Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister k View Post
wrong.

pigs were wrong and the school sux.

Homeskool'
Quote:
enuf' sed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Were you homeschooled? (or "homeskooled," as you might put it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:06 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
14-year-old at the center of "NRA T-Shirt Controversy" now facin - WTRF 7 News Sports Weather - Wheeling Steubenville

This is where the blood sucking state worshipers are leading this country. I don't care if you're for or against guns, this is what an out of control government looks like on even a local level.
The video clip is completely void of meaningful details.

So let me get this straight.

1. The cop didn't like the kid's shirt.
2. When the cop tried to tell the kid he didn't like his shirt, the kid wouldn't stop talking.
3. So cop arrests kid.

Hmmmmm.

I was unaware we needed cop approval on our wardrobe.

The cop needs to be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This has nothing to do with protecting constitutional rights

The kid mouthed off to a cop and did not want to by quiet while the cop was talking to him. This all could have been avoided by simply not wearing the shirt to school or simply removing it when asked.
Do you get cop approval on what you're wearing before you leave your house each day? I don't, and wouldn't put up with it even if I were married to one.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:06 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
I wonder if this young boy would have been in trouble if his T-shirt read " I love Obama."

Doubt it. I think y'all can agee, huh?

But what if it said "I dislike Obama." or "Obama is a clown."

Wearing a statement on a T-shirt IS an act of free speech, is it not?

AND the 1st Amendment was written with the purpose of people being able to express "unpopular" opinions. Not so much to express the popular or accepted opinions.
There's no such thing as "freedom of speech" in a school - they make the rules, you either follow them or face the consequences. Many schools around here (like the one I attended) have a no t-shirt policy, so yes, an Obama shirt would have been violating the rules too... well, a Clinton shirt in my high school years.

Why do you assume the rules were only applied because it was an NRA shirt? Do you know the school's dress code policy, or are you just ASSuming? I don't agree with your assumption there, no, and I also don't agree a kid should be free to wear and do whatever they want on school grounds. Heck, I was asked to change for wearing a tie-dyed shirt to class once, and that's about as hippie/liberal as it gets (and I went to a very liberal-minded private school in the Bay Area, nonetheless). Do you think there are ZERO limits on our freedoms? If so you are very naive and unaware of how our nation's laws work.

Bottom line, he has every right to wear that shirt at home, but the rules at school apply to everyone. And I'm not even anti-gun, for the record! So if this truly were a case of singling out somebody JUST for the words "NRA," then I would agree this is ridiculous. But it's not, and you all know it.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
I wore "I Like Ike" buttons to school, and so did a lot of kids. Nobody told us to take them off.

Thank God I was raised in a sane environment.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
He was causing NO disruption until the teachers and oinkers stepped in.
If you have the videotape post it. Otherwise it's just your imagination.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
1. The cop didn't like the kid's shirt.
2. When the cop tried to tell the kid he didn't like his shirt, the kid wouldn't stop talking.
3. So cop arrests kid.

Hmmmmm.

I was unaware we needed cop approval on our wardrobe.

The cop needs to be fired.

Do you get cop approval on what you're wearing before you leave your house each day? I don't, and wouldn't put up with it even if I were married to one.
Oh good grief. Who said the cop didn't like the t-shrit? This has nothing to do with wardrobe aprovement and you know it.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This has nothing to do with protecting constitutional rights

The kid mouthed off to a cop and did not want to by quiet while the cop was talking to him. This all could have been avoided by simply not wearing the shirt to school or simply removing it when asked.

Heil Hitler!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This article had more details, he disobeyed both the teacher and police officer. He could have simply just turned the t-shirt inside out, arrest seems to be a bit of an overkill, they should have just suspended him and let him remain in the principals office.

West Virginia teen suspended, arrested after wearing NRA shirt returns to school in the same shirt - NY Daily News
chillen should be seen not heard, is that the new liberal motto?
Aren't you the same people that throw a tantrum if someone mentions God in these schools, yet you are supporting a worship of authority. This young man's T shirt was free speech. Nobody has the right to take that from him.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Really, it's mostly just the U.S.

I'm starting to think I don't want to live here any more either, but probably for the exact opposite reason that you feel that way.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Heil Hitler!
And you're out!

Godwin's Law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies