Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 03:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Such utterly absurd statements in the above. For starters bringing up the Lion's Club is a vast fail. They don't hand you out paychecks when you go to their meetings. Some non-unionized employees can may make you work under terms you can't agree with, such as working on weekends, Sundays, or show up for work at 2 am. Still you don't have to work at such places, if you don't want to.

It would help, if you looked up the meaning of the word union. If you don't want to be in one, keep staying the hell out of one.
Lions Club is an organization that benefits everyone but does not force non-members to pay dues. It is relevant. And since when did unions start passing out paychecks anyway???? lols. Employers pass out paychecks, not unions.

No one can make me work under conditions I don't agree with. Period. Unless maybe I'm in a communist country or something.

And you keep saying I don't have to work there. Why should a union deny me the right to work somewhere if I don't wanna pay dues to a club I don't belong to? You can't give a legit answer so you say "don't work there" Why do you get to decide where someone else works? I never heard a non-union person tell a union person where to work. What makes unions so special they can decide who works where? If unions were about workers like they claim they would have no problem with people working where they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You just wasted a lot of time while making yourself look silly by going back to the past and confusing cause with correlation. By the way, governments are notorious for putting out propaganda. I'd rather gather information from an independent research institution.

Once again, you're a freeloader, if you don't pay money to a union as a worker in a unionized workplace. If you're too helplessly blind and shut minded to see that as a fact, then I can only take pity out on you as a human being. Thank goodness, as a non-member, the union would be under no obligation to treat you to a meal at their meetings. If you don't like that, then don't ever get a job with a unionized workforce in the first place.
Don't agree with the data and it is 'propaganda". lols.

A free loader is a person that doesn't want to pay money to an organization they do not belong to and derive no benefit from? But the organization forcing non-members to either pay them or deny employment are not freeloaders? lols.

Call names and ignore data when someone challenges the unions and offer no proof that I'm wrong. lols. Typical and predictable.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Well the free loader theory works this way.

1. Unions want non-union members to have the same pay as union workers or else it will be a huge incentice for the employer to start replacing them.
2. Because the non-union workers are benefiting from the union by getting higher wage, then unions believe non-union workers are free loading.

But its unions who want non-union workers to have the same pay. Hence, they are not freeloading. It would only be free loading if non-union workers required the union to represent them. In fact the free loaders are the union who want union dues from employees they do not represent.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Except that we have higher wages, longer hours, but higher wages.
But working longer hours to make the same income as someone working fewer hours is not exactly a win.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
No doubt, it's like we conveniently forget that we are the world's 1%.
by

That's because of the high level of wealth in the very top 1 % of the population.

The middle-class of America ranks much lower by global standards.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:50 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But working longer hours to make the same income as someone working fewer hours is not exactly a win.
But you are not. You are working longer hours and earning a higher income.

Just take a look at the statistics I gave about France. Sure, they only work 35 hours a day, but they are not allowed to work more. When you are struggelig with money, then a slight increase in your salary is very helpful.

Quote:
by

That's because of the high level of wealth in the very top 1 % of the population.

No, you don't. The middle class in America is doing much better than the middle class most places in the world.

If you want proof, type in the middle class income in here http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Old 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Our income is higher. People that choose a long vacation time will have a lower income than someone that does not. Luxembourg and the UAE have higher incomes than us, but we are higher than everybody else.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Except US do not have lower wages than many other developing nations. My homecountry is now one the richest countries in the world. In 2005 we were still pretty rich, but when I lived in America for a year I was really suprised of their high standard of living.

Americans have much cheaper housing. To get a deattached house in my city will cost you 1 million dollars. In America you can get a house in America for 1/5 of that. Utilities are cheaper, food is cheaper and you have more choice, and all shopping is cheaper too. Yes, health care is expensive, but many get that covered by their employer. My host family were lower middle income. I still remember how much useless stuff they bought, which they used one time and then never again. Of course after the crisis I am sure things got more expensive, but the standard of living has been very high in America for a long time.

When you start complaining about the low wages in the US, then it just sounds greedy.
Yes, the cost of living is lower in the U.S. than in many other countries.

Nevertheless for an extremely wealthy country, there are many poor people. The official poverty line is $11,484 for an individual or $23,021 for a family of four.

Of the 46 million Americans who live below the poverty line, 10.6 million of those are the working poor.

And more and more American workers are falling below that line, as the following graph shows:

Here’s why 10.4 million American workers are still in poverty

Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
by

Try traveling the globe before you make such blanket statements.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Your argument is upside-down.

Unions have the effect of improving benefits and increasing wages, for everyone, not just union members, whether within an industry, within a geographic region, or for an entire nation.

Not having unions is one of the reasons the American worker has worse benefits and lower wages than in many other developed nations of the world.

Wrong, because you are looking at the information incorrectly. You are obsessing with wages, rather than looking at buying power, or availability of goods and services.

Look at it like this. Lets pretend there were 100 workers in various fields, all producing goods and services for production. But each of these 100 workers was compensated in varying amounts. And the amount of compensation of each individual affected his ability to purchase the goods and services produced by all of the 100 workers.

Imagine the total amount of goods and services as a one-hundred piece pie. And each person would get a certain size piece of that pie.

Now in order to grow the size of the pie, some or all of the 100 workers have to either work longer hours or be more efficient at his job.

Now, lets make sure we understand something very quickly. Wages have absolutely nothing to do with buying power. Whether or not we are making $10 an hour, $100 an hour, $1 an hour, or 10 cents an hour, doesn't matter. All that matters is how much you can purchase with your wages. And how much you can purchase with your wages is related to the availability of goods and services. Or, supply and demand.

Now, in order for Unions to benefit the country economically. They would have to accomplish one of two goals. Either they would need to be more productive, thus producing a larger pie. Or they would have to ensure that the pie is split up in a more equitable manner. And please don't even discuss "benefits", because benefits are really just a form of compensation. Those benefits can only come from the provision of goods and services by the workers.

Now the question is, are unions more productive/more efficient than non-union workers? I would be surprised if anyone thinks a union worker, works harder, or longer, or better, than a non-union worker. Thus, unions do not increase the size of the overall pie.

So do unions make sure there is a more equitable share of the pie going to all 100 workers? Or more importantly, what would the pie look like in the presence and absence of the unions?

Well, it is certainly true that unions get a larger piece of the pie, because of their ability to demand higher wages. But we must keep in mind, if the unions aren't growing the pie to offset their increased ability to consume it, then they must necessarily be taking part of the pie away from others. Now the question is, whose piece of the pie are the unions taking away?

The unions would like you to believe that their larger share of the pie comes at the expense of the rich. And that they either don't touch the piece of the pie of the poor at all, or that they somehow even take from the rich to not only grow their own piece of the pie, but also grow the piece of the pie of the poor as well.

Now the question is, whose piece of the pie are they taking away?

Well, lets pretend for a moment there were no unions. How would that affect the rich and the poor? Well, its unlikely that in the presence of competitive capitalism that the rich would be any richer than they already are. And really, in the absence of "corporatism", and "crony capitalism", where favored businesses get preferential treatment, subsidies, credits, contracts, etc, you should actually see a decline in the relative gap between the very rich and everyone else.

On the other hand, in the absence of unions, the current union workers would probably lose a considerable amount of their current pay. And in their eyes, they will be considerably worse off. And they are basically correct. But, regardless of if they lose pay, their productivity should be unaffected, or even increase. And thus, their piece of the pie will be smaller, but other people will necessarily have a larger piece of the pie. And if the rich are unlikely to get larger pieces of the pie. That necessarily means the poor will have to have larger pieces of the pie.

Which really make sense if you consider that many union and non-union workers do exactly the same job, and the only difference is compensation. My friend originally worked as a machinist making about $25k a year. Now he works for the government doing the same job, makes about $60k a year. And he actually works less hours, and has a less demanding job. I think it is pretty clear that union workers benefit at the expense of non-union workers, especially the working poor. It really cannot be any other way.

Of course like I said. As an individual looking for employment. Of course I want a union job. Because a union job means I get a larger piece of the economic pie. And its also understandable that others working in the same fields would also want to demand larger pieces of the pie for themselves as well. The problem is that, their larger piece of the pie almost always comes from someone else. And only those who are politically or economically organized can demand higher wages. Basically, large organizations(especially corporations) have enough political power to guarantee themselves special benefits. While small businesses or small organizations don't have the power or influence to get these perks. And because of the higher wages of union shops, their companies tend to be less competitive. Thus is the reason why unions tend to be against things like free trade. They want economic controls, they want tariffs, they want regulations, and they want subsidies, to guarantee themselves the continued benefits they currently have.

The problem is that, unions are in essence the foundation of crony capitalism. They are the cause of corporatism. They are all about special favors for favored businesses. They help to create and perpetuate the abuse, corruption, and waste in the government. The unions themselves have actually become a sort of greedy corporation, which compensates itself for well. And must constantly legitimize its existence by constantly demanding more and more and more. Even when there is increasingly less to take(IE recession).

And whats worse is that, most of the unions wouldn't even exist in the absence of the government protecting them. The laws enable the unions to require workers be part of the union just to have a job. Government has consistently come in on the side of unions, refusing for instance to remove or arrest workers in their "sit down" protests, to prevent "scabs" from replacing them. If the government no longer protected the unions. Almost every union in this country would practically disappear overnight. With "scabs" replacing those spoiled union brats.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 06-20-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies