Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:17 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,384,619 times

Advertisements

If it's a dual-income household, I think it's getting into the lower part of the upper middle class. If it's a single income, I think it's getting into the higher upper middle. I'm just basing this on the national median income being $44k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,740,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
My question is, If rent is 4K a month and that is on the low end how are so many poor people living in NYC. And 170 K a year even in Houston you could like a minor king. And are you saying that teachers and police officers and fireman in NYC make at least 170 K a year ? And one more question, Why does it cost so much to live in NYC?
Well.... I make far more than the minimum wage. I'm getting the F out of here because it is too GD expensive here. (Use of profanity for emphasis).

Old 11-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
The further away you live from the City, the cheaper the rent. Also, my cousin lived in an $5K/month apartment with two or three other girls. Her room wasn't any bigger than my closet. I am not exaggerating.

If you were single, sure, but with $170K/year you'd probably live in nice diggs, which doesnt' come cheap. If you were a family of 5 with a mortgage payment, I'd say you'd live comfortably. It's all about perspective.

NYC cops make a LOT of money. I don't know how much but it's definitely more than the average joe. I doubt they get paid enough to support a family AND live within Manhattan though. My BIL (chef) and his wife (teacher) lived about 1.5 hours away from the city and had to commute every day into Manhattan. That's a 3hour commute, daily. They did not live there long and moved back south.

If you've ever been to NYC, you'll understand why. Too many people and not enough land.

People often commute from PA (about 2 hours away)

Starting cops make around $30K a year.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:34 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,936,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

Cops here in the Bay Area make about $70k starting in Oakland and SF and $95k after 5 years. LOL!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:56 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,258,561 times
Quote:
Well.... I make far more than the minimum wage. I'm getting the F out of here because it is too GD expensive here. (Use of profanity for emphasis).
Come on out here to the Northwest. Lots of room, and more trees than people.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:08 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,359,949 times
In my opinion, if you have to work for your money, your still working class. When you have enough money that the money works for you (as in it earns enough interest that you don't have to work) thats when you call yourself rich.

That theory is courtesy of Bill Cosby.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:35 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,225,329 times
Quote:

That's base salary though, right? I'm sure they work a ton of OT. I guess I was misinformed or perhaps the pay increases significantly with experience. Yeah, I hear about the PA commute ... I can't believe it!

Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Come on out here to the Northwest. Lots of room, and more trees than people.
We have chosen Denver. We're going to leave after I'm vested at my company, in about 12 months.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
That's base salary though, right? I'm sure they work a ton of OT. I guess I was misinformed or perhaps the pay increases significantly with experience. Yeah, I hear about the PA commute ... I can't believe it!
It's the base salary, without OT. But then if you are working a ton of OT on a $30K base, you have to work a whole lot of hours to have a decent income.

The salary steps rise pretty rapidly though. But remember, the NY Metro, a 3 bedroom house in a mediocre neighborhood is going to cost you 1/2 million.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:11 AM

149 posts, read 385,711 times
I agree - $170k is definitely mid-upper middle class. But that's only if it's an individual. If it's two people, then I consider that middle class.

To me, one would have to have a personal income of over $200k to be considered upper-upper middle class. But a family with a combined income of $200k would not.

However, if that family had a combined income of $300k or more, I'd say they were upper-upper middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies