Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No you cant buddy YOU WERE BORN THAT WAY!! (Like those who are GAY like the same sex)

Those who are excessivly FAT cannot help it,they were born with a gene that does not let up easily!
No, it's usually caused by environmental conditions ie eating too much of the wrong kind of food and not exercising.

Just like skin cancer is caused by you going out into the sun and not using sunscreen. Doesn't make melanoma any less of a disease.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, it's usually caused by environmental conditions ie eating too much of the wrong kind of food and not exercising.
My parents had seven children. Six of us were skinny; skinny as children and as adults.
My younger sister was chubby (fat). Born chubby; chubby as a child and as an adult.

We all ate the same food. We were not well off.

What could be the explanation for that? One out of seven, fat.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus
Please read this and become informed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-problems.html

Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Being overweight is not a disease. Lack of self-control (put down the fork) IS a disease. The cure is putting down the fork.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My parents had seven children. Six of us were skinny; skinny as children and as adults.
My younger sister was chubby (fat). Born chubby; chubby as a child and as an adult.

That's a great question. Maybe one of the resident experts on obesity and how it should be treated will chime in soon with a few sacks of venom and bile.

The rage some people express concerning obese people is puzzling - why they have such a hostile approach is something I wonder about. It has shades of self-loathing from my perspective.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Yes, hence my use of the word "usually", and not the word "always".

Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:

Six were "lucky" and one wasn't. Obviously, the one needed to eat less.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't think this country had that disease in 1970.

Where did it come from?

When did this disease explode?

Have people always been predisposed to the disease of obesity or was there less access and fewer trash food choices?
It stems from a bad economy. Too many people, not enough jobs. People losing hope in the American dream, and too many foreigners coming here looking for it. Too much immigration, aka relaxed immigration quotas allowing too many people into the country to compete for jobs, subsidies. Overcrowding, more traffic than ever before, too much STRESS. Increased COL; rents going higher and higher, people not able to find jobs, or jobs that pay enough to live/survive. People losing their homes, property taxes going up at faster rate than 3% inflation, politicians don't care!

More people suffering from depression than ever before. More drug addiction, more people looking for an escape! More alcoholism, need to escape the misery. Yeh, move to where there are more jobs!....oh, but millions of other Americans have already done that, and now there are no jobs anywhere. But, let in more immigrants. Cost of gasoline! Got to budget for $4 a gallon for gasoline to get to my job that doesn't pay enough. Cost of oil to heat my apartment or house, skyrocketing! --also, between 3.50 and 4.00 a gallon. Electric bills escalating too. Not enough subsidies to cover the cost. Or, making a bit too much to be eligible for subsidies to get some much needed help! Tuition costs keep rising out of pace with inflation! Many colleges raising tuition 5X the rate of inflation in past couple of years? Why? Because they can! Foreign students subsidize colleges, when not enough citizens can afford school. State colleges no longer able to rely on enough tax dollars, thus tuition goes up. College graduates can't find jobs! College graduates can't pay back exorbitant amount of college debt! Going into default! Your kids can't find summer jobs while in school. More jobs being outsourced! Export the jobs, and let in more people. Yeh, let in more immigrants! Sympathize with the ones who are here illegally, and to hell with the citizens. Focus on foreigners who insist on their "right" to come here regardless, and to compete, and or collect unsustainable subsidies. Depletion of subsidies. More homelessness than ever before. People who need, but unable to afford healthcare, not able to afford needed prescription medication, so they go without. ----Should I go on? Care to add any of your own?

So, what else is there??? How about, something that's cheap, that can ease the PAIN, that's always there, that doesn't complain: FOOD. On every street corner there are cheap fast food restaurants too, dunkin donuts. Combine that with depression or addiction disorder and it snowballs. It is definitely not 1970 any more, your country has been taken over!

Last edited by 9162; 06-19-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Still usually caused by environmentals. If you are predisposed then you have to watch what you eat even more and exercise more than people who are not. I'm not being unsympathetic, but at the end of the day, for most people - not all - what you eat has a direct effect on how much you weigh.

I'm an alcoholic and so is my mother, and so was my father, so I'm genetically predisposed to alcoholism. Unfortunately the only cure for that is not to drink. Not fair, but reality nonetheless. Before I stopped drinking I most definitely had the disease of addiction. But I stopped, and now I don't. Some things are temporary, but when they're active they're real just the same.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Being overweight is not a disease. Lack of self-control (put down the fork) IS a disease. The cure is putting down the fork.
Not talking about being overweight. Being overweight by 20 pounds and being clinically/morbidly obese are two separate things entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies