Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
For the life of me, I just have never gotten this outrage about welfare. I remember in high school, I took a speech and debate class and one of the first debates I had because this was back in the 1990's was about welfare. I actually had to do some research on the subject and not just go by my gut.

What I found was these families were really poor. The moms didn't have a bunch of children as was the stereotype. Most of the families were off of welfare within 5 years. It didn't create dependency. The families that were on welfare long term had other issues with drugs, or violence or mental health issues, that welfare alone couldn't address, but that wasn't an indictment of welfare only that some families needed welfare in addition to other aid.

The amount of money they received was very little. And they had to jump through embarrassing hoops to receive that paltry sum of money.
Also, the vast overwhelming majority of parents had worked previously before receiving welfare and the vast overwhelming majority worked after.

I remember thinking of all the ways our government spends money on behalf of society, helping moms take care of their children is one of the best uses of public money.
You nailed it. People focus on the stereotype and make assumptions about all people receiving some form of welfare and/or tax benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Because the government took over.

And, as usual, ruined everything.

Yes, there were government-funded orphanages back then, but most were private.
The charities got out of that business a long, long time ago.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why do you think that "orphanages" no longer exist in the U.S... here's a hint, wide spread abuse and neglect. Unlike the orphanages of the past today the cost to properly care of many abandoned and abused children cost as much as $30,000 per year far more than it cost to pay for a single child on "welfare". And that doesn't include the 400,000 already in the an overburdened foster care system. So your brilliant idea is to remove children because of some set policy on benefit levels/child regardless of what is the actual best interest of the child. Brilliant I tell you , simply brilliant.
Once upon a time, beating a child was considered normal.
Once upon a time, sexual abuse of a child was ignored.

Foster care parents receive more money than a welfare mother.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No reason for welfare mothers to have an 18 year or longer maternity leave, if working women get 3 months leave then that's all the welfare mothers should get. If the parents refuse to provide financial support for their children, then the children are better off in an orphanage.

There is absolutely no good reason for the government to continue encouraging irresponsible breeding, no group of women should be paid to give birth.

It's common for one welfare mother to be employed by the state to provide child care for another welfare mother.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
parent can see the kid at the orphanage, or come up with her own money for it to be moved back in with her.

otherwise, it's contraception time, what is so hard about that?
I can tell by your use of the word 'it' what high esteem you hold for children.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Who is going to pay for these vision of Bing Crosby "orphanage"?
That costs multiples of the increased benefit the mother would get.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Seriously. Why do the dads always get a pass?

Every time I hear this tired BS about the "lazy, good-for-nothing trailer trash meth heads on assistance" people are usually going off on the "worthless mothers" (exactly like this thread.) Hell, even the term "Welfare Queen" has been synonymous with the public assistance stereotype since Reagan made her up decades ago.

Shameful. Misogynistic, hypocritical baseless garbage.
Bothers me too, thus why I choose to suggest castration of baby dads who can't or won't support their children. Of course I am not serious.

Providing such men with financial incentive to choose sterilization will appeal to some of the men.

I do not think many here comprehend that having babies creates a purpose for some people that might not otherwise exist. It's not all about the money.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Uhmmmm maybe we should put every child in foster care, whos parents put there children in public school. Intell they can afford to hire there own teachers etc. No free rides. Oh hey speaking of free rides. Why should i have to pay for your police, fire protection? When i don't use it? Or pay for roads i don't use, or pay for government officals i didn't vote for? Geee i should be getting alot of tax money bk.
Your argument is lame and do you pay? People are sick of paying for people who make babies and expect tax payers to pay for their play. I'm with OP, something needs done.

If these types were not on welfare in the first place and worked like the rest of us then they wouldn't have so much time on their hands. It's sad that these people can't think about anything but themselves and certainly don't think about the kids they are bringing into this world. They are the most selfish of all.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Once upon a time, beating a child was considered normal.
Once upon a time, sexual abuse of a child was ignored.

Foster care parents receive more money than a welfare mother.
that is for sure. We were foster parents for many years. No, not for the money, by any means, it is hard work, challenging but satisfying most of the time. That being said, yes, the payments are more than what a welfare mom would get per child. of course remember, welfare families get more than just welfare checks. They get funds in many other ways.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I can tell by your use of the word 'it' what high esteem you hold for children.
and don't forget he called them brats earlier as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies