Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,552,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Who is anti immigrant?

If anything, if anyone comes here & refuse to learn and absorb American culture is Anti - American.
And what IS American Culture?

Nobody has really ever been able to explain that to me. Does that mean I have to watch Nascar or eat hotdogs or else I'm not a 'real' American? Does it mean I have to be a diehard capitalist? Does it mean I have to live in a certain area or have certain political beliefs?

I see so many people on this board professing 'personal responsibility' but can you have a real culture if everyone is out for themselves and couldn't care less about anything beyond their own nose?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,064,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And what IS American Culture?

Nobody has really ever been able to explain that to me. Does that mean I have to watch Nascar or eat hotdogs or else I'm not a 'real' American? Does it mean I have to be a diehard capitalist? Does it mean I have to live in a certain area or have certain political beliefs?

I see so many people on this board professing 'personal responsibility' but can you have a real culture if everyone is out for themselves and couldn't care less about anything beyond their own nose?
American culture is believing and following the constitution.... other than that it is subjective

Oh, by the way.... I have a P.E.N.I.S. ....and I am proud of it

Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,552,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
American culture is believing and following the constitution.... other than that it is subjective

Oh, by the way.... I have a P.E.N.I.S. ....and I am proud of it
Even the constitution is subjective and up for interpretation, which is why amendments are allowed.

So...there is no culture, rather the entirety of our culture is subjective and different for each individual. So when we ask immigrants to 'assimilate', what exactly are we asking?

And my tagline was based on Rep. Lisa Brown getting barred from the Michigan House floor because she said the word vagina.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Even the constitution is subjective and up for interpretation, which is why amendments are allowed.

So...there is no culture.

And my tagline was based on Rep. Lisa Brown getting barred from the Michigan House floor because she said the word vagina.
Uh, yeah there is culture here. The left wants to pick and choose based o their ideology lately like the 2nd in particular but it doesn't mean that the constitution is just some rag for someone like you to degrade. And my response was in response to your dumb tagline which indicates you want to get people to pay attention to you. That is some cowardly stuff right there

Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM

775 posts, read 737,276 times
It's interesting how three quarters of all social conservative positions are so close to blatant racism/bigotry that a few random changes in sentence construction would make their speeches indistinguishable from a white supremacist article.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,902,878 times
When the nativists speak of American culture what they really mean is someone that is a white, English speaking person of Western European ancestry. They will dance around the issue and evade direct questions, but it is blatantly obvious that is what they mean.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,936,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
When the nativists speak of American culture what they really mean is someone that is a white, English speaking person of Western European ancestry. They will dance around the issue and evade direct questions, but it is blatantly obvious that is what they mean.

OK, but isn't the idea of coming here to America to get away from the bull**** from the place that they came from, and not bring it with them?

Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
It's interesting how three quarters of all social conservative positions are so close to blatant racism/bigotry that a few random changes in sentence construction would make their speeches indistinguishable from a white supremacist article.
Its interesting that three quarters of your posts are filled with some vile hatred toward everyone who disagrees with you.... which is most people

So, you are even more intolerant that the folks you refer to as being intolerant....

Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 968,621 times
Quote:

So...there is no culture, rather the entirety of our culture is subjective and different for each individual. So when we ask immigrants to 'assimilate', what exactly are we asking?

Subjective and open to interpretation?

Not quite. The words have one meaning only, it isnt open to interpretation based upon someones political opinions.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 PM

775 posts, read 737,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Its interesting that three quarters of your posts are filled with some vile hatred toward everyone who disagrees with you....
Ad hominem mixed with laughable hypocrisy; the entire OP is dedicated to hating on people who don't speak English and aren't "american" (read: white conservative affluent males), even when many consider the defining feature of "american" to be the toleration of all backgrounds of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies