Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/sc...e.html?hp&_r=0

Oh, boy. We are bound to get hammered.
The good thing is as long as it isn't a law the next president can throw it out along with demoting the EPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:23 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I believe his words were "under my plan, energy costs will necessarily skyrocket".

Well at least he kept one campaign promise.
We're not "under" his plan. He was also pushing cap and trade which got nowhere. He can't make the bills go up with proposals. I wonder what the deadlines are and if the states can even respond in time that he's in office.

Environment: Whatever Happened to Cap and Trade for Global Warming? - ABC News

What was difficult in this video for me though was I haven't seen many examples of where he's not putting his thoughts out as words very well. To think people still make fun of George Bush but I also heard remarks today about him stammering in Germany though I didn't hear it myself. His polish comes off when the prompter isn't there or it's a softball from Barbara Waters.

Let's see what the OP comes up with. To be true there must have been an actual promise and not referring to this.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Switch to natural gas if you can, it's cheap.
That appears to be the legal obstacle for POTUS. It's like the lightbulb efficiency law. You weren't told you couldn't buy them anymore but they just made the standards hard for 100w to meet. At least with the bulbs Congress had a say on it and not just a mandate. They defunded the phaseout though it looks like the industry has figured out a way to keep incandescents going.

But can a mandate say "the best coal plant is a natural gas plant"? Those are the words of the industry. They are ready to fight.

As said elsewhere on the thread, it could turn in to a lame duck issue. I don't know what has to be done to get the regulations in place but I believe the states have to give feedback and the process could drag. And that's before defunding by Congress or legal challenges.

Did anyone else find it weird Obama was talking about this in Germany? Maybe other presidents talked about the environment too but the way the news ran the footage it was odd. They showed JFG and Reagan soundbites and then Obama talking about greenhouse gasses. Just didn't fit considering the spot he was standing.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The good thing is as long as it isn't a law the next president can throw it out along with demoting the EPA.
I can`t wait.here in Pittsburgh we long for the good old days when we had to burn the streetlights during the day to see through the filth.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
We're not "under" his plan. He was also pushing cap and trade which got nowhere. He can't make the bills go up with proposals. I wonder what the deadlines are and if the states can even respond in time that he's in office.

Environment: Whatever Happened to Cap and Trade for Global Warming? - ABC News

What was difficult in this video for me though was I haven't seen many examples of where he's not putting his thoughts out as words very well. To think people still make fun of George Bush but I also heard remarks today about him stammering in Germany though I didn't hear it myself. His polish comes off when the prompter isn't there or it's a softball from Barbara Waters.

Let's see what the OP comes up with. To be true there must have been an actual promise and not referring to this.
If you think Obama is planning to propose anything to Congress you are sadly mistaken. Obama, as usual, will completely by-pass Congress and have the EPA write new regulations that are not supported by law.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:33 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If you think Obama is planning to propose anything to Congress you are sadly mistaken. Obama, as usual, will completely by-pass Congress and have the EPA write new regulations that are not supported by law.
And spineless crooks of both parties in congress will sit idly by and let him.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
Don't worry. Democrats will get free energy credits. Paid for by Republicans, of course.

And undocumented Democrats probably won't even get bills for the cost.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That's not what I'm saying. I said that part of his plan at the time that video was made was cap and trade. So that part of the plan did not get off the ground.

So yeah of course he's not using Congress. Whether he's bypassing depends on the law. He either has the authority or doesn't. I haven't read the statute. My understanding from the summary is the EPAs publish proposals or regulations that have to be presented to the state.

Obama might get sued at that point or the states will slow stuff down. If it starts to move towards being an adopted regulation then Congress can cut off funding or lawsuits might pop up there. The energy industry has already promised this.

I never said anything about him working with Congress. I said that Congress might work against him.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Don't worry. Democrats will get free energy credits. Paid for by Republicans, of course.

And undocumented Democrats probably won't even get bills for the cost.
You're describing cap and trade. While neither one of have read the proposals (because they aren't done yet) I don't think he can bring in credits without Congress.

Instead he plans on suffocating coal with efficiency standards that already have blocked new coal plants from being built.

Some people consider this a war on coal.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,105,903 times
Oh no, Obama sent a storm just to raise the utility rates in New York? He's more powerful than I gave him credit for!!!.

The utility rates in Miami are just fine, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies