Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's just a word. Get over it.
Get over it? Who are you to say if someone should get over it? I've been called that word and let me tell you, I don't like it. It is not "just a word". People use that word because they have a prejudice against Blacks. I do not want to be around people who would have a prejudice against someone who looks like me. Saying "it's just a word" shows either alot of denial, or someone trying to justify its use of the word. I'm not justifying it at all. I've lost all respect for Paula Deen after this. I didn't have that much respect for her in the first place. However, now that she has said this, forget it.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Quote:
Paula Deen, please step down -

Step down from what? Her front porch?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Get over it? Who are you to say if someone should get over it? I've been called that word and let me tell you, I don't like it. It is not "just a word". People use that word because they have a prejudice against Blacks. I do not want to be around people who would have a prejudice against someone who looks like me. Saying "it's just a word" shows either alot of denial, or someone trying to justify its use of the word. I'm not justifying it at all. I've lost all respect for Paula Deen after this. I didn't have that much respect for her in the first place. However, now that she has said this, forget it.
Translation: I didn't like her before and now I don't like her more.

lol

Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Her exaggerated accent annoyed me. Her unhealthy, butter soaked recipes repulsed me. Her revelation that she hid her diabetes for years had me lose any respect I may have had for her. But now, reading her own words in her deposition, I just want to see her go away for good. What a retched woman, and apparently the rest of her family are cut from the same cloth.

Paula Deen goes viral amid 'N-word' controversy - latimes.com
Step down? From what? She's a celebrity, plain and simple. Don't like her, ignore her. It's what many of us do with other celebrities that say stupid things. Why, just this week I took that tactic with Lil Wayne.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Ok; what Paula said was stupid. But IF we're gonna nail her for the "N" word; we NEED to treat the rappers the SAME, even if THEY'RE "Black". Sheesh!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's just a word. Get over it.
No, it's not. Especially not in the context she allegedly used it in. No one should use it at all, just like they shouldn't use some of the other foul names that are casually bandied about these days, but context can made it far, far worse. This is one of those cases, if accurate.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I know very little about Ms. Deen. However, from what I read she was, at the least, honest in admitting that in her younger days she used the reprehensible word. Indeed, if I were under oath, and asked the same question, I would also have to say "Yes" (teenagers say lots of stupid things, especially when as a group). I tend to believe her that as she has matured she no longer uses the word.

I see some are yapping about Ms. Deen's use of 'butter'. I make my own butter, which has zero affect on my diabetes since it has no carbs. I get more upset with her use of flour, since flour has lots of fast-acting carbs that spike a diabetic's blood sugar. If one limits carbs (I try to keep under 18 total carbs per day), one may control the blood sugar levels, and enjoying fresh butter will have no impact on one's health.*

*Julia Child loved butter, used it all the time, and lived to a ripe old age. She was not, however, diabetic.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
And the controversey or political connection ... is? This discussion is on the wrong forum, IMO.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Her exaggerated accent annoyed me. Her unhealthy, butter soaked recipes repulsed me. Her revelation that she hid her diabetes for years had me lose any respect I may have had for her. But now, reading her own words in her deposition, I just want to see her go away for good. What a retched woman, and apparently the rest of her family are cut from the same cloth.

Paula Deen goes viral amid 'N-word' controversy - latimes.com
And yet you continue to watch her. How funny!!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:19 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Somebody is watching the show. I doubt people want to see some fairy cooking vegan food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies