Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You posted it after I asked and then bumped my post as if it had already been there.....that's really odd.

Also, you didn't link to the bill, just the vote and a reuters article....let's see what the whole thing was about. It seems like you are hiding something in your defense of an obviously partisan blog.

Don't feel bad, I'm merely providing equal time to what I've devoted to the birthers around here. lol.
I'm not hiding anything I'm as interested in the answers as you are. I didn't bump your post just for the sake of bumping it, I went back to it to try to direct your attention to the answer once I found one, because I thought it was a fair question.

Here is the link to the amendment Representative Thomas presented about the closure of Guantanamo:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquer...sel=TOC_87394&

ellemint

Last edited by ellemint; 06-20-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
yep; remember when this was considered the last time; no one agree to take them as normal prisoners; so the attempt failed. Even many of their home countries refused them.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
We need GITMO..........we don't need Obamaphones or money blown on green energy companies or lavish vacations for him and his girls or food stamps for people who buy junk food.
No such thing as an Obama phone and you know it.

Free phones have been around for decades. Federal monies are not used to provide them.

Follow the money. It's a windfall for the participating carriers sort of like how it is one can buy junk food with a SNAP card. PepsiCo and all sugar/junk food and corporate farms lobby to continue feeding the masses. But heck, it keeps people employed.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No such thing as an Obama phone and you know it.

Free phones have been around for decades. Federal monies are not used to provide them.
They tax companies to pay for it which is how the federal government pays for anything - taxes. You're ultimately right that taxes are really a use of taxpayer (citizen) money. You may also note that many of the companies pass along the expense to you and me.

Lifeline: Affordable Telephone Service for Income-Eligible Consumers | FCC.gov

Who Pays for the Lifeline Program?

All telecommunications service providers and certain other providers of telecommunications must contribute to the federal USF based on a percentage of their end-user telecommunications revenues. These companies include wireline telephone companies, wireless telephone companies, and certain Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers.

Some consumers may notice a “Universal Service” line item on their telephone bills. This line item appears when a company chooses to recover its USF contributions directly from its customers by billing them this charge.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm not hiding anything I'm as interested in the answers as you are. I didn't bump your post just for the sake of bumping it, I went back to it to try to direct your attention to the answer once I found one, because I thought it was a fair question.

Here is the link to the amendment Representative Thomas presented about the closure of Guantanamo:

Committee Reports - 113th Congress (2013-2014) - House Report 113-108

ellemint
You have to understand my skepticism given that there has been strong bi-partisan support for keeping Guantanamo open since 2008. I linked to the lopsided votes in 2009 and 2010 not to mention the renewal of the 2011 act and so forth.

I'm wondering if this was a Trojan horse amendment never intended to pass but to generate excuses....but I could be wrong.

If you've seen anything explaining the "change of heart" or the politics behind the amendment I'd be interested to hear them but that's a major major change in congressional voting so there has to be a reason.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
They tax companies to pay for it which is how the federal government pays for anything - taxes. You're ultimately right that taxes are really a use of taxpayer (citizen) money. You may also note that many of the companies pass along the expense to you and me.

Lifeline: Affordable Telephone Service for Income-Eligible Consumers | FCC.gov

Who Pays for the Lifeline Program?

All telecommunications service providers and certain other providers of telecommunications must contribute to the federal USF based on a percentage of their end-user telecommunications revenues. These companies include wireline telephone companies, wireless telephone companies, and certain Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers.

Some consumers may notice a “Universal Service” line item on their telephone bills. This line item appears when a company chooses to recover its USF contributions directly from its customers by billing them this charge.
OK, what if most of the recipients of these phones are elderly women living alone, and women with young children, as well as people in disability,? Isn't it a good thing for them to have phones in case of an emergency? I think so.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Quote:
OK, what if most of the recipients of these phones are elderly women living alone, and women with young children, as well as people in disability,? Isn't it a good thing for them to have phones in case of an emergency? I think so.
What if they are? Does that mean the only solution is that the government provides a phone or nothing happens? When did we become so needy? Relatives? Those "I've fallen and I can't get up" things instead of phones? Charities, churches? This phone program has wasted a lot of taxpayer money and been a money maker for some companies. I think that we can do better.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Doesn't he need the support of Congress in order to do that?
Another example of the ignorant left..

If Obama DOESNT SIGN THE SPENDING BILL, then it doesnt become law..

Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
So what you're admitting is that those who relied on social security for their retirement are living alone and in poverty..

Once again, government keeps people impoverished..

Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Don't worry. We're now talking to the Taliban and will exchange their guys in Guantanamo for US soldiers they captured.
Those terrorists will soon be gone from Guantanamo and back in the ME and then we can close it for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies