Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM

1,511 posts, read 971,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Our founding fathers did NOT select "In god we trust" as our national motto. That garbage didn't start up until 1956.

E pluribus unum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
thank you for pointing this out. a vote in favor of "in god we trust" is a support of chosen faith, but not a social policy that favors freedom of religion. anybody that understands the concepts of our freedoms understands that no specific belief set should be imposed onto us. i dont trust in god, but im an american. where does that leave me? forced to accept it? thats no freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,316,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Well, somebody should've told the folks who actually wrote the Constitution, since the word "God" doesn't appear in it once.

The wonderful thing about America is that it has a secular government with a godless constitution. If there's anything worth defending about America, that's it.
Actually I would consider the preamble to the Declaration of Independance as defining "what America as a nation is all about",Life liberty and happiness comes from our Creator,and the Consitution is ours laws to prevent anyone from subverting those rights.

In many other godless societies like Castro,Soviet Russia,China and such they subvert religion to make themselves or the state as god.So regardless whether you believe in god or not,it's in our best interests to not allow people or government to claim themselves as god.

So,yes in God I trust.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,439,233 times
The article says that "In God We Trust" is "the nation's motto." That isn't true. Our nation doesn't have an official "motto," what tripe. We have a motto that is placed specifically on coins and legal tender. Period. But of course that isn't enough to PLEASE THE MULLAHS. The mullahs should tape $1 bills to their foreheads with the words "In God We Trust" circled and highlighted.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.
-Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,069,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't think trusting in an imaginary sky-daddy is the "right track", but whatever.
Just because you don't believe in it doesn't give you the right to belittle it by using the label: 'imaginary sky-daddy'

Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,819,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Yepper. The only roadblock to this WONDERFUL step in the right direction will be the far leftwing nutcases of the ACLU [Mod Cut] will sue and try to bully the school. I hope they FIGHT this out! We can win as there aren't as many liberal activist judges in higher courts than it used to be!! ^_^

Last edited by ontheroad; 11-06-2007 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate reference.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,361,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's strange. It doesn't prohibit Congress opening each day's session with a prayer...
So opening invocations by different individuals of different faiths to a government body of adults of many different faiths who can choose to attend the prayer session or not is the same as putting in issues of faith to impressionable young children under the direction of school authority, you consider those to be the same?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Yepper. The only roadblock to this WONDERFUL step in the right direction will be the far leftwing nutcases of the ACLU [Mod Cut] will sue and try to bully the school. I hope they FIGHT this out! We can win as there aren't as many liberal activist judges in higher courts than it used to be!! ^_^
Looks like I’ll have to contribute more money to the ACLU when a concerned citizen and parent sues the school for violation of the Establishment Clause. Take the religious issues of faith back where they belong, in home and/or church. Whiny people who feel they need to push their faith on children really tell me they have such weak belief in their own god they need to force it on to the public.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 11-06-2007 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 12:28 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,069,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
So opening invocations by different individuals of different faiths to a government body of adults of many different faiths who can choose to attend the prayer session or not is the same as putting in issues of faith to impressionable young children under the direction of school authority, you consider those to be the same?

No one's forcing these children to pray. Putting a poster in a school isn't forcing faith on any child. Your argument could apply to virtually every single kind of advertisement in schools today.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:37 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,294,176 times
It's sad that school systems choose to waste their tax payer's money by doing things like this. OBVIOUSLY there'll be a lawsuit with TONS of legal fees.

But keep on, as attorneys fees won through lawsuits fatten the ACLU's coffers!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
No one's forcing these children to pray. Putting a poster in a school isn't forcing faith on any child. Your argument could apply to virtually every single kind of advertisement in schools today.
I lived in Southern California for many years near Bakersfield and am very familiar with Jacquie Sullivan and her methods and ideals. She’s been pushing religion and prayer into schools and city councils. That’s the end goal for her. This is just a stepping stone for her to get her brand of christianity into the schools. I’m not looking at this in a vacuum, I’ve seen her history of attempts and fights.

It isnt prayer but it tries to wedge a belief system to children that this nation is “founded” on religion and if they don’t go towards the authority’s preferred brand, then they are outsiders. How do kids feel being outsiders?

Not the same as any othe kind of advertisement, that’s not even a close comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies