Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
When did I blame Republicans and when did I blame it on spending cuts?

You specifically said and I quote:

Quote:
Governor Tom Corbett of Pennsylvania is closing 23 public schools and laying off nearly 3,000 employees in order to close a $304 Million budget deficit.....
Since I'm from PA I'm well aware of the assault on all sides including the media blaming Corbett for these cuts. I can onlt surmise since you are blaming Corbett you are the belief he's responsible for these deficits that are facing many schools in PA that took this additional funding and hired new staff instead of wisely investing it in other resources for the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Only 2/3 of students who reach high school graduate. Could probably save a chunk of change weeding the other 1/3 out.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
As many have posted schools getting closed isn't a spur of the moment malicious decision. It's about what is practical.
Old building, drop in enrollment, consolidate.
40 years ago the school district I attended closed several schools and consolidated.
The screams about needing to bus student were unending. We were laying off good people. Education would suffer...
They did need to layoff some people. They were no longer needed. We shouldn't be manufacturing a position or paying people a salary if they are not needed.
As for this is destroying the greatest public school system in the world argument?
The declining SAT tests results of our students might argue that it was in decline before Gov Corbett closed those schools.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You specifically said and I quote:

Since I'm from PA I'm well aware of the assault on all sides including the media blaming Corbett for these cuts. I can onlt surmise since you are blaming Corbett you are the belief he's responsible for these deficits that are facing many schools in PA that took this additional funding and hired new staff instead of wisely investing it in other resources for the school.
What is "blaming"? I stated FACTS.

He is closing schools and firing employees in order to close a budget deficit.
If Corbett means that much to you and that statement is that offensive to you...oh well.

Why do people take everything so personal and break their necks to defend these disgusting slimy politicians?

Maybe the budget deficit is the fault of the department but it is inconceivable to spend so much money on prisons IMO and I will not let the Governor spend my tax money privatizing the lottery with a British Corporation, giving tax breaks to his corporate lackies and building and funding more and more prisons when our laws are presently unjust and self-defeating.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
You'd rather spend tax-payer money on extremely expensive prisons than educating our youth-when we already have the largest prison population and incarceration rate in the World, completely unjust laws, racially biased sentencing and a WAR that has become our nation's longest and costliest solely being waged in deindustrialized areas with severe lack of opportunity.

No need to discuss this any further with you, as you're part of the problem.
Yes, for the "problem" youth. We actually have people in these schools that want to learn and improve themselves. The stupid idea that we have to try to educate every useless, violent gang banger or drug dealer is just asinine. Expel the ones that are causing the problems and give the decent kids a chance. It isn't a racial issue, this goes on across all racial lines.

Lock the criminals up for a good, long time. Provide some protection for innocent people and society as a whole by locking up these violent animals after the first violent offense or major felony (burglary, breaking and entering, car theft).

Oh, if you're concerned about the costs, I agree. Let Joe Arpiao offer some suggestions on how to reduce costs. Eliminating TV, weight rooms, entertainment and nice meals and save some cash. Prison should actually be unpleasant and seen as something to avoid, not a place for three hot meals and room and board.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times
Quote:
What is "blaming"? I stated FACTS.

He is closing schools and firing employees in order to close a budget deficit.
and again.....you are ignoring the facts as of why they need to close the schools.
I guess if it was Ed Rendell you would be on his side.

Quote:
If Corbett means that much to you and that statement is that offensive to you...oh well.
yeah oh well., and you same people get up in arms when St. Obama gets attacked.

Quote:
Why do people take everything so personal and break their necks to defend these disgusting slimy politicians?
plunk!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If they haven't paid taxes in decades, then the loss of property tax is not sudden. It is hard to be sympathetic to a city government that chooses not to solve problems when they should.

To close the $304M gap - they can raise taxes (on who?) and/or cut spending.
Let me guess, the same city leaders keep getting voted into office.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:

He is closing schools and firing employees in order to close a budget deficit. If Corbett means that much to you and that statement is that offensive to you, oh well.
Then you are laying the blame on the non existent Corbett "cuts".

Quote:
Why do people get so personal and defend these slimy politicians?
I like Corbett a lot, he's making hard decisions many of which are not politically motivated but just the right decisions. Your argument about the spending on the jail is irrelevant as far as school budgets go becsue as I already pointed the state of PA already has one of the highest rates per student in the country.

Quote:
giving tax breaks to his corporate lackies
Presumably you are talking about the BP plant? These are the facts, if PA doesn't give out those tax breaks some other state will and there go the jobs and taxes it will generate. Unless you eliminate this practice in every state it's going to continue

Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times
yes they do. Philly has been democrat for 50+ years. It's the status quo that is the problem.
the other problem is the "DROP" program created by fast Eddie Rendell and cohorts but thats another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Let me guess, the same city leaders keep getting voted into office.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and again.....you are ignoring the facts as of why they need to close the schools.
I guess if it was Ed Rendell you would be on his side.

yeah oh well., and you same people get up in arms when St. Obama gets attacked.

plunk!

Enough with the pathetic partisan politics!-I HATE all politicians except probably Bernie Sanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies