Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The constitution also forbids any person witha title of nobility becoming an officer in the US so he can’t say be a Knightor a Lord and become President. He also must live or reside in the US for 14years before running.
The Constitution does not say that.

Article I, Section 9, Paragraph 8 says:

Quote:
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
If the title of nobility has been granted with the consent of Congress, it's perfectly okay for an "officer of the US" to hold one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 06:31 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Are you saying as a CANADIAN Cruz is not a subject of the crown ? Or are you saying Cruz is not Canadian because he has an American mother ?
I'm saying as an American Cruz is not a subject of the crown. I might raise an eyebrow if he maintained a Canadian passport but the United States is not part of an international treaty that enforces someone to be a subject based on their birthplace.

I don't care how you become American, you aren't involuntarily subject to any other government.

I might read this later: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42097.pdf

But your question is invalid. First you are implying that an American can be subject to the crown because of where they were born. While that is false you're missing the bigger picture. Canadians are not subject to the crown. Only members of the military and government swear any kind of allegiance to the crown and I don't care if you think that makes them a subject or not unless you are alleging that before age 4 Cruz was a member of the military or government.

Canada ? A Constitutional Monarchy

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCo...einCanada.aspx

So, if you want to ask your question in general, I'd say "who knows" and "who cares" because it's too hypothetical.

If you want to ask it in regards to Cruz, then I standbuy my allegation that it's a false question (and premise) because Cruz is American and Canadians are not subject to the crown.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The Constitution does not say that.

Article I, Section 9, Paragraph 8 says:

If the title of nobility has been granted with the consent of Congress, it's perfectly okay for an "officer of the US" to hold one.
And the key too is what you are replying to is regarding who can become president. That isn't mentioned in the Constitution. It says the person already in office cannot accept the title without the consent of Congress. It doesn't mean they cannot hold one before they are in office.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
a natural born citizen, but not a native born citizen.
Where is this distinction coming from? The term natural born and native born appear to be freely interchangeable from the drafting of the Constitution thru the debates on the adoption of the 14th Amendment. It is also a distinction that I've never heard you draw before. So, help me out here.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Ted Cruz is a interesting bloke, born in Canada so a Canadian subject of the Queen of Canada. So does Cruz have the right to become US president when he was born in and owes his loyalty to her majesty and Canada ?
His mother was American, so I guess he would qualify

Old 06-16-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
His mother was American, so I guess he would qualify
This is a good thread to read backwards. Here's the real question:

Ted Cruz is a interesting bloke, born in Canada [] So does Cruz have the right to become US president when he was born in [] Canada ?

Your answer is correct though.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

They never, ever include United States Code.
Yeah.

Code, man.

Who needs the Constitution when ya got code?

In the preamble of all "code" are definitions of the terms therein.

That's why code is so much better than the Constitution, where none of the words in it, were defined.

According to you and your friend, the words in the Constitution need to be "devined".

You guys are, like, really spiritual!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Yeah.

Code, man.

In the preamble of all "code" are definitions of the terms therein.

That's why code is so much better than the Constitution, where none of the words in it, were defined.

According to you and your friend, the words in the Constitution need to be "devined".

More lies about me. As far as Supreme Law goes, the federal statutes is no better than the Constitution. They both make up part of the law.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Actually, I'm a card carrying atheist, no spirituality for me thank you very much.

Quote:
Here are a couple of more quotes from the U.S. Constitution that are clear, and unequivocal.

Article VI, Clause 2

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

Which brings us back to:

Article I section 8, clause 18:

The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Do you need a link as well?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Actually, I'm a card carrying atheist, no spirituality for me thank you very much.

Here are a couple of more quotes from the U.S. Constitution that are clear, and unequivocal.

Article VI, Clause 2

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

Which brings us back to:

Article I section 8, clause 18:

The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Do you need a link as well?
So, genius, where's your Natural Born Citizen statute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies