Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You know what else nobody likes? People who illegally park blocking driveways. My boss isn't exactly thrilled when I have to call in because someone has a half foot of their car blocking part of my (very tight, tandem parked, shared) driveway, blocking me (and my roommate) in. I have to call the cops a few times a month - though I try to preempt lateness by checking a few times a day to make sure it doesn't happen. You better believe I'd love a cut for my troubles.
This kinda hit home for me. I used to drive a logging pung (sled) refit to haul tourists with a team of Belguin horses, and one night with a sled of about 23 souls heading to my trail head from the parking a lot some guy in a jeep station wagon parked ahead of me between 2 signs made of 2 full sheets of plywood white background and big red letters stating to not block the trail. i just happened to be there at the same time he was parking, and so he moved when I told him he could not block my trail.

Well on the way back out 45 minutes later with my passengers still, and heading for the next ride there that jeep was. I am no city boy, and so the whole thing was simple for me. I spun the rig in it's place passengers and all and chained up that jeep and dragged it into my trail about 300 yards to a iced over pull out I had made for a snowmobile trail crossing place.

I just unchained the jeep on the side and left it there. 1 AM came which was quitting time and the owner never appeared. Oh well and so i went home.

In the morning on my way to another job i did the desk at the Inn called and that guy got on the phone and oh boy was he mad. Seems his 4x4 jeep was stuck!

I told him to enjoy the day skiing because i am a working man and was on my way to work, that I would be there with the team around 4 pm

That didn't make his mood any better, and during the day he called me at work somehow coming by that number. I learned he had big Elite friends down in Mass working for DOT. The whole problem was I live in NH and I don't give a rats ass about Mass and or DOT, and I told him I wasn't going to pull his rig out for less that $125.00 just because he upset me making threats.

Late in afternoon I got a call from a wrecker driver I knew. He was stuck in the trail too, and i told him he would wait till I got there as well and he was at risk for being arrested for TRESPASSING, and to tell the DOT guy I wanted $150 bucks now or no deal.

4 pm came and i was on time for my rides. I twitched out the wrecker but not the DOT guy because he refused to pay. So I did my first ride and just left him there. The next pass by he had a check and I just laughed at him, and said 175 cash..... Last offer, Ice Out will take that jeep down the river in Spring and the EPA will arrested you, and fine you 10K and that won't bother me a bit, further more you will be arrested for TRESPASSING as will anyone else you get in this property.

At 1 AM I had the cash and he got his rig towed out.... Not very PC eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Of course I have that ability today and would exercise it in the event of a hit and run. I have put a post-it note on a non-handicapped driver repeatedly parking in a handicapped spot where I work. Is that good enough for you?

I think the evidence shows the vast majority of citizens are passive, not active, about dealing with the problems in their cities and neighborhoods. Creating a small incentive might change that. We will never have enough law enforcement. So the consequence is further passive behavior.

I would expect that active enforcement of parking ordinances would effectively reduce the rate of illegal parking.

I think it is worth trying.
I must be a terrible citizen, because I admit that sometimes when I go pick up my Chinese food, I just run in without putting money in the meter, and a couple of times, I even parked in the yellow to run and put a letter in the mailbox Is this 'crime' really deserving of the pitchforks that have seemed to come out in this thread? Hasn't everyone here parked where they weren't sure they should have or even knew they shouldn't have, at least once?

I just think a lot of the problems we are having in the country today are because of how divided we are as a nation. I feel like our leaders, both in the private and public sectors (not just current leaders) have gained a lot of control by turning us against each other, and it's only hurting us. Honestly I think they are using us, and it disturbs me that it seems to be working so well. I think things like this app are not anything to be welcomed, but just another way to make us feel even more separate from our neighbors, when what we need is the opposite.

I want to add, I probably have more problems with people who park illegally than most here, as I live in a resort town, and come home to find someone in my reserved spot at least 6 or 7 times a summer, which is the most annoying thing in the world as there's no other place to park except paid lots. But I and anyone else can just pull out their phone and call the police or the tow truck. It's not that I want people to be able to park illegally and get away with it, but the whole idea of the paid vigilantism, is just not a road I think we need to go down.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-18-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You ever cook a frog? I guess not. You can put a frog in a pan of water alive on the stove with a low heat. That frog can't tell there is heat because they just don't work that way. That frog will just sit there and when the water gets too hit it will die.

It won't ever try to get out. It won't sense danger. This is the first step to the last step of removing all Freedoms.

The govt will get people used to busting other people for the simplest infractions. The day will come when brother will turn in brother siblings will turn in their parents.

The Govt is already out of control..... The PC love that. There will be a day when the Govt has no use for the PC either. Being PC is being insane.

The PC can justify and make rational the most immoral behaviors. It's what being PC is.
And the frog is really close to boiling now.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Awesome, my old neighborhood in Portland, Or was right next to the college and we always had tons of people illegally parking on my street to the point that I had parking enforcement in my phone numbers on my phone. An app would of made it so much easier and would of made the city so much money.
Yep, I see this as a good thing.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Yep, I see this as a good thing.
A nation of techno rats? What's next ? Maybe turning in some Jews to the Nazis? BAD idea.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Can I take pictures of perfectly healthy people bebopping out of a car with handicapped tags for their 4 hour shopping spree at the mall?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Can I take pictures of perfectly healthy people bebopping out of a car with handicapped tags for their 4 hour shopping spree at the mall?
That would be good. Handicapped parking is one of the biggest scams in the USA.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How do you know that they're healthy? I had people say the most awful things to me when I - a seemingly healthy person in her early 20s - parked in a handicapped spot. What they didn't know was that I was going through chemo and there are about 15 reasons why I needed the handicapped spot - numbness in feet (fine on even surfaces but New England frost heaved pavement had me faceplant more than once), lung damage, and sudden onset fatigue were just a few.

Just because someone LOOKS healthy doesn't mean they are. And plenty of people have handicapped placards because they don't know when a "bad day" is going to strike. I passed out once in the store because the exertion of grabbing something off the top shelf was too much and thank goodness I was parked right up front so I could get myself to my car without any huge trouble. Rested up for half an hour and then was able to make it back home. I didn't have anyone to go grocery shopping, to the pharmacy, etc for me - and even my social worker at the hospital seemed surprised by how "healthy" I looked (ie I didn't lose all my hair and I gained weight rather than losing it).

That's why handicapped placards are so difficult to catch when someone is cheating the system. It's not the same with illegal parking where it's generally pretty clear cut.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This kinda hit home for me.
snip
At 1 AM I had the cash and he got his rig towed out.... Not very PC eh?
My only retribution other than calling the police/tow truck would be to back my baby Civic into the offending car (almost always a much larger car) until it moves. :P

Luckily the police are only two blocks away, but I was even made late by 3 hours going to chemo once because some jerk parked RIGHT behind my car in my driveway. We do have a wider driveway than normal, but still!

Old 08-05-2019, 04:56 AM

11 posts, read 9,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I must be a terrible citizen, because I admit that sometimes when I go pick up my Chinese food, I just run in without putting money in the meter, and a couple of times, I even parked in the yellow to run and put a letter in the mailbox Is this 'crime' really deserving of the pitchforks that have seemed to come out in this thread? Hasn't everyone here parked where they weren't sure they should have or even knew they shouldn't have, at least once?

I just think a lot of the problems we are having in the country today are because of how divided we are as a nation. I feel like our leaders, both in the private and public sectors (not just current leaders) have gained a lot of control by turning us against each other, and it's only hurting us. Honestly I think they are using us, and it disturbs me that it seems to be working so well. I think things like this app are not anything to be welcomed, but just another way to make us feel even more separate from our neighbors, when what we need is the opposite.

I want to add, I probably have more problems with people who park illegally than most here, as I live in a resort town, and come home to find someone in my reserved spot at least 6 or 7 times a summer, which is the most annoying thing in the world as there's no other place to park except paid lots. But I and anyone else can just pull out their phone and call the police or the tow truck. It's not that I want people to be able to park illegally and get away with it, but the whole idea of the paid vigilantism, is just not a road I think we need to go down.
I am deliberately necro-posting this because OCNJGIRL was so spot on, nearly six or seven years ago. Long before Trump was even a factor.

Almost eerie how spot on this is!

-TS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies