Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,724,204 times

Advertisements

Gun owners group thanked by Jared's attorney for their legal defense fund report thusly:

Quote:
The police then issued a gag order against the family and his attorney, preventing them from talking about the case. And as if that wasn’t Orwellian enough, a reporter who tried to contest the gag order found herself being ejected from the courthouse. The reason?
I do not see why one cannot advocate for a position and be accurate in their statements. If you can see the error good for you. If you can't then you never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM

56,874 posts, read 25,807,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The shirt has nothing to do with this accept that is why he has rabid fanbase. The only adults influenced this strongly by a child disobeying a police officer are those that worship

The t-shirt was not against the school's dresscode as Jared and several other children wore the same or similar shirts two days later.

The t-shirt is irrelevant because Jared made it so.

If the boy would have behaved this is how the thread would have went:

1) Teacher tells boy to remove t-shirt.

2) Boy refuses.

3) Teacher marches boy to office.

4) Office tells teacher the t-shirt wasn't against dress code.

5) Parents (well doubtful both) file multi-million dollar lawsuit for malicious violations of child's second amendment right to wear a gun t-shirt.
I am not sure of your steps since that is what basically happened other than the police part.

1) teacher tells boy to turn t-shirt inside-out
2) boy complies
3) end of story other than parent calling office and proceeding to make this a court case.

The T-shirt is relevant because it is a distraction, many schools prohibit attire that is disrupts the education system. I can think of many logos that would fit the dress code but still cause issues, they have no place in the class room.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am not sure of your steps since that is what basically happened other than the police part.

2) boy complies
3) end of story other than parent calling office and proceeding to make this a court case.

The T-shirt is relevant because it is a distraction, many schools prohibit attire that is disrupts the education system. I can think of many logos that would fit the dress code but still cause issues, they have no place in the class room.
I also made a mistake with "accept" versus except. The reports I saw stated that the school had wide latitude to enforce the dress code which may clear the teacher. It appears that the office agreed with the kid but I don't know when. If they agreed right away then why would there be a need for Jared to keep talking? But surely they agreed after he came back from his suspension.

But yes I like your steps accept even if true I don't think it's actionable in court but that won't stop the parents (or maybe it will) and this is one of the smaller American dreams.

The only other thing is if it was a 1st Amendment claim without the NRA. If the shirt would have said stand up for your rights and had a rifle on it but not mention the NRA. I can see how that could be perceived as a threat by saying that the shirt meant that you should defend your rights with a high powered scoped rifle. But unless the teacher was blind he should have understood the message and maybe he was picking a fight against the NRA.

That last paragraph is wild ass speculation. The chances of anyone talking now are slim because of his age and the threat of lawsuit.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,874,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

2) boy complies

Pray tell, to whom was it "a distraction"? The teacher? If that's the case (which the story so far supports) would that be to the teacher's politics? Too bad, the teacher's politics should be left at the door to begin with.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Pray tell, to whom was it "a distraction"? The teacher? If that's the case would that be to the teacher's politics? Too bad, the teacher's politics should be left at the door to begin with.
If guns weren't allowed he wouldn't be able to wear his state flag on a t-shirt. For God's sake there's someone with a hatchet on that flag! That can only mean a murder is about to take place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies