tools and hardware?
Lets hope they can survive Obama. He said he didn't want to tax all businesses out of business. Tax increases and Obamacare may put alot of them out of business.

Obama: 'We Don't Want to Tax All Businesses Out of Business' | CNS News

Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
A buck a pop for my 10 YOs underware today. WM keeps competative pressure on prices and as a consumer I like that. I buy groceries there too although I go to the butcher and farmers market for certain things depending on the season or occasion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies