Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Yes the police were called. Why?

When my rights are ever violated, they better call the Calvary.

We have that right, to protest our rights being taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 PM

90 posts, read 140,863 times
Quote:
Yes the police were called. Why?

Because we now live in a Police State....a new-age paramilitary brigade complete with SS goon enforcers.

Remember;
"War is Peace." G. Orwell

Old 06-16-2013, 05:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
At 14 in every state I am aware of he is a juvenile. I am not aware of any state also that would certify him as a adult in such a charge that is apparently a misdemeanor by the sentence . Only way I know he could be charge as a adult is if in another prior felony case he was certified as a adult. Then he is a certified from then on Likely he brought this forward even to his identity because police and court will not release unless he has previously been certified a adult. If he isn't certified we are getting only one side as police and courts will not discuss as per juvenile law. Also the charge does seem to be wearing a NRA shirt but actions when police where called.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When my rights are ever violated, they better call the Calvary.

We have that right, to protest our rights being taken.
There are limits to both the freedom of speech and to protest but both sides are pretty dumb or have at least made dumb remarks:

14-years old, the 8th grader said: "What they're trying to do is take away my rights, my freedom of speech and my Second Amendment."

Telling him to change his t-shirt is not violating his second amendment

Schools have more authority to regulate speech and protests but those rights do not stop at the school house door.

If he was mouthing off while a cop was trying to do his duty then maybe he should have been suspended. But to have a pee match with an 8th grader to the point of criminal charges is ludicrous.

The t-shirt choice was in poor taste but that doesn't make it illegal.

8th Grader Suspended Over NRA T-Shirt Could Get Jail Time

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
There are limits to both the freedom of speech and to protest but both sides are pretty dumb or have at least made dumb remarks:

14-years old, the 8th grader said: "What they're trying to do is take away my rights, my freedom of speech and my Second Amendment."

Telling him to change his t-shirt is not violating his second amendment

Schools have more authority to regulate speech and protests but those rights do not stop at the school house door.

If he was mouthing off while a cop was trying to do his duty then maybe he should have been suspended. But to have a pee match with an 8th grader to the point of criminal charges is ludicrous.

The t-shirt choice was in poor taste but that doesn't make it illegal.

8th Grader Suspended Over NRA T-Shirt Could Get Jail Time
This article had more details, he disobeyed both the teacher and police officer. He could have simply just turned the t-shirt inside out, arrest seems to be a bit of an overkill, they should have just suspended him and let him remain in the principals office.

Quote:

Marcum, a Logan Middle School eighth-grader, got into some trouble on
Thursday after he had a disagreement with a teacher over his NRA shirt, which
displays a hunting rifle and the NRA logo along with the phrase, “Protect your
right.â€

The teacher told Marcum to turn the shirt inside out or remove it, but Marcum
refused. He was sent to the office, where he once again refused the order. He
was eventually arrested and taken away by Logan City Police.

Logan City Police Chief E.K. Harper told ABCNews.com that Marcum’s “conduct in school almost incited a riot.â€
West Virginia teen suspended, arrested after wearing NRA shirt returns to school in the same shirt - NY Daily News

Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 PM

I wonder if this young boy would have been in trouble if his T-shirt read " I love Obama."

Doubt it. I think y'all can agee, huh?

But what if it said "I dislike Obama." or "Obama is a clown."

Wearing a statement on a T-shirt IS an act of free speech, is it not?

AND the 1st Amendment was written with the purpose of people being able to express "unpopular" opinions. Not so much to express the popular or accepted opinions.

The shirt this kid was wearing was harmless. It wasn't vulgar or violent nor did it suggest anything to do with harming others....in any way.

I am slowly losing hope for the masses of sheople that are living in this dying country called the USA. Bahhh.

"Protect your Rights." What is the h double toothpicks is wrong about that? Pahhhh-lease.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:35 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister k View Post
I wonder if this young boy would have been in trouble should his T-shirt read " I love Obama."

Doubt it. I think y'all can agee.

But what if it said "I dislike Obama." or "Obama is a clown."

Wearing a statement on a T-shirt IS an act of free speech, is it not?

AND the 1st Amendment was written with the purpose of people being able to express "unpopular" opinions. Not so much to express the popular or accepted opinions.
I would expect all the cases you mentioned would have also arrived at the same results. Schools don't need disruptive students, I think they would have also asked him to do the same if her had a pro-abortion T-Shirt, they have dress code standards to avoid issues with problem children and families.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM

He was causing NO disruption until the teachers and oinkers stepped in.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I guess protesting a violation of your first amendment is a crime eh? You do realize the police are public servants and are legally obligated to uphold the constitution?
This has nothing to do with protecting constitutional rights

Quote:
We obtained official court documents from both sides of this case. On one hand, the arresting officer from the Logan City Police Department, James Adkins, claims that when Jared refused to stop talking, that hindered his ability to do his job, hence, the obstruction charge. On the other side, Ben White points out that nowhere in the arresting officer's petition, does it mention Jared ever making any threats or acting in a violent manner.

The kid mouthed off to a cop and did not want to by quiet while the cop was talking to him. This all could have been avoided by simply not wearing the shirt to school or simply removing it when asked.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:54 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
For the most part, I do not trust or respect the thugs called LE, agents of a very corrupt and sick entity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies