Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,417,849 times

Advertisements

This is from the link provided:

The classroom displays were first suggested by the non-profit group In God We Trust — America Inc., whose president, Jacquie Sullivan, is a Bakersfield councilwoman.

"I encouraged the trustees to put this on the agenda," she said. "It's very important. We need to promote patriotism and promote it in our schools. We can’t just assume that the younger generations are going to have that strong love for God and their country the way the older generations do."

Sullivan's organization has offered to provide funding for the project at Kern.

The councilwoman, who said she is a registered Republican and a Christian who attends a local Baptist church, told FOXNews.com that she has neither a religious nor political agenda in pushing for the measure.
-------
"no religious nor political agend", LOL, right. Of course this is what she would say, one couldn't actually be honest about these things, right?

Interestingly enough, the same people that support this would be screaming bloody murder if this were coming from a non christian group, promoting for example the worshipping of trees... (now THAT I could go for :-))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 01:10 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Where is the contradiction? Appearently you seem to feel that young children can face the same issues as adults. There is a big difference between adults and children and what they are exposed to. If you continue to feel there isnt, then there isnt anything else I can say.

It seems that you're saying children have no constitutional protections. Surely you don't mean that.

Schools and government should not show a preference to any religion. That is a matter of the home, family, and churches. Why do people feel they need government endorsement. Why do they feel their faith and god is so weak they need government to help prop it up?

You're certainly entited to your opinion. But opinion does not constitute proof.

You probably wouldn’t know because they are too busy hiding in bathroom stalls.
At their age? Must be constipation.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 PM

397 posts, read 263,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I believe in God, I DIDN'T vote Bush, and I served my country as many of my family members, and I'm stupid for it and don't belong here? What makes you so deserving to be in the USA over anyone who believes in God?
the US was really founded as a secular country which means if you want to believe in god, do it in your own home

Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,078,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
the US was really founded as a secular country which means if you want to believe in god, do it in your own home
So believe in God in your own home, but when you go to the store then don't believe in God. Got it

Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
I think some people have religion mixed up with bondage.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Why do "christians" feel they have to push their religion and their "god" on everyone????
I see this on this board again and again. As others have said, how would they feel if islam or hinduism was pushed onto your children? I won't hold my breath for an honest answer on that one.
It's really very simple. It's because the Holy Bible says that the only way to have eternal life is by accepting Jesus Christ as your savior. We will also be forgivened and redeemed of our sins. You are supposed to have faith in that being true, the Bible commands. The Bible also expects those who are saved to spread the word.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,133,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's really very simple. It's because the Holy Bible says that the only way to have eternal life is by accepting Jesus Christ as your savior. We will also be forgivened and redeemed of our sins. You are supposed to have faith in that being true, the Bible commands. The Bible also expects those who are saved to spread the word.
Public school is not the place for you to evangelize.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,251,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That's right. But, we don't have the freedom to use public funds to promote one particular religion. Any friendly wagers on whether it will be declared unconstitutional?
Sure friendly wager sounds good.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,784,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
See now that's the problem. You can redeem yourself and your family all you want. But I don't need you spreading your word to my kids, thanks.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:26 PM

1,409 posts, read 4,856,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
The establishment clause prevents the government from endorsing or preferring one religious faith over another or faith over no faith. It does not apply to private companies or individuals. It applies to government action and does apply to public schools and not private schools. Public schools are extensions of the government and the establishment clause does apply.
That would seem an entirely plausible argument...EXCEPT that there were no government-run schools when the Constitution was written!

Also, this is the U.S. Constitution we're talking about—not individual state constitutions. It only applies to the Congress and prevents any Federal religious establishment. Public schools are not Federal entities (thank God!) They are run locally, with state oversight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies