Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Millenial Generation Help Improve the US?
Yes, they will help society grow in a positive way. 51 35.66%
No, they will not contribute as much as other generations. 65 45.45%
They will have minimal impact. 27 18.88%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Prove it. When it comes to diversity of opinion and ideas, the millenial generation is the least tolerant. They prefer to suppress people who have opinions with which they disagree.
I don't see ANY person in Generation Y telling someone they can't be conservative, or Christian, or any other path that they may wish to follow. All we say is don't legislate from it and don't force it on us. Do you have any examples for your claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Get a job.
I have a full time job, thank you. I am also in school and have to spend quite a few hours after work indulged in my studies.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Awesome!

They won't own pickup trucks because they're "bad for the environment".

Imagine the resources that will go unused because these fools will base things upon their environmental impact rather than their usefulness.

I'm not for dirty air and dirty water....there are ways of using nonpolluting fossil fuels in a responsible manner.

Such fools.
So you don't care about this Earth that we inhabit? I would like for the world to remain habitable for future generations thank you very much!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What is hardship to your generation was not even the norm for previous generations.

Yours is the first generation where every child over age 5 has an iPod, his own cell phone, too much food, more meals eaten out than home-cooked, airconditioned house, a car given to him by age 16 but still thinks he's seen hardship.

My grandfather's terrible economy meant soup lines and finding jobs in another state, no new shoes for years, newspapers sewn into the coat lining to block cold wind. My terrible economy meant working my way through college, eating ramen noodles not spending $8 on a restaurant meal, not having air conditioning, no cell phone, no $600 video game player with all the latest $60 games.
I paid for my car at 16, as did my brother, as did all my cousins when they purchased their first car.

And I also worked through college and ate ramon noodles (well, not so much that. I was and still am a very cost efficient eater though. Lots of starch that will feed me for days go into my meals).

And I live in Florida. Don't judge people who live south of the Appalachians for using AC. We would die without it.

Why do you elderly people always rip on cell phones? Do you have any idea how crucial these are to the world today? Cell phones aren't little gadgets that we play angry birds on. I can't even begin to go into detail about the number of times my cell phone saved me from a dire situation. My cell phone might be the best monthly investment that I make.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
What is hardship to your generation was not even the norm for previous generations.

Yours is the first generation where every child over age 5 has an iPod, his own cell phone, too much food, more meals eaten out than home-cooked, airconditioned house, a car given to him by age 16 but still thinks he's seen hardship.

My grandfather's terrible economy meant soup lines and finding jobs in another state, no new shoes for years, newspapers sewn into the coat lining to block cold wind. My terrible economy meant working my way through college, eating ramen noodles not spending $8 on a restaurant meal, not having air conditioning, no cell phone, no $600 video game player with all the latest $60 games.
Malamute, you can play the "my generation and my parents' and my grand parents' generation had it hard because there were no TVs, iPods, etc." game all you want, but let's face facts here. The last 4 generations had never had life easier than the generation born during the Industrial Revolution working 80+ hour weeks with no kind of job protection or regulation, at all. So before you go on that spiel, remember that the numerous generations before you probably didn't even have indoor plumbing, and definitely didn't have it if you go back far enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I paid for my car at 16, as did my brother, as did all my cousins when they purchased their first car.

And I also worked through college and ate ramon noodles (well, not so much that. I was and still am a very cost efficient eater though. Lots of starch that will feed me for days go into my meals).

And I live in Florida. Don't judge people who live south of the Appalachians for using AC. We would die without it.

Why do you elderly people always rip on cell phones? Do you have any idea how crucial these are to the world today? Cell phones aren't little gadgets that we play angry birds on. I can't even begin to go into detail about the number of times my cell phone saved me from a dire situation. My cell phone might be the best monthly investment that I make.
To be fair, if you're gonna die without A/C in Florida, then you need to grow (or rather shed) some skin. There's millions of people south of you that live in hotter climates and don't use A/C at all

Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Malamute, you can play the "my generation and my parents' and my grand parents' generation had it hard because there were no TVs, iPods, etc." game all you want, but let's face facts here. The last 4 generations had never had life easier than the generation born during the Industrial Revolution working 80+ hour weeks with no kind of job protection or regulation, at all. So before you go on that spiel, remember that the numerous generations before you probably didn't even have indoor plumbing, and definitely didn't have it if you go back far enough

To be fair, if you're gonna die without A/C in Florida, then you need to grow (or rather shed) some skin. There's millions of people south of you that live in hotter climates and don't use A/C at all

I grew up in SO Miami in the 60s and 70s W/out AC. Some of the best lessons I ever learned was sucking it up outdoors doing manual labor. You learn to dig deep and persevere

Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
I don't see ANY person in Generation Y telling someone they can't be conservative, or Christian, or any other path that they may wish to follow. All we say is don't legislate from it and don't force it on us. Do you have any examples for your claim?
This is arguably the most divided this nation has been since the Civil War. At least that was the opinion of two separate professors I had in two separate classes. I'm not sure what the politics of the whit guy's was but I'm pretty sure from a number of statements made by the one that was black that he was liberal. Both of them were Baby Boomers and came up through the U.S. Civil Rights era and both thought the United States was more divided than then. Both also said no nation can stay divided long terms like this and remain on top. Either a nation unifies or it collapses.

The problem with the youth is they have no memory of what was before because they weren't around "before."

The term "progress" out be thought of like rightward and leftward shifts in economies. Like being in the red or black financially. You can progress in any direction.

My feeling is that the United States has had its time. I don't expect it to decline into a "third world nation." I think it will exist as a Britain or France. Which is not bad but good. And I expect a lot of losses of freedom and morally corrupt people that need cameras and increased police to watch over them. I'm some what discouraged that cameras are being placed up all over the City of Milwaukee. The police even have sensors planted in high crime areas, connected to GPS, that triangulate the sound of gun fire and send squad units to said locations.

I heard Canadians say that "freedom" to them is being able to live with your doors unlocked. This has not been a concept of freedom in American cities even before my birth. However, the watchful eye of the government is far more intense now than when I was a child. And while my generation (Gen X) was bad, the generations after ours have almost zero respect for anyone or anything. Well, not all of them, but an incredible many.

I almost feel sad for the younger generations as crime and violence and community worry over these things have gotten so bad over the years that they don't have the great fun things we had as young kids. Eg., outdoor block parties all over city; every Friday and Saturday night house parties you walk to and pay a $1 to get into with a DJ spinning records.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
The reason I don't think that's really true is the big issue of bullying that exists today and the very high number of suicides that are supposedly the result of bullying at school.

Back when I went to school, no one committed suicide at my school, there was some bullying but not to the point of making someone go home and kill themself.

Also we never heard of things like Colombine where a couple kids wanted to kill everyone at the school. About the worst thing was some mild fist fights.
Again, if anything the Colombine shooting was done by late Gen/early millennials. The direct year of the begining of the millennials (and gen Z) are still yet to be set in stone the way the boomers are. There were QUITE a few shootings before the millennials. List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Besides V Tech, Colombine and Sandy Hook, most shooting averages around 3/4 people. I think the thing is, we have seen the media coverage accelerate the amount of shootings just look at how many shootings happened in the post CNN/FNC/MSNBC era in 1997.

I wouldn't be blaming millennials exclusively but gun violence has always been around. Though there is much more millennial deals than pre-millennial school shooting deaths. Though, this could tie in the Brady Bill being discontinued as well...

Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
So you don't care about this Earth that we inhabit? I would like for the world to remain habitable for future generations thank you very much!
Obviously the Boomers cared more than you ever will.... they gave us the environmental movement...... you know the Rachael Carson and "Silent Spring" book thing....

Dude you lost this whole argument long ago.... and yet you still continue to embarrass yourself...... proof that some in gen y are not very bright

Old 06-17-2013, 04:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:

That's just it -- your generation actually views luxuries as necessities. Cell phones are not a necessity, all that money being spent on unlimited text, talk and data is just wasted money, after it's spent you have nothing to show for it.

Air conditioning is a luxury, I live in the SW desert where it reaches 100 and do just fine without it.

I think your generation has grown up pretty soft, I'll admit mine has also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies