Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Exactly. If I own a house, it's completely up to me who I allow inside. Same goes with my car. A business is just as much personal property as a home or car.
Well, in some states you might find youself in court if you fired all your blue-eyed workers for no reason other than their blue-eyedness.

I'd also be curious how well your business would do once it hit the media that you fired people because they had blue eyes and people started protesting outside your business, etc.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Well, in some states you might find youself in court if you fired all your blue-eyed workers for no reason other than their blue-eyedness.

I'd also be curious how well your business would do once it hit the media that you fired people because they had blue eyes and people started protesting outside your business, etc.
An individual should be able to hire and fire anyone he wants to. It is his business. If he goes too far, the community will take care of it as you wrote.
Here is where I disagree with people that support laws forcing people to live their lives, run their businesses, etc. as the government wants.
In the past people in the communities took care of social issues without the government interference. This has resulted in the government controlling peoples lives more and more because numerous people keep demanding the government control peoples lives. The government is happy to help because they know they can increase their control of the population. The more control the less freedom of choosing things in our lives. Take care.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 PM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Look, the business owner HIRED them so obviously they did their due diligence and thought they were the best person for the job. Unless they are doing a lousy job they do not get to fire them just because they find out they prefer to drink coke instead of pepsi.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I believe an employer should be able to fire an employee for any reason they want to. If the employee does not like this then they are free to go out and start their own business. This used to be the way it was. I am not sure when it changed but it sounds like communism to me to be telling anyone whom they can and cannot hire and whom they can and cannot fire. If it is your company; it should be your choice.
More like Christian Knights than communism. At least partly on why things changed.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Marco Rubio Doesn't Mind If You Get Fired for Being Gay or If Your Gay Spouse Can't Get Citizenship - Miami - News - Riptide 2.0

This is my make it or break it issue when voting. Even if a candidate wasn't supportive of gay marriage, I would consider voting for them based upon other criteria. That he believes openly gay people should be able to be fired simply for being out completely lost him any chance of me (or my family) voting for him. I bet he wouldn't support the firing of an employee for 'flaunting' their heterosexuality (i.e. showing a picture of their partner on their desk). Not even the Cuban American community to which he belongs would support such a discriminating thing.

Despicable.

I've let people go for not taking a bath and stunk all the time.
I've let people go for the POS vehicle they drove and left puddles of oil everywhere they stopped.
I've let people go for being a drunk
Can't say I've ever let anyone go, because they were gay. I guess because they never advertised it.
The drunk guy may have been gay?

Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
You have acne, you're FIRED! Now go start your own acne fighting business so others don't get fired for having acne.
Stupidity....

What if you are working for a modeling agency. Who wants to hire a model with pimples other than to do an anti acne commercial.

It's called "AT WILL" employment. You can be fired at will, and you can quit at will. While I don't support simply firing someone for being gay, it IS someone else's business, and if they don't feel comfortable with a homosexual employee, then they should have the right to terminate them.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Marco Rubio Doesn't Mind If You Get Fired for Being Gay or If Your Gay Spouse Can't Get Citizenship - Miami - News - Riptide 2.0

This is my make it or break it issue when voting. Even if a candidate wasn't supportive of gay marriage, I would consider voting for them based upon other criteria. That he believes openly gay people should be able to be fired simply for being out completely lost him any chance of me (or my family) voting for him. I bet he wouldn't support the firing of an employee for 'flaunting' their heterosexuality (i.e. showing a picture of their partner on their desk). Not even the Cuban American community to which he belongs would support such a discriminating thing.

Despicable.
I agree with him.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:

Despicable.
Marco Rubio "believes" whatever he thinks the audience he is in front of wants to hear. Nobody knows what his real opinions are.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:26 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
So, if an employer decides they don't want anyone with blue eyes working for them, they should be able to fire all the blue-eyed workers?

What about left-handed people?

Asian people who are taller than 5'10"?

Any reason at all, with no repercussions?
Yes

Yes

Yes
and
Yes

The problem with government making laws preventing businesses from firing people is that it prevents businesses from hiring those very people.

A business will rarely fire an employee that they see as valuable.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Someone called me a liar and that I would never vote for a Republican. Not true! Republicans need to get to the 21st century on human rights though.
So you are pretty much saying you wouldn't vote for a Republican; what else are you saying, when you make the comment about getting in the 21st century? BTW no one called you a liar, the comment was, simply: it wouldn't make any difference who the candidate was you wouldn't vote for a Republican. That is not calling you a liar.

As for his remarks about immigration and gay couples, I have to agree with him on that one. Gay marriage still isn't legal in our country, and I think that is what he is referring to when he says he can not support immigration for gay couples, or at least that is how I understand it.

As for firing someone because he/she is gay, I believe that is totally discriminatory. You can choose who you hire, but you can not fire someone without cause and in most situations, being homosexual is not cause unless it is damaging the company in some way. What way, I can't imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies