Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

I worked for a union many years ago... Stupidest people on the face of the earth.. There is no productivity and no pride in workmanship. They have some of the most ignorant and backward rules ever made and the union officials get extremely wealthy off the backs of the working class. There was a time when unions were not only good, but necessary. That day is gone. The unions today are usually in bed with management and do little to advance the well being of their membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
60 years of never b4 seen prosperity has made the american people feel they dont need unions. this too will pass.
the reason that the film "grapes of wrath" is not a reality for white americans is bek of unions and nothing else. this however i fear will soon change.

You would think we'd learn from the past especially those who consider themselves people with traditional values mainly because all they live and breath and stand for is the past would know well of it.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:38 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I worked for a union many years ago... Stupidest people on the face of the earth.. There is no productivity and no pride in workmanship. They have some of the most ignorant and backward rules ever made and the union officials get extremely wealthy off the backs of the working class. There was a time when unions were not only good, but necessary. That day is gone. The unions today are usually in bed with management and do little to advance the well being of their membership.
You just insulted yourself.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
No magical powers, just comprehension skills
the reason i am here typing and not a walmart greeter is unions.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post

Was this union in texas? And was rick perry the head of the union ? There are bad unions as well as bad union members/leaders unions are really like companies you have your good and your bad. So you ended up letting your bad time with them sour your view on the rest ? How nice

Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
If unions were helpful, Transplant auto mfg would be based in the same states the D3 originated in. The transplants were too wise to believe that nonsense, and knew the UAW would sink the D3. It exists today only because the taxpayer saved the corpse a few years ago, but even now, GM's market cap is tens of millions less than the underfunding of its pensions. There will never be a second bailout, and when a new recession hits, and US sales fall by a few million, the D3 corpses will sink again.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
1)As to the bolded part unions were and still are a needed thing in this day and age when we have to big too fail companies, where much of congress is bought and paid for by multi-national corporations do you really think for one second you would have ANY power against a company like say Goldman sachs ?

2) The union is what made that factory job where your making good money actually exist, before unions when you worked in a factory it was like how the factories in china/india were dirty, dark, and incredibly dangerous. To think unions are not a needed thing or are "EVIL" is rather insane and shows how little regard you and people like yourselves have for the american people and workers in general. I suppose though if you don't mind working for a company who makes you pay for your own protective equipment than perhaps you'll be fine.

3) Do you work 8hr days ? Do you work Mon. - Friday ? IF you work weekends do you get paid for it ? Do you have any time off ? Any vacation days ? If your boss humiliates you at work do you have anywhere or anyone to help you ? If your a female and your boss touches you is there any recourse you can take especially considering a boss who does that is more than likely to retaliate ? Unions have helped you your just to seflish to notice.

4) Bull you say your not anti-union per say which is really just a way of saying yeah I don't like unions I'm just too much of a coward to say I don't like them. I don't nor does anyone care if you don't feel you owe the unions anything the fact is the reason why we are not working in sweatshops under horrible conditions is because of unions. The reason your boss can't beat you or have his VP crack your skull open in the street is because unions fought for the rights of the american working man/woman. Why would you give the union any of your wages if your not in the union ???? The reason why union workers tend to cost more is because they go to school and at the same time get on the job training so that by the end of 5 years they can become a union journeyman and a college graduate as well. When you pay a high price for one of them your paying for the experience they have. You wouldn't just hire some mexican off the street to wire your house would you ?

5) I have no clue what did they do ? Do you generally blame a union if a company goes out of business ? What about Hostess who's to blame for that ?
Coward? No a coward is someone who hides among a mass of others and shouts. A coward is someone who needs a crowd to protect them. A coward is someone who clings to the accomplishments of others and takes credit for himself.
Unions of yesteryear accomplished these things you sing about. What have the Unions of today turned out? Jimmy Hoffa and Mafia partnerships?
You can claim that your Union has helped me and I can deny it. We are paid better than our Union counterparts and we out produce them with less. Maybe less time reliving the past and more focus on the now would help.
The Union at Unilever MD priced their people out of work. My best friend from the service is wondering why he ever voted to go Union.
No argument about UNion Trades men like Electricians or Carpenters. Flat out they are the best. The same can not be said about a Union factory worker. I have had the pleasure of touring and working with my Union Counterparts in Greenbay. The only thing impressive about them is their ability to ignore a down line.
Union members have never cracked a skull? Never committed violence against those they oppose? Never?
History says otherwise.
I work 12.5 hour shifts 15 day weeks. I get lots off vacation and not a day of it negotiated by any UNION.
4 times Unions have tried to get in and 4 times they were sent packing. Why? Because they actually admitted that they could not deliver anything more than we already have.
I ask again why would I want a Union shop where I work when we already have more than our Union counterparts do?
You are fairly loose about calling people cowards. On the internet anyway.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Was this union in texas? And was rick perry the head of the union ? There are bad unions as well as bad union members/leaders unions are really like companies you have your good and your bad. So you ended up letting your bad time with them sour your view on the rest ? How nice
No, it was in South Carolina as a matter of fact and I have had exposure to unions my entire career. I haven't seen a good union in years. I have seen unions that basically tell their members what they want to hear, but I haven't seen a good union. I own my own business that deals with these people on a day to day basis... Long shoremen, Teamsters, UAW, SEIU, they are ALL crap today.. Nice try of baiting with the Rick Perry and Texas comments though...

Old 06-15-2013, 06:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
no companies move overseas because even if they stayed in the u.s. how could you compete with paying someone $1 a week as opposed to even paying minimum wage in the states.

Yep move to a RTW state and have at it
I live in a RTW state. Never came close to being fired. I have seen lazy and worthless people fired though.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times
Quote:
You would think we'd learn from the past especially those who consider themselves people with traditional values mainly because all they live and breath and stand for is the past would know well of it.
Do you not realize that you just described how non-union people feel about unions today?

They had a purpose in the PAST, but due to gov't regulations are not needed today. What we perceive is unions milking companies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies